The Dark Mod Forums

The making of a LockBox

Nielsen74

I need to hav some doors that are lockede and that can only be opende by lockpicking a lockbox next to the door!

so fare so good smile.gif

I´v setup the door like a footlocker lit and the lockbox is setup like the footlocker body, it all works fine when useing a key but the lockbox fails completely when lockpicking it, it don´t unlock and there by don´t unlock/open the door!

Her you can see the setup on the lockbox it selv!

LockBox.jpg

so the BIG question is; what am I doing worng???

any help!

I don't know what half of those spawnargs are. Where are they from? They are not on the chest prefabs.

lock_pins - you seem to have a negative 2 then a space then a 0. this should instead be something like 21 or 32, ie, two positive values with no spacing for each of the two lock_picktypes defined above it. I believe there is a base of 5 so st with 32 would mean lockpick s with 5+3 = 8 clicks in the sequence and t would have 7 clicks.

I have not heard of the following. I suggest remove them so the entity is like the chest prefabs unless you know something I don't (quite possible!)

lock_target_N

trigger_targets_on_unlock

unlock_target_N

The above look meaningful but I don't know where they come from. The chests work without them. Also using _N I am unsure works with target - _N is normally used in an example or template to be replaced with a number.

I think those spawnargs are leftovers from my atemt´s at makeing it work wacko.gif I´l delete those!

...the spelling, mostly. smile.gif

(just kidding)

I wonder what it is you are trying to achieve with a setup like this. What's wrong with a normal locked door?

I´m not a nativ speaking english!!! coments like that are no help at all!

The doors them selv are non pickable, so you hav to find another way in, but once your in you can just pick the lockbox to get out to the courtyard!

Edited by Nielsen74

I love your work and did not mean to offend you. Sorry.

On Topic: I think the idea is a little strange. Most people wouldn't want their doors to operate only one way. Would be something for rare occasions where extra security is needed. However.

Wouldn't it be easier to make the door unpickable and place the key right where the lockbox is now?

Neilson, make a prefab of the lock, then import into a fresh map and then post that map on here so we can have a look at it for you. I shoudl be able to help as I helped fids with a trapdoor that was giving both of us a head ache.

Edited by Bikerdude

ok takeing what Fidcal sade I startede deleteing spawnargs and came down to that simpel IS better ohmy.gif

LockBox setup

The LockBox it selv:

classname; atdm:froblock

name; what_ever_you_want_it_to_be

lock_picktype; st

lock_pins; 20

locked; 1 (true)

model; what_ever_you_callde_it_by_name

target; func_static_3 (the name of door/gate is should control)

used_by; Master (name of the key (if any) that unlocks the lockbox/door)

right-Lockbox.jpg

Make a lock_handle and stik it in the side of the lockbox so the player can see how fare they are at picking

classname; atdm:mover_lock_handle

name; what_ever_you_want_it_to_be

bind; what_ever_name_you_gave_the_lockbox

solid; 0 (false) so nothing can interfere with the movement of the handle

right-Lockbox-handle.jpg

The Door/gate:

classname; atdm:mover_door

name; func_static_3

locked; 1 (true)

model; models/darkmod/architecture/doors/door128x56_2hinge.lwo (this is just the model for the door)

pickable; 0 (false)

right-Lockbox-door-or-gate.jpg

so thanks for telling me that simpel IS better wink.gif

You needn't bother. It's a predictable and pantomimic melodrama.

The "lockbox" was a sort of catchword for Gore's pledge to save our Social Security System/Scheme/Service (apply that last bit according to which ever bourgeois "variety" you align with)

A nice bit of a throwback, Komag. Despite my semi-serious-cynicism above, it's nice to see someone have more than a seconds-worth of attention-span regarding the political dog-and-pony (dumbass-and-jackass) show. ;)

But, betraying all that, and before the belly-aching(sp?) begins...

More to the point here! Nielsen is this part of the Vertical Contest or something I can hope to maybe see sooner?

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

• 3 weeks later...

It's OK here. Try moving it far away to a new position and away from the handle just to eliminate any local effects. If it is then OK move it back nearby the position you want and investigate what is different there.

You can if necessary make one fairly easily from a brush and textures/darkmod/door/keyhole_metal_001

It´s one that I made from brush´s and it´s not allways like that, the next time I dmap the map it might be ok and another in the map may hav the problem or non may hav the problem or 4-5 hav the problem wacko.gif and that´s the problem huh.gif , it´s not just this one lockbox, it´s all of them, maby it´s a flaw in the way I made it?

In that case it's a rendering error you get with small or fine detailed brushwork sometimes. It's not an exact science AFAIK, Just have to rebuild in different ways. Make it an entity if you haven't already. Make sure it's well grid-snapped. Try to align it to a large grid, eg, 4 x 2 rather than 3.875 x 2.125, that sort of thing. Or use the model under door_related I think it is. Another alternative you can try is to select your lockbox and export it as an ase model at the script menu in DR. Create say a models/mymap folder and put it in there. In DR reload models at the file menu then just use Create model in the normal way. It won't be under darkmod in the list but under where you put it, say mymap.

Sorry to be so vague but that's how it is. Sometimes you get parts not rendered and sometimes they show black (might be the same thing but black behind I guess.) All I do is try to remake it somehow a bit different. Another time you can make a complex shape like the harpsichord and no problem.