Why won't these 3 missions load?

Shaz

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I checked texture use in Rift and Alchemist, the other 2 missions listed at the top of this thread.

Rift uses pagfloor02_dark, which looks like worn_large with a brown tint applied to it.

Alchemist uses worn_large.

I checked three other maps: St. Lucia, Heart, and Training Mission. None use either of these textures.

hmmm, could be a shared normal map or spec map???

Could someone make a test map for Shaz to compile. Just a room with this texture, a light and a spawn point.

If that fails we know it's the tex, if not...

I can do it this weekend but not before...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Here's a test map with only caulk and the worn_large texture, does this compile / run?

worn_large

If this does work then try the next map as well:

yellow_warp

Just a hunch, but I noticed that somewhere5.map was the only section of the mission that used this texture, which has a warping effect handled by a separate program, maybe this is an issue.

Edited by Midnight

I'm not sure why the condump showed nothing about the somewhere5a map. I hope I'm doing it all correctly:

Started TDM. At Menu screen, opened console, did 'condump somewhere' then 'dmap somewhere5a'. Is that correct?

When I get the crash, it's just your normal small Windows popup 'Doom3 has stopped working'. TDM is visible behind this popup, but nothing's happening (it's how I was able to type the last visible lines from the dmap earlier). I click on the popup, and TDM closes. Nothing else.

Regarding the wornlarge and yellowwarp maps...both of those dmapped fine. :wacko:

Edited by Shaz

I checked texture use in Rift and Alchemist, the other 2 missions listed at the top of this thread.

Rift uses pagfloor02_dark, which looks like worn_large with a brown tint applied to it.

It is actually the same diffuse, but darkened. I thought maybe the size is it (but it is 512x512 so its okay). Then I though it is the localmap. But see:

# md5sum textures/darkmod/wood/boards/worn_large_local.tga textures/darkmod/wood/boards/pagfloor02_dark_local.tga
37dd8eaa80a5b825a16e5abd669f08ea  textures/darkmod/wood/boards/worn_large_local.tga
37dd8eaa80a5b825a16e5abd669f08ea  textures/darkmod/wood/boards/pagfloor02_dark_local.tga

Woa, they are identical :) That's nice, so we can delete one and change the material to re-use the same file.

However, that doesn't explain why one crashes and one not...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Shaz, could you once again dmap one of the maps that's failing (perhaps somewhere5a)?

When the blue popup window appears signalling failure, there's a "Copy" button in the lower left-hand corner (I hope). Press that once, then go into a text processor and paste. Then could you save that as a file and attach it to a reply here?

It should be a trail of the last things the engine was trying to do before it went belly up. Maybe it'll provide a clue.

Thanks.

I'm not sure why the condump showed nothing about the somewhere5a map. I hope I'm doing it all correctly:

Started TDM. At Menu screen, opened console, did 'condump somewhere' then 'dmap somewhere5a'. Is that correct?

No, the condump has to occur after the dmap.

Rereading this, I doubt that you'll see the blue screen I was referring to in my previous note.

It's too bad we can't tell dmap to dump to file what it's doing as it's doing it, instead of just writing to the console. Having to try to reconstruct events after the fact is a bit difficult.

If we had the D3 source, we could debug the problem. I hope we don't have to wait for that to be released before this gets solved.

Yes, I've played all those maps just fine. The only FM listed on the wiki that I have not loaded is Swing, because I am very easily prone to vicious motion sickness. All others I've played, and most I've completed. The 3 I listed are the only ones out of the list (barring Swing, as mentioned) that I haven't been able to load into.

A condump won't be possible after a crashed dmap, then, since I can't do anything but shut the game down when it locks up. Sorry about that, I'm new to this kinda thing.

Just in case it's helpful, here's a picture of what I see when the game crashes/locks up. This was dmapping somewhere5a.

post-3883-128347412595_thumb.jpg

I just want to say 'Thanks!' to all of you trying to help figure out what the problem is. While it really sucks that I can't play all the missions, and I can only hope that this problem stays limited, I'm also happy that I seem to be (and will hopefully remain) the only one suffering from this. TDM is just so fantastic, I will enjoy playing every FM I possibly can with it.

