The Dark Mod Forums

path_hide

grayman

I'm using path_hide in my map.

Documentation says the AI becomes invisible and non-solid. A comment elsewhere suggests path_hide is useful for removing AI from the map, which is what I want to do.

What it really does is only make the AI invisible. The AI is still solid (I can bump into him), and the AI continues to think, because he'll continue talking. I imagine CPU is used to cycle him through animations; they're just not painted each frame.

So what you get is a blocking, talking, invisible character who's still in the game. Great for a ghost, I suppose.

To remove him completely there are a few ways:

Look through the entities for something like a destroy, delete, entity. I'm unsure without searching myself.

Alternatively use tdm_teleport and move him to a blue room.

Another way is a script. We can tell you how to set that up if you prefer.

Probably trigger all the above using a trigger entity. There is one that specifies it will only work on a named entity. I don't know if a path entity might also trigger the above instead.

We can post more details if needed.

path_hide is one of those D3 paths that we've never really examined much. It's possible that none of those undocumented paths work with TDM code precisely the way they did in D3--no one has really had time to test them all.

What exactly are you trying to do?

I had this exact same issue with an AI (if you've played my FM, you know who I'm talking about; the guy in the warehouse). Path_hide doesn't do the job because he's not really "hidden" (it would be great if he were, then you could bring him in and out and back in...), and I recall having some issue trying to teleport him (or maybe I just didn't understand how to do it properly), so I ended up just throwing him behind an unfrobable door, sort of hackish.

Some good workable solutions to this should be put up on the wiki because it's a useful thing to be able to do.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I'd look at how we did the rats in St. Lucia. They are teleported in on trigger and then eventually are destroyed when they get out of the players POV. I'm not sure exactly how it was done though. I'm going to want to do something similar with AI in my map, so bonus points if someone else can figure it out first. ;)

For the record, here is my previous post on this issue. Doesn't really add any information, but just some thoughts.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thanks for the replies.

Here's what I did:

I wrapped the AI's final path corner in a trigger_once_entityname and gave the trigger the keyword pair "entityname <AI_name>". (The docs don't tell you about this key, but the game will error out if it's not there, and tell you it's missing. A classic "trial by error".)

The trigger targets a func_remove, which has the key "target <AI_name>".

So when he reaches the last path_corner, the trigger recognizes him and tells the func_remove, which takes him out of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

Here's what I did:

I wrapped the AI's final path corner in a trigger_once_entityname and gave the trigger the keyword pair "entityname <AI_name>". (The docs don't tell you about this key, but the game will error out if it's not there, and tell you it's missing. A classic "trial by error".)

Hm, strange, I don't see it mentioned here:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/doc/#entity-trigger_once_entityname

Hm, probably a bug in my code.

Also, seeing that the doc file hasn't been regenerated since 21.1.2010, I just uploaded a new version.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax