The Dark Mod Forums

I will return with my new computer !

Garreth

Hi all it has been a long time since i have been here,

to make a long story short, my computer sucked, i couldent play or edit anything anymore on my 3.2 single core with 6600gt :) si decided to build myself a new one worthy of editing software so i went on the web to make myself a 300 euro PC since i am poor and ppl dont leave their windows open at night.

Anyway it turned out i was very successfull of acctualy making a semi high end pc for 440 euro

screen and keyboard not included the keyboard i had laying around was a new in the box Microsoft wired keyboard and mouse, and the screen is from my old pc wich will use a tv when it is converted into a Mame cab.

So this is what i found-

- AMD A8-5600K QUADCORE 3.6ghz 3.9 at turbo

- 8Gb DDR3 1866mhz

- 1 TB sata600 6GBps transfer western digital

- and a HD 7750 1gig ddr5 from sapphire 89 euro on ebay new and warranty'd

- This go's in a zalman case on a asrock motherboard with a buttcheap samsung dvd player and a 20 EURO 500 watt powersupply.

This will surely kick the shit out my old system, and maybe i can finaly have more then 2 screens open at one time and finish my camaighn, i know the technology of doom 3 is old by now but i think it is still fine looking, and i will continue with it.

Nice to see all the new stuff and new maps, il be sure happy to play them.

And i will make sure you will like mine.

Edited by Garreth
  • Like 3

Taf you, you taffin taffer

I'm so uninformed about hardware specifications, but that looks like a very nice PC! I think it's better than mine and I can work with graphical softwares like 3ds max, play modern games with good settings etc with no problems.

Good to hear we have a new mapper :)

Acctualy i am not new, i made a 2 hour campaighn, i just never could finish a map, lag issues, testing it was a bitch to, slow loading, trying to make a storage map for all my costumized furniture and items was almost impossible nothing reacted fast enough after reaching a certain entity count, i reached boiling point. :angry:

Edited by Garreth

Garreth, there is no doubt that your new PC will be much more powerful than the old one, but I have a few notes for you:

Your A8-5600K already has its integrated GPU, and you're gonna buy a discrete one, Radeon HD 7750. Does it mean that you plan to use them both in Crossfire mode?

1) If not, then maybe you should look at a GPU-less CPUs for the same platform, I mean Athlon 7xx series, which work at almost the same frequency, but are cheaper.

2) If not, then what about the Intel Core i3? Those do have a slightly higher price, but in most cases they will be faster, especially in a single-threaded applications, like TDM.

• Like 1

1. - AMD A8-5600K QUADCORE 3.6ghz 3.9 at turbo
  2. - 8Gb DDR3 1866mhz
  3. - 1 TB sata600 6GBps transfer western digital
  4. - and a HD 7750 1gig ddr5 from sapphire 89 euro on ebay new and warranty'd
  5. - and a 20 EURO 500 watt powersupply.

Evening mista, to follow on from what MT said

1. Depending on the cost of cpu and what available, you can get a much better cpu for this price bracket.
  2. memory speed dosent have as much effect in daya to day work and gaming as people think, get 1333 or 1600 instead and save some money.
  3. looks like a nice drive on paper, but what backup drives to have toi keep your data safe..? are you going to use the HDD from your old PC..?
  4. again for a few bucks more you can get a card that will be twice as fast, eg a GTX650
  5. and lastly, Ive said this before and I will keep saying it - Don't ever go El-Cheapo on your PSU. With the money saved from making a better selection from the above we can get you as better PSU.
  6. What the make of the motherboard your going to be using/buying..?

So, what's the full spec's of your 'old' PC so we can see what can be reused. And secondly what website did you source all these parts on..? so I can see if I can find you better parts at lower prices.

b.

(In fact we should make it de-facto that people speak to me/forum first before buying kit, I feel bad for them when people go and buy stuff when they could have gotten a much better deal/kit)

• 2 months later...

my old pc was a 3.4 single core, with a 6600GT AGP 4GB DDR333

the onboard graphix are not even used, the 7750 outpreforms the onboard, even with sli, everything is running realy smooth in almost max graphix, i could still change the cpu, when necessary, for now i am not even running it in turbo mode and i have no preformance issues at all, baby butt smooth.

mpy first mission is almost finished, just a few more days. ;)