The Dark Mod Forums

Vertex Colored ASE Models using DarkRadiant and Blender 2.53 Beta

rich_is_bored

I've updated both the Blender ASE import and export scripts to work with the newly released 2.53 beta. I've also fixed a few bugs. Links in their respective posts have been updated but they are also included in the tutorial below.

Google Doc

modwiki.net

The Dark Mod WIki

If there is anything that isn't clear or needs illustration let me know. It's a Google doc so it's almost like a wiki page and I can make immediate changes.

Edited by rich_is_bored
  • Like 3

Very cool, but the next time, can you please put the text on our wiki (we will keep it there, anyway) and put the scripts up on bloodgate.com (we will keep copies there, anyway)? :)

I couldn't download the files from google, it said something about unable to scan for virus, download anyway, but then nothing happens...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I won't be able to attach it. It's far too big with all the images. It's somewhere around 3 MB in size.

I was a bit hesitant to upload 30+ images to your wiki but I can do that if need be. In the meantime I've changed the permissions for the google document so perhaps it will work now.

• Like 1

I won't be able to attach it. It's far too big with all the images. It's somewhere around 3 MB in size.

I was a bit hesitant to upload 30+ images to your wiki but I can do that if need be. In the meantime I've changed the permissions for the google document so perhaps it will work now.

The script download now works. As for the images, yes please put them into the wiki. The wiki is the one-stop documentation for everything, and we had already a few times in the past where the external hostes images were gone (host no longer existing, externally deleted etc.) No matter how often people think "surely X will not go broken or vanish", it still does after Y years :) (See Geocities, Deutsche Post "email for live" and other countless examples :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

No, I meant the download - the script. Anyway, no need - now got it! :)

[edit] (I should have said scripts since there are two.)

I've ported it over to both modwiki.net and TDM wikis.

Very cool, thanx! :wub:

As I work through the tutorial I'll paste in here any typos etc for correction later...

Only brushes and patches may be exported using Export ASE... from DarkRadiant. This includes entities comprised of brushes and patches.

Should be excludes

That's awesome.

I had tried to vertex color an object in Max at one point, but couldn't get it to show in TDM.

Someone said that it makes the material render twice or something and thus takes a performance hit. Would we really see a hit on performance by using this?

(I was thinking off adding dirt/shading to objects that use standard materials (ie: anything that can't be AO baked)

Of course I guess it adds an extra shader to load, but things like pots that have 10 skins could still all share the same shaders (just vblend instead of non-blend)

---------

As for tut, I thought the vertex bland materials should be before the two material blend (just because the beginning of the tut is about verrt painting, the material blend is kindof sandviched in between vert paint/blend stuff)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I think this is the info needed but at this stage the student does not yet know which to choose. Might need to read other parts of the tutorial first? Reading the definitions I'm guessing Vertex blending is the one to choose. I think possibly the tutorial should choose for the reader and say "THIS is what we are going to do in this example" and just lead them by the nose parrot-fashion so they are not confused.

Vertex blending is when two textures are blended based on the color of the underlying vertices. idTech 4 dictates that you use white to represent one texture and black to represent the other. Gray values are used to gradually blend between the two.

Vertex coloring is when one texture is tinted based on the color of the underlying vertices. You are not restricted in color usage although I am hard pressed to find a use for this. Technically you could paint shadows and the like on a mesh provided the geometry was dense enough.

As I work through the tutorial I'll paste in here any typos etc for correction later...

Only brushes and patches may be exported using Export ASE... from DarkRadiant. This includes entities comprised of brushes and patches.

Should be excludes

Er wait, is it "brushes and patches" or "excludes compromised of brushes and patches"?

That's awesome.

I had tried to vertex color an object in Max at one point, but couldn't get it to show in TDM.

Someone said that it makes the material render twice or something and thus takes a performance hit. Would we really see a hit on performance by using this?

(I was thinking off adding dirt/shading to objects that use standard materials (ie: anything that can't be AO baked)

Of course I guess it adds an extra shader to load, but things like pots that have 10 skins could still all share the same shaders (just vblend instead of non-blend)

---------

As for tut, I thought the vertex bland materials should be before the two material blend (just because the beginning of the tut is about verrt painting, the material blend is kindof sandviched in between vert paint/blend stuff)

Well, any shader (aka material) that uses vertex blending has two stages, one stages puts in the material for vertex color and the other the other material (e.g. sand and grass). So it renders 2 passes, but you need that if you want to blend between 2 materials.

This paragraph sends me off again...

It would also be of great benefit if you studied the texturing documentation available on modwiki.net along with a few existing materials that make use of vertex colors like textures/rock/dirt03_sharprock3.

But in fact that article is a general one on material shaders so this would read better as something like "this assumes you have some basic knowledge of material shaders. If not see..." (if true, because hopefully we might find an example enough without any understanding. I'll be able to tell better when I read further.) The reference to vertex colors I need to take a look...

Well, any shader (aka material) that uses vertex blending has two stages, one stages puts in the material for vertex color and the other the other material (e.g. sand and grass). So it renders 2 passes, but you need that if you want to blend between 2 materials.

OK, well... That's where I'm wondering if it's worth it. On the one hand it's a great/easy way to add dirt/shading to stuff that looks flat. But is it worth it? We're still going to have tons of stuff that isn't done since we're going without AO.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Looking at the example shader it just includes vertexcolor in a couple of stages but won't mean anything to a beginner so this might need rethinking whether to even refer to this and lessen the confusion.

Just to clarify, this is just feedback on the tutorial. I am moderately competent only with shaders; most mappers will know less than I so likely to get more confused and even abandon it.

The section on producing the new material is fine. It refreshes my memory of what I did some months ago. But now I'm thinking many mappers might get lost here. We may need to think up something else as well. Maybe prepare some common combinations ready to use or suggest they get someone to make them one. There should be no problem here for the more advanced user though.

I'm back at the start having browsed Appendix B.

Now I feel the 4 step summary at the start should be 5 steps to include 'obtain or create a material that merges the two materials you wish to blend.' (not quite that but something like.)

The next stage seems to be exporting but I see nothing about how I make my geometry. For example. Suppose I have two simple test brushes side by side. One is grass; the other is stone. I want them to blend. Where is the new material applied? Or indeed, is it applied at all at this stage? I actually cannot continue at this point.

OK, I have to break off for a while anyway but so far so good... :)