The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haven't noticed either issue. have had one on patrol before and did the tweaking in my city map and didn't notice any slowdown.

he does have a moving light attached, so should be compared to a torch gaurd.

he has no shadow mesh, but is alot lower poly than the humans.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Don't know anything much about the lantern bot. Did you give it the reduced thinking time? As for the patrol, did you dmap or at least runaas again to recreate pathfinding? If that doesn't solve it then I would try the bot on a plain simple patrol between two close points just to prove you can get it patrolling then move the paths nearer two that you actually want. if it still works then insert a third nearby. If OK, move that further away and so on. If it patrols OK to begin with then it suggests there is some problem with it reaching the paths even if a normal guard can. Also consider trying it on neutral team 5 just in case it is going on low alert without you realizing. That might also explain the fps.

well the team thing made no difference, so I think its wont be used which is a shame as I thought it looked extremely cool in the cathedral.

I have a successfully patrolling lanternbot in Cleighmoor (WIP), and one in the test map lb_dies, which is attached to issue #2226.

If you've set everything up so a guard can patrol the path, the lb should do the same.

What does he do?

the guard works just fine, no probs at all. The bot just sits there, not moving and eating up my fps.

All I can think of is that he's either embedded in the ground or there's something between his starting path_corner and the next path_corner that he thinks he can't get over/around, so he won't move.

DL lb_dies, get rid of the trigger brush that kills the bot, build, and see if he starts walking. If not, then the next step is to give your map to someone so they can try it on their system.

All I can think of is that he's either embedded in the ground or there's something between his starting path_corner and the next path_corner that he thinks he can't get over/around, so he won't move.

Considering it's eating a lot of FPS, I'd think that its more likely that there is something broken in the related code and it's getting stuck in some loop. Could this not be related to the whole water-arrow crash in some way? The ones that crashed for me were always still. I don't have the map files anymore but its possible that the ones Im thinking of were on patrols but I didn't think to check :/

Biker, are you using 1.02 or SVN?

If you are using 1.02 you should put this into def folder, and rename the extention .def

It takes care of some collision issues and will be released with 1.03. If you release sooner just include this.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Ok, taking a small break from my mission and working on rttc.

One thing that has annoyed me greatly for months in every bloody mission i build that func_portals just don't work reliably. What is the reason for this and is there a way around it..?

Example FP:

Portal distance - 500

Distance check - 1.0

Simple FP args, yet the bloody thing refuses to do its job. Is it possible that something in my TDM/DM install is causing this..?And is the arrow on the FP entity meant to do anything..?

Edited by Bikerdude

a - is the FP embedded in a visportal?

b - is the visportal itself working correctly?

c - AFAIK the arrow means nothing

d - try with a small portal_dist so you're up close to the FP when it switches (for debugging)

That's all I can think of. I just used a dozen of them researching issue 2355 and they worked fine (with portal_dist = 256).

I found the distances not accurate so increase it a large amount until it works then decrease it until it works where you want it to work irrespective of the actual numbers.

The arrow I think is just that editor symbol is a general one and on other entities it indicates direction. No relevance here.

Also keep in mind the distance is from the center of the portal to the player, if you have a huge portal, the center might be more far away than the edge of the portal you look at.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

thanks chaps..

Well good news of sorts, I have fixed the FPS in the second new section (that Melan built) So will be handing that back to him so he can continue the expansion of rttc that we are working on..

You lot are gonna love the new areas, lots of places to climb and investigate..

To me it is completely black which suggests something missing in the release. But if you see the body as transparent that suggests you have something extra, a skin or a def? If so, then that suggests what is missing is either the head skin or the correct head def or both. If you tell me what you have under def and/or skins and/or materials etc relating to this (if any) then I can look in SVN for what is missing. Possibly this is already fixed in update 1.03. Anything on bugtracker?

I've not tested this but try it. Copy and paste the following into a text file and save it as say, rev_spirit_head_tempfix.def in your def folder.

entityDef atdm:ai_head_rev_spirit_tempfix
{
"inherit"	"atdm:ai_head_base"
"model"		"head_revenant"
"skin"         "spirits/revenant_spirit"

//immune to flashbombs
"sr_state_2" "0"
       "sr_state_3" "0"

}

Then in your map give the revenant the property/value of:

def_head atdm:ai_head_rev_spirit_tempfix.

If that works you need it with your FM pk4 of course.