The Dark Mod Forums

Fm i am working on

Garreth

You can watch a piece of it here.

It is a old map but now i am back into the editor, forever

Looked okay, but it was dark and lantern only. I got the impression it is a huge outside area.

I hope it visportalizes well... Happy DR:ing.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I progressed alot further now building and scripting that is, but now i want to add the spencer mansion, but to test it quickly to see it inworld i would like to build it room by room in a new window save each room as a prefab, but can lights and scripted entity's be saved as a prefab? or are there complications?

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Yes, that's fine. You can save anything that is in your map as a prefab. With scripting there is one complication. When you reload the prefab back into your main map then the entities will likely get renamed with a new number, eg, lever_2 might become lever_3. (This procedure prevents conflicting same names.) If that lever targets say door_7 and door_7 gets renumbered door_8 then Dark Radiant takes care of those changes; same with bind and other things. They should all work OK. But if your script targets say door_7 then Dark Radiant knows nothing of that so you would likely have to check and adjust.

I also need to visportal some outside areas behind walls, i dont know how exactly to put this but how many units should there be betueen the camera and a visportal for not rendering it on the wiki pages there is a camera vieuw upclose a wall and it is not rendering the visportal behind but when you move back the camera comes close to being able to see the portal and starts prerendering the area, so how many units away should i keep the visportal out of sight?

or better said how many units betueen the cam view edge and the visportal, before it starts to render it?

Or lets say i have a visportal of 100 units high how large of wall should i put infront of it? 120 130?

Taf you, you taffin taffer

I can't tell from what you say. I can only suggest you attach a screenshot.

Otherwise it is trial and error. Estimate the wall, place it, test it in game. If it is too small then enlarge it. Even if you are building room by room in separate prefabs you must test continuously in game or you will have a lot of errors to resolve when you assemble them together.

Yes, that's fine. You can save anything that is in your map as a prefab. With scripting there is one complication. When you reload the prefab back into your main map then the entities will likely get renamed with a new number, eg, lever_2 might become lever_3. (This procedure prevents conflicting same names.) If that lever targets say door_7 and door_7 gets renumbered door_8 then Dark Radiant takes care of those changes; same with bind and other things. They should all work OK. But if your script targets say door_7 then Dark Radiant knows nothing of that so you would likely have to check and adjust.

I've been building in seperate files and decided to skip the naming hassles by naming thing specifically to that map.

ie:

path_corner_01 - I changed to path_jail_01, now when I pull it into my main map that has a path_corner_01 already there is no confilict/name changes.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Even so, you may find the name changed. I regularly see this even though there is no existing name that is the same. I assumed it was to make the test simpler and/or more reliable. Seems to work. Remember when we had lots of conflicts? When I merged your section into Heart I made several attempts and eventually I renamed all your entities first to BC something like func_static_BC9. But that was before DR's renaming, importing and cloning was fixed.