The Dark Mod Forums

Is it possible to use AI head models without the body...?

PranQster

I unpacked the pk4 which contains the heads for AI characters in hope of loading a head as an individual model. However I get a 'NULL joints' error and the head does not render in-game.

Is there any way around this so that the head will behave like any other model?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Exactly what I was thinking, talking heads on posts....

Oh, you don't want them animated...

I assume the heads are md5 meshes. Are you creating through the model browser? Or are you creating an entity?

Not sure if just making a model would work. If making an entity it's probably tied to an AI joint, and making a new def file for it could be a solution.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

No, a m5dmesh will not work like any other model. You'd have to import it and save as a regular model file. Note that the current heads are not closed at the bottom, so if you're thinking of putting it on a pole there would be a visible gap.

What exactly did you have in mind? I have most of the original heads in model format.

What exactly did you have in mind? I have most of the original heads in model format.

Maybe this thread is related:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/11470-tonights-project-catapult/

:unsure:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

What I have in mind has something to do with a heavy duty oak block... and an axe. I already made the block and it just needs a few minor tweaks... plus some "decorations" to go next to it. tongue.gif

I'm hoping to put a body and a head into a map... separately, lol.

Any gaps in the model I was planning on filling in with some custom-made func-static which would be carefully placed and attached with 'bind'.

I'm about half way done with my first playable mission... my first map in any game... ever. It's a bit rough, has too many 90-degree angles so far and will definitely show my newb-ness. But it has a few cool features as well... some of which I have shown early versions of several months ago.

I decided last night to add a dungeon to what I already have, and it will be including the chopping block. Not to give too much away, but as you can surely tell, I do intend to make some players squirm a bit.

At some point I will be seeking assistance on making the mission 'release-worthy', probably by this summer. It will need a lot of optimizing. But for now, I am concentrating on getting the architecture and objects in place, to be followed by AI and pathing, then the readables and objectives. Then comes the tuning/optimizing and the beta testing.

No, a m5dmesh will not work like any other model. You'd have to import it and save as a regular model file. Note that the current heads are not closed at the bottom, so if you're thinking of putting it on a pole there would be a visible gap.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not sure how to import the md5mesh. The only import options I see in DR are for maps and prefabs. How would I go about this?

So far I have tried loading the head model directly through the model browser as well as creating a small brush, convert to func_static and apply the head model to it. Both ways result in the 'NULL joints on renderEntity' error.

Edited by PranQster

Springheel, I am very interested in the heads in model format. I'm interested in using commoner_head01, and a body to go with it if you happen to have it as well.

A head is easy. A body is a lot trickier because it would have to be manually posed in the position you want. You can probably do the body yourself by making a ragdoll corpse and either attach no head (if that's possible) or attach a head and replace the textures with transparent textures.

A head is easy. A body is a lot trickier because it would have to be manually posed in the position you want. You can probably do the body yourself by making a ragdoll corpse and either attach no head (if that's possible) or attach a head and replace the textures with transparent textures.

I'll give that a try... either detaching the head or applying a transparent texture to it. I'm still trying to work around the Null joints error when loading a head by itself, but I did get a 'plug' made for the gape in the neck, which looks nice and creepy. And as far as a body position, I'll first try letting the body lay as it may (not sure of rotating it to a horizontal position will help or not).

Edited by PranQster

Progress.... for the body at least. I found that if I changed the 'head_joint' parameter from "Spine2" to "Hips", I get no error and no head is visible. :)

Awesome... I loaded in my 'neck plug' prefab, arranged it with the body, did 'bind' to 'atdm_env_ragdoll_commoner_1' and set 'bindToJoint' to be 'Spine2'. After some position tweaking it looks exactly as I want :)

Thanks for the help.

Now to see if I can do something similar for the head.

You've basically attached a head, just buried it inside the body where you can't see it. :)

I'll send you a head model to use if you PM me an email address to send it to.

You've basically attached a head, just buried it inside the body where you can't see it. :)

I'll send you a head model to use if you PM me an email address to send it to.

Actually, if I walk in front of the body, I step up onto an invisible head. LOL. Also, how can I minimize the crazy chicken dance the body tends to do? I've set it not touching anything else and placed it horizontal, front-down, with the toes of the boots about 2 units above the floor. But it still tends to spasm randomly. Looks great otherwise... just needs more blood... I have to learn how to make pools, rather than just the blood smear decals.

BTW, I saw the artwork on your web page and think it's fantastic.

Also, how can I minimize the crazy chicken dance the body tends to do

Not sure. It might be related to the weird head placement, as I haven't seen that with regular ragdolls.

There might also be issues binding a static mesh to a ragdoll.

BTW, I saw the artwork on your web page and think it's fantastic.

Thanks. :)

I've sent a head model your way.

Ah yes, it may be the static mesh attached to the ragdoll. I'll play around a bit with the positioning and I might make it so the player can't get too close and make it un-frobable too.

Thanks again for the model.

It works well!

There's an AI spawnarg that offsets the head model from the body model.

"offsetHeadModel" "0 0 -3" is the default setting.

The DR comment when you hover over that spawnarg suggests it doesn't work, but I already have a headless ghost that gets his head back after a while. All I do is change the head offset and hide the separated head behind a wall, then set it back to default later. So it appears to work.

If your body isn't going to move, you could try tinkering with the x/y/z in that spawnarg to see if you can get the head to separate from the body. I don't know if there's anything you can about orientation, but you might get the effect you want if the body and head are flat on the ground.

There's an AI spawnarg that offsets the head model from the body model.

"offsetHeadModel" "0 0 -3" is the default setting.

The DR comment when you hover over that spawnarg suggests it doesn't work, but I already have a headless ghost that gets his head back after a while. All I do is change the head offset and hide the separated head behind a wall, then set it back to default later. So it appears to work.

If your body isn't going to move, you could try tinkering with the x/y/z in that spawnarg to see if you can get the head to separate from the body. I don't know if there's anything you can about orientation, but you might get the effect you want if the body and head are flat on the ground.

Awesome! I was considering doing something like this earlier. It will definitely come in handy in the future. Thanks.

The head model which Springheel provided worked very well for what I was trying to achieve. To demonstrate, without showing as much detail as will be in the final result wink.gif, refer to this screenshot.

pranqmap1_11.jpg

This head model works great for this since the eyes already look vacant ;)

Saving the rest for map release, though I owe Springheel a better preview... I'll zip it and email it... don't unzip it if you don't want to see it, Springheel.

Edited by PranQster