The Dark Mod Forums

Grappling hook

Senju

Hello, i would just like to start this off by saying how amazing you all are...really really amazing.

each and every one of you, down to the most uninformative beta tester.

anyway...grappling hook.

the reason i suggest having one is to expand upon vertical gameplay a bit while coexisting with the functionality of the rope arrow. A grappling hook would be useful in a situation where the only avenue of traversing up a wall cannot be achieved otherwise, like say needing to reach the top of a cathedral or castle by griping an arrow slit or a gargoyle etc.

another function would be getting across a substantial gap, therefor adding another platforming element, swinging.

what do you think? i think it fits this style of game perfectly, if only in certain situations. i can think of many tongue.gif

and just to be clear im not suggesting anything prince of persia or assassins creed, before i get any criticism

[its a logical assumption so i forgive you ahead of time].

just something that i think fits realistically and can work separate the function of the rope arrow.

But how would you swing the hook with the rope? If you are saying "point the hook to the place it should attach to", you already have that - as the rope arrow. Otherwise I cannot imagine how the player would operate such a hook without it being a huge burden.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

anyway...grappling hook.

the reason i suggest having one is to expand upon vertical gameplay a bit while coexisting with the functionality of the rope arrow. A grappling hook would be useful in a situation where the only avenue of traversing up a wall cannot be achieved otherwise, like say needing to reach the top of a cathedral or castle by griping an arrow slit or a gargoyle etc.

another function would be getting across a substantial gap, therefor adding another platforming element, swinging.

A grappling hook was something we discussed and eventually decided against. Many reasons...some technical...some design oriented. A grappling hook is a harder beast to control than a rope arrow, especially in a game with physics.

However, in our upcoming 1.07 release, we will be introducing our long overdue vine arrows. Unlike the Thief vine arrows, ours grow on walls...and you can climb them. While not exactly like a grappling hook, they will allow the player to perform some of the actions you have mentioned, like getting up the side of a building....or being able to get across a gap.

Well, if you ever do decide to make a hook, you should use the physics from the open source Nexuiz.

It has the best hook physics ever. Basically, you are pulled toward where the hook goes, but you still have momentum and can swing around. Compare this to something like Quake 2's grappling hook, where the players are just dragged to the hook with no ability to move or do anything fancy unless you disengage the hook.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

levitation spell please

lol..right, like that wasn't a total exploit :/

not suggesting anything game breaking

not anything that will get in the way of any existing, or soon to be, game mechanics. and nexuiz is a great example but i was thinking more along the lines of smashball combined with wind waker.

or something else..its a grappling hook, i think we know what it does.

just keep it in the context of the situation.

say you have to use it twice during a mission..

a hammerite fortress has only two viable entrances into the complex. one is up and above the walls, one is through a sewer entrance down by the moat.

provided you have the hook already you can scale the walls, but if not you can go through the tunnel below.

the tunnel provides you with an obstacle, there is a deep cavern with a rope bridge, the rope bridge is out and there is seemingly no way across. a quick search will reveal that there are materials to mend the bridge nearby. one of which is -duh- a rope and hook. so now you have the means to traverse the cavern...if you can. the cavern requires balls because the window of success is slim, but the rewards for getting across are substantial enough to warrant a try.

how i imagine the swinging to work would be this, you need something to catch your hook on like vines or tree roots, a metal grate might work, and certain other objects would do nicely, i leave that to your imagination.

if your a chicken you can go back out to the exterior of the fortress, a massive 50 foot wall with seemingly no way in but the obvious front door, you spy up on the ramparts a few weak spots that look good, you aim, toss and it catches, you begin the climb the same way you would if it were a rope arrow, only this can hold your weight a lot better so you can swing side to side while your climbing. climbing up a wall means you are going to be making a bit of noise, so you should watch the ramparts for torches and stay still if a guard is above you.

[just an example]

keep in mind this is just my 2 cents, stupid suggested feature in some opinions i guesssad.gif . i know you guys are going to have substantially more creative freedom soon and a lot less hurdles to improving and expanding the mod. that doesnt mean that anything and everything is possible of course, and i know the technical hurdles you face already.

keep in mind this is just my 2 cents, stupid suggested feature in some opinions i guesssad.gif . i know you guys are going to have substantially more creative freedom soon and a lot less hurdles to improving and expanding the mod. that doesnt mean that anything and everything is possible of course, and i know the technical hurdles you face already.

Let me put it another way. It's highly unlikely to be something that we will implement as a core mod feature. As I explained earlier, we are going to be introducing our vine arrows in the next release.

Nothing is stopping mappers or other modders from making a grappling hook for their own maps.

As NH said, we did talk about a grappling hook in the early days, but the technical hurdles are substantial. Not least of which is that moving objects can't have concave collision meshes, so the "hooking" would have to be faked somehow, leading to all kinds of problems of detecting when the hook should actually be allowed to "hook". Not to mention the problems with the rope part. Ultimately, it's just way too much effort for something that is virtually the same as existing rope arrows.