The Dark Mod Forums

Game of Thrones

Bikerdude

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After finishing Book 1, I can say that I liked the TV adaptation infinitely better. It has much much more depth and shows many of the characters in a different light. I don't want to spoil anything, but the changes of the Cersei character alone improved the book a lot

(as in incest-slut vs. heartbroken woman trying to find comfort in her brother's arms)

. There are many other things that in my opinion improved the story, and anming them all would result in massive spoilering. But I'm interested, does anyone who read the book and watched the show agree or disagree with me?

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I enjoyed both the books and the TV series immensely. I think they really scripted and cast the characters extremely well. I have rarely, if ever, found that to be true for both a book and a tv/movie adaptation. I welcome the changes made in the TV adaptation, but they are subtle and few. Cersei is somewhat more likable in the TV adaptation... in season 1 in any case. I think they will really make the audience start to despise her in season 2 as her character becomes much more central to the story and her true power-hungry nature shows through.

Season two will be a tooth-grinder for many who have not read the books since

the nastiest of the characters all survive, if not thrive, in book2.

Apparently season 2 on HBO was allotted only 10 hours just like season 1. I was wondering if there was going to be any of book 3 mixed into season 2... but with just 10 hours of air time, I can't see them fitting in anything beyond the second book.

Books 4 and 5 are a pain because they happen concurrently, so when starting book5 the reader has to keep in mind that what they just read in book 4 has not all happened yet. I wonder how they will handle those books on HBO. I'm guessing they will do half of each book as season 4 and the second half of each book as season 5.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Well... A Dance With Dragons had a couple small surprises for me at the end. Glad to see Verys is back in the story. Now I understand exactly what he has actually been up to since the very beginning.

Looks like Jon won't be joining the story for books 6 & 7. I'm glad Quentyn has been torched. Glad that Barriston Selmy remains both alive and a badass. Caersei has had her ass handed to her by the Septas, that was funny. Two less Lannisters are in power at King's Landing now. Things are looking up for Aegon.

• 6 months later...

Anybody watching the second series of this? I'm half way through at the moment. I don't know if I'm imagining this but the sets and costumes look even better than in series 1. They've probably been given a bigger budget.

Hard to believe but King Joffrey gets even more despisable. Tyrion is still as awesome as ever. I can't wat to finish work and go home to watch the next episode.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I'm still waiting for season 1 to become available from Netflix. The DVDs are marked "Very long wait" in my queue.

I thought I'd fill in the dead air by reading the books. Oddly enough, I couldn't get past page 100 of the first book. Too many characters to keep track of, and very little going on. Decided I'd just watch the series when Netflix deems me worthy.

A lot of the 1st few episodes went over my head because there were so many characters to keep tack of. It was only by episode 4 or 5 that I had a good idea of what was going on. I re watched it recently and the 1st few episodes made a lot more sense.

There is a hell of a lot to keep track of. Characters pop up here ahnd there and then you don't see them for ages. I'm watching episode 6 at the moment.

Theons taken over Winterfell! This isn't going to end well for him.

The Joker

Theons taken over Winterfell! This isn't going to end well for him.

oh, you have NO idea how correct you are about that. starting s2e3 tonight. so far season 2 is looking good, aside from some discrepancies with the books.

oh, you have NO idea how correct you are about that. starting s2e3 tonight. so far season 2 is looking good, aside from some discrepancies with the books.

Reek! Poor, poor Theon. I feel sorry for him on all levels.

As for the many characters. By the end of the 5th book, there are about 30 point-of-view characters (including those who have died already).

One thing that irked me a little bit in the end of season 2 on HBO...

Sam's encounter with the White Walkers should have involved a sharp piece of obsidian and a little more backbone on Sam's part.

I can accept some discrepancies from the books. I really don't care if a few of the characters had their names changed. I don't really care that the new wife of

Robb Stark

is a different character, as long as the repercussions are the same.

I'm also glad they didn't rush into book-3 during the second season*.

* There were rumors going around that The Red Wedding would occur during season 2. That would have pissed me off.

I guess they had trouble making Peter Dinklage to be nose-less. The rest of the wound is appropriate at least.

Edited by PranQster

• 6 months later...

Just rented the first 8 episodes and had a marathon last night. Pretty damn good show. I luv the Imp, lol.

Saw one of the discs at the library but it was episodes 3&4 so I just went and rented the run. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I've been re-watching this series over the holidays. This really is a fantastic series and yes, Tyrion is absolutely fantastic. I think I'll add the books to my reading list and start reading GOT in 2013.

One thing I didn't quite understand in series 1 is

why is Daenerys imune to fire and Viserys not? They are both Targaryen (they have dragons blood) are they not?

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

The Joker

One thing I didn't quite understand in series 1 is

why is Daenerys imune to fire and Viserys not? They are both Targaryen (they have dragons blood) are they not?

Been a while since I read the books or watched the series, but the way I read it is this:

Targaryens seem to have madness and crazy that skips around every few generations. They may be the weak links of the bloodline, and maybe don't have the magical dragon properties of the sane Targaryens. Or something like that. Could also be a property that only manifests very rarely and only at a certain age in some Targaryens, and is unrelated to the madness. I dunno. It's fun to think about though.

That kinda makes sense and would explain the Mad King. I really liked Veserys even though he was a complete knob. I thought it was hilarious when he was acting like a king around the Dothraki only to be completely ignored by everyone. Still, at least he

got his "golden crown" in the end.

The Joker

Watched the end of season one last night. DAMN!!!

They got DRAGONS!!!!

But the vid store didn't have season two :( either rented or they just don't have it, looked at the official HBO site and season 3 is coming this spring so maybe season two isn't on disc yet? :(

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Favourite line from GOT season 2 -

Tyrion - If I asked you to kill a new born child without question would you do it?

Bronn - I wouldn't do it without question. I would ask how much first.

I love Bronns 'what you see is what you get' character. I also love The Hound. I think he really wants to be a bad guy. But when push comes to shove he cant help but do the right thing.

he always stands up for Sanza when Geoffrey is abusing her

The Joker

• 5 months later...

Damn, I was looking forward to my family's reaction to the red wedding episode since season 2, and didn't have the foresight to videotape it like the others on youtube. GRR Martin said it best on Conan: "Now you know why your nerdy friends were depressed 13 years ago". :laugh: