The Dark Mod Forums

Return to start objective

Winter

I've read the objectives editor but it doesn't mention how to set up the "return to where you started" objective. Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you

It's rather simple.

1) Place a brush in the location you want to work as the exit.

2) Give it texture textures/common/clip

3) Make the thing into an entity info_tdm_objective_location

4) Give it name player_exit

5) Go to objectives editor and make an objective "After you're done, go to exit" or something like that. Set it to be INCOMPLETE and mandatory.

6) Set enabling objectives. Here you need to set which objectives need to be complete for the exit to work. If you have objective numbers 1 and 2 must be completed in order the player to exit, you need to put text "1 AND 2" in the enabling objectives box. If you need to have objectives 1,2 and 5 completed you need to put "1 AND 2 AND 5"

You can check the objective numbers in the objective editor window under "#" mark.

7) set the component to be:

Type: item in location

Entity: any entity with SDK-level spawnclass idPlayer

Please note that you need to create a separate exit objective for each difficulty level, since the enabling objective numbers change with difficulty levels.

EDIT: I took the liberty of adding this info to the wiki.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I have this objective set up in my FM, Patently Dangerous, too if you have a question and want to see how it's set up, but Sotha's explanation is good enough by itself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

OK so I've inserted the objectives prefab into my map. Let the stupid questions commence.

1. The "go to room X when fisnished" objective says I have to go the the escZone. I can't find this entity anywhere.

Do I have to create an entity and call it the escZone myself?

2. How do I set the loot values for the loot objectives?

3. I'm trying to trigger an objective by frobbing a readable. The objective editor guide says I have to insert an entity

called target_tdm_setobjective. I've done done this and added a custom script to my objective. The guide then says I have to give it an "obj_id" property which I can't find anywhere in the drop down menus?

Any advice pelase.

Thank you

@ Sotha thank you for the reply. I will give your method a go when I get some spare time tonight. Thanks

If you started with startmap then there is already an EscZone so just move it where you want and resize it. If you imported the objectives prefab then instead: Make a large brush around the area you want the player to finish and texture it with common > clip then make it into a info_tdm_objective_location entity (under info in the list)

Since you already have an escape objective I'm guessing you imported the objectives prefab? If so I'm also guessing you have loot objectives already set up and you want to know how to change the values? In the objectives editor select the loot objective and click the edit button. Over half way down is the component 'acquire xxx etc' click it to highlight it. Now below that you can see the amount box to change the value. You must click OK and back at the main objectives editor you must click OK again or it will not be saved. You probably have three of the above to do anyway one for each difficulty level.

To add the property to a atdm:target_setobjective_state just type it in eg,

obj_id1

#

In the above replace # with your objective number.

But the above won't work from a readable - only from triggering items. What do you want the objective to do? If you just want the player to get the book then it's a normal acquire item. But I guess you want the player to actually read the book to complete the objective? If so, there is a new objective component type for this called 'readable is opened' (see the list in the editor.) I've not used it yet so you'd better ask again if you get stuck. Hopefully it is straightforward.

To add the property to a atdm:target_setobjective_state just type it in eg,

obj_id1

#

In the above replace # with your objective number.

But the above won't work from a readable - only from triggering items. What do you want the objective to do? If you just want the player to get the book then it's a normal acquire item. But I guess you want the player to actually read the book to complete the objective? If so, there is a new objective component type for this called 'readable is opened' (see the list in the editor.) I've not used it yet so you'd better ask again if you get stuck. Hopefully it is straightforward.

Is there a way for a readable to trigger an objective? It is a normal aquire item objective I'm trying to set up but it is to be triggered once a readable is read. So I don't want the player to be able to see the aquire item objective until after the readable is read. Hope that makes sense

Is there a way for a readable to trigger an objective? It is a normal aquire item objective I'm trying to set up but it is to be triggered once a readable is read. So I don't want the player to be able to see the aquire item objective until after the readable is read. Hope that makes sense

Yes! If I understood correctly the problem, I asked this same thing some time ago. The answer lies here:

http://modetwo.net/d...post__p__220236

Post #20.

