The Dark Mod Forums

Can anyone help me get some custom water textures made?

PranQster

I need to modify the clear stream and clear stream fast textures so they are less translucent. I tried merging their .mtr settings but with the water_green texture. I almost got what I wanted, but the water ended up glowing like one of those glow-sticks.

I have a map which I put a river into and there is a whirlpool in the river. If I use the clear water stream, the flow looks good, but there is too much translucency to be able to see the whirlpool very well. I want a thicker light green or light blue flowing water as well as a fast flowing version... the same speeds as the clear streaming textures.

Can anyone help me get this accomplished?

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Sounds like you need to alter the increment values for the scroll or translate of the murkier material rather than merging all their characteristics. I'll take a peek when I get a chance.

The best solution is make an anim of the whirlpool and skin it with the water material... or create a custom texture\normal map with a whirlpool feature in it. (Depending on how deep the whirl is...)

Example:

textures/darkmod/serp/animatedtest2

{

water

{

blend bumpmap

map textures/Flanders/water_bump_ver

scroll time*0.03, 0

}

{

blend specularmap

map textures/Flanders/water_flanders_s

scroll time*-0.03, 0

}

{

blend diffusemap

map textures/water_source/water_green

}

{

vertexProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp

vertexParm 0 time*0.03, 0

vertexParm 1 1.3

fragmentProgram heatHazeWithMask.vfp

fragmentMap 0 _currentRender

fragmentMap 1 textures/Flanders/water_bump_ver

fragmentMap 2 textures/water_source/vp_water

}

}

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

My whirlpool was working great... just an inverted, bent cone patch with the fast streaming texture applied rotated 45 degrees (maybe negative). Looks pretty good when you are right next to it, but from a distance it didn't stand out from the reflections of the water around it.

Gonna go test this now and play with it.

Let me know if you're still having trouble.

The current materials should all allow for their speed to be changed via a shaderparm (which one it is, you'll need to look at the material in DR - but it should be there).

Ok thanks I'll look into that. I had not much luck last night... at least with flowing water. I was able to put in some of Flanders' water with the above settings, but it was more like a lake lapping at the edge and ebbing back and forth.... and not a texture I wanted to use though it did react to lights.

If you don't mind me asking, what are the dimensions of the whirlpool?

It is 256x256x152 and looks like this:

Damnit! the new image uploader craps out on me every time I try to post. I'll have to link it from my web :(

Here it is:

snap120.png

snap121.png

I fixed the texture on the inverted end caps to fit the surrounding water after I took this snapshot.

Hmmm... I wonder if we can make the starry sky texture into a streaming one... Then I could put a black hole in the sky :)

Edited by PranQster