The Dark Mod Forums

Need help with DR tutorial

PranQster

I was following the Dark Radiant tutorial to learn some basics and got to the part of creating a player start point.

The tutorial says this:

• Press Esc to DEselect everything.
  • In the TOP grid view, point the mouse in the middle of the room and RMB to get a pop up menu. This menu is important so glance at some of the other items on it while you're here. 'Entities' are special function items and the player start is amongst them but there is a shortcut on the menu so instead...
  • Select "Create Player Start here" on the menu. This will create the playerstart entity (red box) and put it where you clicked. Drag the entity around to the point where you want the player to start.

The problem with that is I get an error saying no brush is selected. If I first select the floor and then create a start point, then the start point is stuck in the floor and if I try to move it above the floor then the floor moves with it.

If I try to create a new brush, put the start point in it, and drag the brush into my room, my player ends up stuck on top of an un-textured block.

What's the secret?

Edit: I created a new brush and made it 1 unit cubed (with grid size 8), put my start point in there, and placed it in the room. My first attempt gave me a solid, untextured cube, which I could step off of but not walk past. My second attempt was to lower that brush to the level of the floor. That gave me an untextured square on the floor which I still could not step past. Otherwise I could move around my little tutorial room just fine.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Allow me to clarify...

The tutorial says this:

• Press Esc to DEselect everything.
  • In the TOP grid view, point the mouse in the middle of the room and RMB to get a pop up menu. This menu is important so glance at some of the other items on it while you're here. 'Entities' are special function items and the player start is amongst them but there is a shortcut on the menu so instead...
  • Select "Create Player Start here" on the menu. This will create the playerstart entity (red box) and put it where you clicked. Drag the entity around to the point where you want the player to start.

After creating my room and texturing the walls, floor and ceiling and creating a light... I press ESC to make sure that nothing is selected.

I then right-click the grid within the area of my room and choose "Create Player Start here". An error pops up saying that no brush is selected.

That's it.

That's why I tried creating a brush and applying a player start to it. That works, but obviously adds an unnecessary brush in my map.

I found a solution which works for me, though it is weird.

I reduced the default grid size from 8 to 2. I then created a new brush and made it 2x2x2. I right-clicked on it and created the player start there. I then dragged the brush to a place within the floor near the corner of the room and placed a model nearby so I'd have no ability to walk there anyway. I then deselected all and right-clicked where in the room I actually want my player to start and chose to move the player start to that point.

Worked like a charm.

The brush assigned to player start is hidden out of the way and "beneath the floorboards", so to speak... so no texture-less cube is visible and it does not impede my movement.

I just realized something which would explain a lot.

After DR 1.2 was released, I downloaded the source and built it. I just checked the 'about' info and lo-and-behold... my DR is version 1.1.1

Damnit, I had had downloaded the wrong source.

Though I had all required dependencies installed, I was getting that error when doing ./configure.

After system updates, including new kernel, new nvidia drivers and mesa, followed by a reboot, all is fixed. DR is compiling now. Will check for the other problems after compilation.

Yep! All fixed. DR 1.2.3 is installed and running. The problem with adding a player start position is resolved. Now there is no need for using a brush.

I was wrong. For some reason I still need to attach the plater start position to a brush. Any ideas why?

Edited by PranQster

You might rename your topic subject (if it will) or start a new thread as greebo is pretty busy and probably won't even see this because he will assume it is about the tutorial. Conversely I keep reading it but I can't help with DR techy problems. ;)