The Dark Mod Forums

DR copy, paste problem

SiyahParsomen

I got problem with copy, paste anything in Dark Radiant which can be brush, model or anything. Loading map titled window appears at glimpse of time, but nothing happens. DR vers.: 1.4(default settings), OS: Win XP. It was working fine before formatting, but now I have lost too much time on my fm because of this problem and I'm trying to make it on time for the contest.:unsure:

So you can get into DR but nothing appears?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

It's not something that I can put it into an example map. For eg: I create a brush and I copy it(ctrl+s), then I want to paste it in order to make them 2 brushes in total in same X,Y axis. Paste(ctrl+v) doesn't work although it looks like it does something(look at screenshot). I check total brush number, and it doesn't increase.

However, space works for this operation but I'm not used to it since it creates copy of selected in different X,Y axis which takes time to align.

asdth.jpg

ctrl+s? Thats save, copy is ctrl+c

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Space copies a selection one grid size to the right and one down. This is so it is not exactly over the original and might be confused with it. To increase this offset, increase the grid size.

If you don't want the offset there are two things you can do.

1. You can disable the clone offset using a button on the right of the top menu bar.

2. An alternative is press X for clipper mode. When you clone then no offset.

Ctrl + V doesn't include the offset either. The new copy is at the same position as the old.

• 4 months later...

I still feel the lack of copy paste. It was making things easy, but it doesn't work anymore. Worse than that, I had that old habit and it cost me a some amount of data.(argg! my beautiful bridge is gone). Lesson is learned: enable autosave. :(

btw. is it only me or this is broken for everyone?

edit: I'm using win 7 and final release of DR.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

I see it doesn't work to copy brushes and models in pre 1.5 but I've never used it before so I don't know if it's meant to do this. I do see a quick flash of a dialog that might be a progress bar as if it is copying though. If I try to copy a lot of stuff then that dialog is up longer and I can see it is a progress bar but completely empty and the title says 'loading map' so this looks like a bug for sure. I suggest you add it to bugtracker if it's not there already.

It works for copying textures from surface to surface though I don't really use it for that either.

I copy, paste all the time without any problems.

Just remember that when you paste the new parts will be at the same place as where they are copied from, and as such you may not notice them if you dont have the mover tool selected so that you can easily move them out of that place.

Also might be worth trying out the 1.5 beta tests, the latest one in the thread isnt giving me any real problems :)

Hey I spent about 5 minutes tracing down an invisible brush a few days ago. I could see it there on the ortho view, but I couldnt see it anywhere else. It was a patch and I was underneath it :(

What happens if you use the menu items (edit -> copy/paste)?

Do you have any multi-clipbaord apps or download managers running that might try steal stuff? OneNote?

Seems pretty damn strange that it wont work correctly :/

It's definitely not working for me. I tried in an empty map with a single brush. Like SiyahParsomen I looked at Map info and it shows a single brush all the time. I also after paste moved the visible brush out of the way to make sure there wasn't a copy underneath. Nothing. The dialog also is wrong. As I say it just shows an empty progress bar with no text except 'loading map'.