The Dark Mod Forums

Climbing rope arrow with sprint is so fast

conker

Come to think of it, I have noticed this for a while as well. Running while rope climbing makes you climb rope pretty darn fast.

To be fair, there are people in real life who can climb rope pretty damn fast. I'm not sure if it's entirely believable for our thief though.

(I know he's somewhat athletic but I'm not sure he's THAT athletic)

On the other hand, so far I haven't found it to be too jarring to immersion.

Edited by Professor Paul1290

I wasn't even aware that running worked on ropes. Probably just something no one on the dev team noticed.

I can definitely see that being the case.

It's odd, but it's not glitchy looking or immersion destroying levels of odd. I'm pretty sure a lot of players have been using this whether it's intended or not.

TDM's thief (or thieves) tends to seem pretty agile in general anyway, so it's not too inhuman of a stretch to think he can climb pretty well.

Maybe we should slow it down a bit, because we don't have some sort of "strength" which goes down over time, so you could climb a 100m rope quite fast.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

you missing the point: the balance of moving speed in game, not real life.

you said "it could be happen in real life".

but i don't think so.

if it could compare with real life, you can't explain why he sprinting too slow on the ground.

Indeed, even my nephew runs faster than TDM guy.

it is no longer purely about "he usually moves like a lame, but he becomes a squirrel on rope―thanks to his gloves."

and... for me, it destroyed my immersion completely.

and it looks odd for me. because he usually moves quite slow.

so i was speechless at his abrupt potential speed.

sorry for my bad english :rolleyes:

Edited by conker

The limited walking speed is due to two things.

A. This isn't an action/twitch game.

B. He's (usually) carrying a lot of hardware. Blackjack, lantern, sword, loot, maps/scope/mines, etc.

To be honest I've never actually compared vertical movement to running speed. I'll do that next time I play the game.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Slow down the climbing speed just a bit and:

players wont notice so much difference

there is more tension when running / climbing away from an enemy which may could harm you with his sword top.

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager