The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Siege Shop 1.2.0 by PranQster (2011/09/21)

PranQster

11 members have voted

1. 1. I played version 1.0 of this mission and find this version...

• No better than the original
    • A little better
    • Noticeably better
    • A vast improvement
  2. 2. How enjoyable did you find playing this mission?

• Extremely enjoyable... thought it was a lot of fun
    • Moderately enjoyable
    • It was ok, but not a lot of fun
    • I'd rather be trimming my toenails
  3. 3. Did the atmosphere and story work well?

• Boring atmosphere
    • Boring story
    • Atmosphere was alright
    • Story was alright
    • Good story
    • Good atmosphere

siegeshop.jpg

"I must break into the weapons factrory... the tunnel in the moutains takes me there.

I received a tip that there may be a way to reach the roof, if I'm lucky.

Inside is a siege weapon shop. I need to acquire the plans to the new weapons being built there.

The previous taffer to attempt this job has either been caught, or has run off with the weapon plans. Find what became of him."

I must mention this: There is a scene of violence more graphic than usual in this FM. Some might not approve. Not for the little ones.

Download Links:

The Siege Shop 1.2.0

If you already have version 1.0, be sure to delete the 'siegeshop' directories from both your 'doom3' and 'fms' directories before installing this

The Siege Shop

By PranQster

This is my first mission, release number 2.

Version: 1.2.0

Build Time: eternity

Credits:I thank the entire TDM community and all those who helped me.

Special thanks to:

Bikerdude, Fidcal, Springheel, & Grayman for awesome technical support and advice.Extra thanks to Springheel, BikerDude, and Nosslak for additional models used. Thanks also to Shadowhide for the help with getting my script file working.

Major Thanks to the Beta Testers:Chiron, Xarg, Aprilsister, AluminumHaste, SiyahParsomen, and Midnight

Known Issues since this release:

• 2 moons in the sky. I'm not sure how an extra moon made it into the skybox (prefab). I have already fixed it in the editor, but have not re-packaged it yet.
  • Wallpaper by door in the captain's bedroom has a couple of old leftover patches clipping into it, making a vertical line. Also fixed but not re-packaged yet.

Screenshots:

newshot02.png

newshot03.png

newshot04.png

newshot06.png

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

This is a re-release of my first mission. It has been improved upon quite a bit, both aesthetically and performance-wise. To correct all newbie mapping errors would have been impossible without re-doing the entire map from scratch. So, no, this is nowhere near perfect but is still much better than version 1.0.0.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Question - is this the right file? name - sisgeshop.?or did I hit the wrong button or something.

The file name is siegeshop.pk4. I'll double-check the link, but it looked good when I mouse-hovered it.

Oops... I see what I did now, damn typo... fixing now

The file was being picky. Renaming it still resulted in the wrong file name being downloaded... maybe my browser cache fault. But I re-packed the whole mission with the right name and uploaded it again.

Edited by PranQster

Congrats!

I must say there is big improvement in v2 especially on performance. Fps is better in open areas and long hallways. Besides, it looks way different on visuals. I thought I installed wrong fm when I started in cave instead sewer. Gameplay is also good for a first time. :)

Good to hear. And thanks for helping me test it. Yeah, the town setting in the first version was not working for me at all. I decided to get rid of any city scene until I have more practice making towns in DR.

Yowsa! The performance and visuals took a big step forward. Thanks again! :)

Awesome. Thanks a lot :)

I can now concentrate on the Halloween map. All I can say about it is that it will have a lot of patch work.

Edited by PranQster

lol I was just coming in here to message you telling you that I can indeed beta test now, got he bandage off my fingers and I can now play (somewhat) FPSes. oh well, I'll play this version and get some screenshots for Moddb. :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Mission played, screenshots sent to N, I'll have to play it again to get a proper vote though. BTW you still have 2 moons in the skybox, unless something in my Darkmod folder is screwed up.

EDIT: Just ran the updater, training_mission.pk4 is re-downloading, maybe that's why I have two moons in my sky

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Should be added to the downloader.

Weapons as loot was cool, thought I saw a couple new models.

Stew!

STEAMBOT

Playguard monthly :D

Rugs didn't soften footsteps in some areas.

Find out what happened to the thief objective fired too quickly?

Edited by jaxa

Should be added to the downloader.

Weapons as loot was cool, thought I saw a couple new models.

Stew!

STEAMBOT

Playguard monthly :D

Rugs didn't soften footsteps in some areas.

Find out what happened to the thief objective fired too quickly?

• Yeah the katana swords came from a prefab lootpack which I downloaded somewhere here... has several gems, a crown and other nice, colorful loot items
  • If you watch the cook do his route, you'll see him stir the stew just before walking away from the stove and again just when he returns to the stove :)
  • I almost left the steambot out since I could not make it operate doors properly. I even tried using movable triggers >> door openers on timers so it would only open the doors when it aproached them. That didn't work... even triggers assigned to the steambot's entity class kept getting triggered by the other AI. Even if the double-wide door was open, the steambot refused to go through it. So it got a short patrol path as a workshop and drawbridge gate guard.
  • LOL, almost made an old style sketch of a wench for the magazine... almost
  • Too bad about the rugs... I thought I fixed those. They behave differently sound-wise if they are func_static vs. worldspawn. I think it was when I had them as func_static that they made the sound of the material directly under them (wood floor).
  • Did the thief objective fire when you were still in the stairway, or just when you entered the dungeon? I put the clip to trigger that just inside the door at the bottom of the stairway so the objective occurs when the player enters the room.

Mission played, screenshots sent to N, I'll have to play it again to get a proper vote though. BTW you still have 2 moons in the skybox, unless something in my Darkmod folder is screwed up.

EDIT: Just ran the updater, training_mission.pk4 is re-downloading, maybe that's why I have two moons in my sky

I'll have to double-check to two-moon issue. I didn't think that was happening... at least had not noticed it. Though it is possible I moved the entire skybox and knocked things out of whack.

I had that happen to my current mission. I did a shift-select of the entire skybox and dragged it... looked like everything was selected... but in-game, the moon texture was off and showed two opposite halves. Also two patches of cityscape were left behind in two different places as I dragged the skybox to a new position. That was really strange having the two patches "jump off the bus" while the skybox was being dragged.

Also, did you delete the previous 'siegeshop' directories from 'doom3' and */doom3/darkmod/fms before installing this one?

Edited by PranQster

• Did the thief objective fire when you were still in the stairway, or just when you entered the dungeon? I put the clip to trigger that just inside the door at the bottom of the stairway so the objective occurs when the player enters the room.

Sure that's how it was, but I was almost certain that I would have to find the cell the thief was in first. I saved and quit around then so I still have to check it out. Thanks for the mission, btw.

@Tels and Fidcal, may I request that you update the versions listed at the TDM site too?

(Thus I will have a reliable download link for a Moddb article :) )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

AluminumHaste got me some screens but I've combined your release article into a "September Update" article which includes Biker's release and a little about the Halloween contest (bigger bang for the buck). I will need some Biker shots soon but I will post your screens once the article is authorized... :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

LOL, I just checked it out and I do indeed have 2 moons in the sky. ROFL... they don't even look the same, except that they are both full moons. I never saw the second one because it was low enough to be behind the mountains most of the time, so I didn't take a second look at that part of the sky!

AluminumHaste got me some screens but I've combined your release article into a "September Update" article which includes Biker's release and a little about the Halloween contest (bigger bang for the buck). I will need some Biker shots soon but I will post your screens once the article is authorized... :)

Thanks. I just took some screenshots and will post in a few minutes. Found an annoying bug while doing that, so I may have to release another minor update... or just let it be... with 2 moons in the sky.

Finished your mission and I do like the updates you did.

The outside with the balloon was tricky enough to get past the guards (bjed em all) and I liked the mountain side when you got to the top. Once inside I liked the rooms with just the right shadow to get around however in the key room and on the stairway to the dungeon I noticed some light shining through walls so made it a little difficult to hide. The only other problem I had was trying to blackjack Pyle on the rabbit. When I tried to BJ him he'd go flying off the rabbit and of course die. In order not to kill him I had to alert him slightly and then he would stay on the platform when I hit him.

Great update look forward to your next mission.

Finished your mission and I do like the updates you did.

The outside with the balloon was tricky enough to get past the guards (bjed em all) and I liked the mountain side when you got to the top. Once inside I liked the rooms with just the right shadow to get around however in the key room and on the stairway to the dungeon I noticed some light shining through walls so made it a little difficult to hide. The only other problem I had was trying to blackjack Pyle on the rabbit. When I tried to BJ him he'd go flying off the rabbit and of course die. In order not to kill him I had to alert him slightly and then he would stay on the platform when I hit him.

Great update look forward to your next mission.

Glad to hear you liked it :)

Interesting about Pyle. I briefly tested with him, and blackjacked him like normal, but he may have been mildly alerted, I can't remember.

My Samhain/Halloween mission is almost finished. I need to build an exit area and finalize lighting and AI/paths, a mission briefing and player inventory. The rest is just small details.

I know it may not be a good idea, but I might not beta-test this mission with other players. It's too secret for that. LOL. I'm planning on thoroughly testing it myself and then release it when I'm confident.

I enjoyed this mission a couple nights ago. I really liked the balloon and the bot, as well as the overall setting. The workshop itself was quite interesting. I couldn't take your poll because it won't let me leave the first question unanswered. As I never played the first version, I have no opinion on that. :)