TMA: fm - Fables of the Penitent Thief

Bikerdude

The initial version had a bug that prevented the transition from Level 1 to 2:

You this version instead:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/dklyc0wvYWJUME0wTVE9PQ

And here is the original TTLG release thread, read it if you get stuck:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133802&page=1

Edited by Chiron

As you guys can read in the TTLG thread, they've retracted the release because of a few bugs and are going to re-release next Monday (Nov 8). So I'll download it then.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Oi, that would be finally a reason to fire up a virtualbox with XP and install Thief 2 in it. *rubs eyes* Looks wonderful, the cartoonish textures fit very well, and I love the GW and World of Goo music.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Okay thanks I saw that but as with most things it said it would do everything. Then came the ifs ands and buts. I got T2 running now so all I will take your advice and run the tafferpatcher and hope thats enough and wont screw things up.

Wait, but before I even do that can I ask if I need any of the patches and I guess texture packs for this Fables game or is maybe the Fables game all its own patches and textures anyway? Sorry to ask a question and get an answer and then sort of recind the question by asking another. But mayeb I d ont need to patch anything I'm only using XP?

I don't think you need anything extra for Fables but it is possible that Tafferpatcher added a texture patch when it installed that I don't know about. What I mean is, I just used Tafferpatcher then played several FMs fine plus Fables.

As for what you need for XP. As I recall all I ever had with XP was the standard Thief 2 patch which is pretty much essential.

Rant ahead.

Well I went to try Tafferpatcher and if thats supposed to be a simple and complete way to apply all patches then its beyond me. There is nothing there but a list of choices that lists a whole load of other choices that you need to know about to make the right choices. So its really of no use to me.

Right from the beginning it wants to install in to a testfoilder. What? No indication that this is meant o to be your T2 folder until it fails to find T2... then a message comes up about a Sold Out Version with some foreign characters in the message which makes me wonder both what I'm to do if I knew all this stuff I wouldn't be needing this patcher miracle and it makes me nervous too.

I saw some very mission specific stuff and some stuff that there was no description for that was unfamiliar and I didn't see stuff I was expecting from the old days convict.osm for instance. And I think I recall some other script sth file from the old days too which I didn't see. Maybe those were for TG.

Anyway its all very confusiing and unerving and I tafferpatcher only makes it more so IMO.

I'll take you last bit of advice Fidcal and go with that probably. I have T2 working with the 1.18 official patch and XP. I guess this is good enough and that the Fables mission will provide all the new textures and scripting elements it needs.

But if there is anyone that can confirm this before I start and maybe end up crashing because I needed a particular patch or sth. Then have to restart and lose my prgress. I would apprciate the further verification thanks.

Sorry, you're right. It is not easy for the average user; most people don't seem able to give good simple information. I was confused myself at some stages. I suppose we must be grateful Tafferpatcher was created but it could have been made easier.

Next, I've heard there was a bug in Fables and it has been re-released so make sure you get the latest download from this new thread....

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133840

In the Fables readme it says: "NOTE: Back up your copy of dark.cfg" so make sure you make a copy of that somewhere. I've no idea what that is about. I guess you are supposed to copy it back afterwards?

There is nothing else in that readme about needing any other texture packs or scripts. It credits NV's scripts but they are included in the zip. So go for it I would say.

Thanks very much Fidcal. And please you have nothing to be sorry about your advice has been helpful despite my whining. I'll just go for it as you say. I don't think I've played a FP game with cartoony look ever so I'm ready to go if I can get a free hour at least because I want to get in to it.

Are you playing Fables yet?

Is anyone playing yet? Thought there woould be more people commenting by now.

But maybe its agood thing and those people are rather busy with TDM things instead. :laugh: I shouldn't suggest otherwise!

I would apprciate the further verification thanks.

Just use ddfix instead tafferpatcher, works for me with Win7, was created for XP formerly so should work.

Every FM i started runs ok.

http://www.ttlg.com/...ad.php?t=121449

be sure to use prepatched exe provided, also if you encounter black screen when game starts (as i did) try to set ddfix to 1024x768, that helped in my case.

Edited by Trickster

Yes, I also went for 1024 x 768 via ddfix via Tafferpatcher because I was unsure of some of the higher settings.

As for playing Fables, I have made a start, maybe 45 minutes play, but have been busy with other things. To be honest, although it is in one way fascinatingly different, once the novelty wore off it wasn't exactly calling me back passionately. But I want to get back to it.

Interesting use of speech subtitles using garbled audible speech. This somehow makes the subtitles more acceptable (than if there was just text and nothing audible) probably because we are used to seeing translation subtitles.

Non-spoiler tip: You can buy stuff with apples but if the guard catches you he takes all your apples! I lost about 25 apples but I wasn't bothered until I found the shop later! In other words, take care of your apples!

This was cute. The

Gardener's House

was fantastic fun. You can already see some of it in the trailer, but even still I felt surprised and just being in there put a huge smile on my face.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.