So, thanks for all the work, even if we wind up able to do nothing more than scratch our heads over this issue.

It does doesn't it, though? "Will notify you if a solution is available..."

Okay. Nifty. You do that Windows 7.

Or, if you want to, why don't you tell me what the problem is?

Or if you want to be so goddamned "helpful" and not tell me what the problem is... while you go looking for a solution... why don't you just go all the fucking way and fix the motherfucking thing without bothering to tell me "if" there is a solution and just help all us folk right the fuck out by completely bypassing any chance we might have at being involved or consulted or bothered by your wonderful W7 self?

I'm apparently in a bad mood.

Edited by aidakeeley

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Aida, believe me, I've cursed far worse than that over this! :P Reading your diatribe was rather cathartic, though.

The only thing Windows does is direct me to ID with the 'We have no idea what your problem is, perhaps you can find an answer there'. Yeah, as if that'll be helpful when I don't even know what the blasted problem IS! Aaaargh.

Just in case it's helpful, here's a picture of what I see when the game crashes/locks up. This was dmapping somewhere5a.

How much memory has your system? Is it 32bit or 64bit? Have you swap configured?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Also I found this stuff on wikimod (inspired by grayman's frustration re: piping or otherwise getting the dmap to output to a dump when you go to call it)...

Parameters

• [Option] - Optional compilation filter.
    • editorOutput - Converts messages to the DoomEdit output window.
    • draw - Not functional.
    • lightCarve - Split polygons along light volume edges.
    • glView - Not functional.
    • noAAS - Doesn't create AAS files.
    • noCarve - Doesn't cut any surfaces as if they had the noFragment global keyword.
    • noClipSides - Doesn't clip overlaping solid brushes.
    • noCM - Doesn't create collision map.
    • noCurves - Makes curves invisible but their collision model is still generated.
    • noFlood - Skips the flooding of the level allowing it to have leaks.
    • noLightCarve - Doesn't split polygons based on light volume edges. Default behaviour.
    • noModels - Not functional.
    • noOpt - Doesn't merge/remove redundant polygons.
    • noTJunc - Doesn't create T-Junctions and also auto-forces noOpt.
    • v - Shows additional information whilst compiling.
    • verboseEntities - Shows additional information on entities like removal of degenerate polygons.
    • shadowOpt [int] - Sets the static shadow computation optimisation type.
      • 0 - No optimization.
      • 1 - SO_MERGE_SURFACES. Default behaviour.
      • 2 - SO_CULL_OCCLUDED.
      • 3 - SO_CLIP_OCCLUDERS.
      • 4 - SO_CLIP_SILS.
      • 5 - SO_SIL_OPTIMIZE.

Highlights mine, as they are a few that might might be useful here and there and everywhere...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

Mortem: Sometimes it's instantaneous, sometimes it pauses for a second or three before crashing, if you mean during dmapping. It's hard to tell if it's 'hanging', though, since it will frequently pause for a second or two as it initiates various commands.

Aida: Is there some way I should use that?

Oh, I guess it wasn't clear. Those are arguments you can put on the dmap command line.

Usage

At the console type...

dmap [Option]

I just thought that the verbose ones would be helpful and then maybe the others... eg the No T Junctions since that is where your screenshot appears to show the crash occurs?

Edited by aidakeeley

Ok, I wasn't exactly sure how I should use the commands or if there was any particular order, but I did try:

dmap noTJunc somewhere5a

and

dmap somewhere5a noTJunc

(didn't know if order mattered)

and both got me the exact same crash (same place/time etc.) as plain 'dmap somewhere5a' does... right at 'FixGlobalTJunctions'.

Am I doing it right?

Ok, I wasn't exactly sure how I should use the commands or if there was any particular order, but I did try:

dmap noTJunc somewhere5a

and

dmap somewhere5a noTJunc

(didn't know if order mattered)

and both got me the exact same crash (same place/time etc.) as plain 'dmap somewhere5a' does... right at 'FixGlobalTJunctions'.

Am I doing it right?

"dmap noTJunc somewhere5a" is the correct way to do it. Options first.

Could you also try

dmap v verboseEntities somewhere5a

See if anything's printed out beyond the FGTJ line.