With this hidden objective arrangement you can basically target any target when closing a readable with "Completion Target" objective-thingy. In your case you need to target a atdm:target_setobjective_state -entity, as Fids told already.

This seems now a common question, so I'll add this to the objectives-wiki as well when I have time if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Clipper

Thank you Sotha. That post from Grayman described exactly what I wanted to do. Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to work. I followed everything in the post but as soon as I start the mission, the objective thats supposed to be triggered is visable right at the start.

This is really annoying. My maps pretty much ready to go. I just have to set up the objectives and get it beta tested really. Unfortunately the layout of my map is tailored to suit the story. So I can't see a way of not including the objective without leaving the entire story out.

Thank you Sotha. That post from Grayman described exactly what I wanted to do. Unfortunately it still doesn't seem to work. I followed everything in the post but as soon as I start the mission, the objective thats supposed to be triggered is visable right at the start.

Have you set the objective invisible?

Clipper

On the target_setobjective_visibility you should have the property and value:

obj_id1

Where 9 is the number of the invisible objective that is to be made visible.

If the above is correct then create a test light near where you frob the book. Copy its name and paste it in as the completion target instead of the target_setobjective_visibility

Now test. The light should go out when you finish reading the book.

If it doesn't go out then the problem is with the finish readable objective not triggering.

If it does go out then the problem is with the target_setobjective_visibility. Perhaps you have the wrong number? Have you got more than one atdm:target_addobjectives? That can sometimes confuse the numbers.

Test by making a lever and target the target_setobjective_visibility. When the lever is thrown the new objective should appear.

On the target_setobjective_visibility you should have the property and value:

obj_id1

Where 9 is the number of the invisible objective that is to be made visible.

How are you typing the obj_id value into DR? It looks like you are typing the objective number and the amount on two seperate lines which you can't do I don't think (I'm at work and don't have access to DR at the mo to try). I tried typing it in as "1 9" and "1/9".

Also on another objective (last one I promise) I'm trying to place an object in a certain location. In this case place a readable (god damn I hate readables! lol) on a table. The object won't complete. I tried using an entity that wasn't a readable and success. So it is set up correctly. How do I get a readable to do the job?

Sorry about this. I feel like I've been going on about readables forever.

Thank you

Select the entity then select the Entity Inspector tab. At the bottom of the panel you should see two lines in their own 'boxes'. These are inputs. Possibly scrolled off on your setup? You type in new properties on the top line with the value on the line below. Once it is entered it shows on one line in the main list. Mostly we just put them together in these posts, eg, something 99 or something/99.

For the object in a location objective you need to give the book the property and value:

objective_ent

The only exception to the above that I know of is the player itself.

No need to apologize. There is no way you could know the above unless you happen to come across the info. We've all been through this and asked the same sort of questions. Still do actually. My wall is marked and dented with years of head banging. :) ... What am I smiling about? :(

Ah yes. I think I see what you mean now Fidcal. I was typing the objective_ent in the wrong way. I'll try that tonight. Hopefully that will resolve it. Thank you.

Any ideas on how to get my readable to behave itself in the "place an object in a certain location" objective?

S&R stim & respons

giv the scroll a trigger stim

make a brush box where you want the player to drop the scroll

make it a func_static giv it the nodraw texture

giv the box a respons with a argument to trigger a atdm:target_setobjective_state to set your objectiv to compleat

(you can also giv the box a trigger that sets the scroll to unfrobable so the player can´t pick it up again)

Thank you nielsen. I'm just wondering, for a really simple solution, would it be possible to turn a readable into a func_static entity? yes I know that the player wouldn't be able to read it anymore but the contents are actually irrelevent. I don't have access to DR at the mo so I can't try it myself. Sorry if thats a stupid question.