The Dark Mod Forums

Top bunk sleeper

Fidcal

Quite a while ago when I made Chalice I tried to get a guard to sleep in a top bunk but had all kinds of strange problems, especially inconsistency and affecting pathfinding. At one time the guard got up and walked out the door flying four feet above the floor clipping through the wall! That's when I gave up.

I had another try today. Seems to be working but needs a lot more testing. If I can refine it and stabilise it I'll probably do a prefab.

http://www.fidcal.com/TEMP/topbunksleeper.avi

Probably can be set up with another AI getting in the bottom bunk from the other side but to get in from the same side might be tricky because of the steps in the way. I'll work on that. ;)

Probably can be set up with another AI getting in the bottom bunk from the other side but to get in from the same side might be tricky because of the steps in the way. I'll work on that.

On the subject has the getting into bed from either side now been sorted..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Getting into a normal bed from either side has always been possible. Add the property lay_down_left 0 so he lays down the opposite direction. Put this on the AI if the AI is using sleeping 1 to be always asleep (unless alerted.) But if you have the AI patrolling to the bed to sleep then put it on on the path_sleep. Wiki article is a rough placeholder but has everything I think; just wants rewriting. ;)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Sleeping_AI

Is it also possible to let an AI patroll, lay down to bed, let sleep a time, and let get back to the patroll route again?

Yes, exactly, that is what is happening in the video but I set him to only sleep for about 5 seconds so you can see him get up again. In the actual FM he sleeps a couple of minutes or so then gets up to check around the cell block. Not realistic but if I set him to 8 hours sleep you'd never see him get up without an alert. So two minutes is just long enough to let you relax your guard as you start to lockpick his footlocker...

or... Briefing: "Before breaking into the vault, i'll insert the sleeping gas i pilfered from the inventors guild into the air filtration system. It switches on once an hour, and the gas will knock out the guards for approximately 3 minutes, just long enough for me to get in and out of the vault with all the M4d L00tZ"

Edited by ungoliant