The Dark Mod Forums

Black box entity bug:

Bikerdude

Afternoon

Ive had this before, but all I did back then was go back to an earlier save - but this isnt an option now as Ive done too much work since removing what used to be there.

What used to be there was a light source and func_static arch made of patches , so why/how did this box appear in the exact same place..?

post-496-127228944555_thumb.jpg

usually happens when you tie a func_static to an in game model, and that in game model doesn't exist (or the name gets changed between versions), the default object for an unknown object is a box covered with a black material, can also happen if you turn a func_static to a custom item and there's no default model for it, or it doesn't have a collision box. Also happens if you accidently rename your func_static to a model name already in use like an old doom3 model, as when you change the func_static's name the model name also changes.

In the console, enter g_showEntityInfo 1 and then go up close to it in-game and you can note down its entity name which you can then find in Dark Radiant's entity list. Once selected just delete. (If you can only get the entity number not the name then you can find it in Dark Radiant's menu > map > find brush option. Set the brush box to 0 and enter the entity number in the entity box.

In the console, enter g_showEntityInfo 1

didn't work, the black box dosent have a name so I assume its not an entity, but....

i found another way around it...

I did a select all (everything in the map) and saved it as a prefab, then I went back to a much earlier save and did a select all again and deleted (so essentially I was left with a blank map). I then imported the prefab from above and when I dmap'd the phantom black box was gone!

[update-28/05/13]Looking back on this, just exporting the prefab into a new map should also have worked. I can't remember why I did it the above way...

huzza...!!!

Edited by Bikerdude

• 3 years later...

edit: that worked perfectly! I know this post is a bit old but wow I was struggling to solve this problem.

Edited by TylerVocal