The Dark Mod Forums

Game path in prefs blank every time I launch DR x64

My game path is blank every time I launch Dark Radiant and I have to relocate it for that session. Also, if I change any setting in the preferences, the Engine path is also immediately blanked again.

Is this a known bug or is there a work around or should I be running the x86 version instead of the x64 version?

I have VC++ 2005, 2008, 2010 installed for both x86 and x64.

My OS is on C:. Dark Radiant 1.7.3 x64 is in D:/Program Files/Dark Radiant and Doom 3 is in D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/common/Doom 3

Also, if I create a new map "unnamed.map", then go to save as "name".map and save it, reopen preferences, the Engine path is blank again.

Thanks.

EDIT: I uninstalled x64 version and installed 1.7.3 x86 version and this behavior is still present. I also had this issue with 1.7.1 x64.

EDIT2: Setting the engine path in Preferences and then closing preferences and reopening Preferences also shows the Engine path as blank again.

Edited by Lux

if its windows 7 you might have to change the security preferences on the directory and sub directorys so that you can write to them, as by default it set permissions to read only when installing. you then have to manually change the security to 'all' for all users allowed to use the directory. As I think darkradiant when your using it doesn't have permission to write its new config files to its instalation directory.

eg right click on directory where installed, select properties, click the security tab, click on users, click on edit, click the full control box, click apply.

because even it you are logged in as administrator windows 7 automatically puts you logged in as a user whenever you use a program because the rights on the program are set to user and not administrator. (the security level of the program is user.)

Ah, this in fact may be the source of other issues I've had with the editor so far.

I actually checked the dark radiant files, mod files, doom3 files, to see if something was marked read only but nothing was. Permissions will trump that though so thanks for the pointing this out as it hadn't occured to me.

I'll give this a shot when I get home from work.

Edited by Lux

If this is a requirement for installation on Window 7 (and vista?) systems, why is there no mention of it in the Installation FAQ, tutorials, or anywhere else?

It does not work unless I'm doing something incorrectly.

I can not get the "read only" box deselected on Dark Radiant or any of the sub-folders. I have tried three different methods on three different installs starting with the base installation and permissions.

First was to right click DarkRadiant folder > DarkRadiant properties > Security Tab > Both Authenticated Users and Users > select Full Control > Apply > OK

This propagates the same permissions to ALL folders in the directory and the root DarkRadiant folder however the Read Only attribute is still selected on all of them.

Unselecting Read Only > Apply > Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files > OK

Does nothing. Re-selecting properties for this folder again shows that Read Only is still selected.

Second method was to Change the above permissions and remove Inheritable permissions for the DarkRadiant folder so they wouldn't effect anything I was changing. Same result. Full Control permissions are propagated through the directory and Read Only is flagged on all folders and can not be removed.

Third method was to Change the Advanced permissions for User and select "Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object"

This allows me to select Users, "Apply to: This folder, subfolders and files" > Full Control > OK

Still Read Only is flagged on DarkRadiant and all subfolders and can not be removed which is fine because Users, Authenticated Users, Admins all have full control and should be able to alter files within DarkRadiant?

Setting the Preferences line, Game Settings > Engine Path > D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Doom3 > OK and then pulling up preferences again shows the Engine path once again blank.

Individual files are not marked Read Only however the directories are. Its been a while since I've dealt with windows permission issues.

Every time I launch DarkRadiant the Prefs windows comes up and shows Engine Path:C:/games/doom3/

Seems I'm missing something elementary here.

EDIT:

If I open the user.xml in Notepad++ is shows "<enginepath value="">" ....aha! So I selected the DarkRadiant folder under Users/<username>/AppData/Roaming/DarkRadiant which has no entry at all for "Users" which I added and then gave Full Control.

Now Notepad shows the engine path entry as correct to my Doom 3 folder in the user.xml file however when I open prefs within the editor it still shows Engine Path as blank and is not reading in the enginePath value from the user.xml file?

After closing and reopening DarkRadiant the values remain in the the user.xml file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<user><paths> <enginePath value="D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Doom 3/"/> <mapPath value="D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Doom 3/darkmod/maps/"/> <prefabPath value="D:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/Doom 3/darkmod/prefabs/"/> </paths><game><type value="Doom 3"/> <fs_game value="darkmod"/>

However when opening the Preferences within the editor the Engine Path is still shown as blank so its not properly reading in the value from the file.

EDIT2:

Opening Preferences again and changing Grid default size to 8 and clicking OK updates the user.xml file but not in a good way.

The user.xml file is once again reverted to default settings and the Engine Path is again blanked in the user.xml.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<user><paths> <enginePath value=""/> <mapPath value="/darkmod/maps/"/> <prefabPath value="/darkmod/prefabs/"/> </paths><game><type value="Doom 3"/> <fs_game value="darkmod"/>

This is on 1.7.3 x64

EDIT3:

So provided you set all preferences initially and don't re-open preferences, the values are written to the user.xml and preserved. So never changing anything in the Prefs after initial set keeps the values in the user.xml.

Opening Prefs and clicking "Cancel" does not revert these changes. Clicking "OK" even if nothing has been changed writes the blank Engine Path back in to the user.xml since its not reading that value in to the Engine Path when Prefs are opened.

Edited by Lux

well I dont know the solution, the changing security on folders usally fixes configs not saving in there directories for me.

although the darkradiant version am using isn't installed in the 64bit program files folder its in a folder called c:/darkmod/darkradiant and its the 64bit version.

Hmm, could be something from the system default Program Files directory.

I installed to D:/Darkradiant/ and ran the .exe as admin and it did not add the "users" group to the security prefs on the DarkRadiant folder in Users/Roaming/ when it installed. Probably because I "ran as admin".

Now I can not change the "users" group to full control of the D:/DarkRadiant folder, it won't let me apply the full control permission and gives me errors for every one of the .dll files located in the directory.

And the Preferences, Game, Engine path is still blank any time I hit "P" and pull up prefs. It saves to the users.xml file when I change it to my steam directory however it does not read that value in when I pull up preferences and if you change anything and hit OK, it is blanked in the users.xml.

So the workaround is I guess to just set it and forget it? Or any time a change is made to the preferences the Engine path has to be re-entered.

It was worth a shot though, thanks for the suggestion :)

Your D3-Path may not contain spaces. Move your D3-Folder to a different location and you should be fine. I had been working on that issue a while back. Aside from some bugs in the code, having spaces in your d3-path was also an issue.

Thanks for the reply and... interesting.

Others have said their Steam Install worked fine with Dark Radiant so I'm curious how they have it set up.

I'll give that a shot at some point, maybe this weekend.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Your D3-Path may not contain spaces. Move your D3-Folder to a different location and you should be fine. I had been working on that issue a while back. Aside from some bugs in the code, having spaces in your d3-path was also an issue.

That was it right there. "Doom 3" changed to "Doom3" fixed the issue.

Thank you, STiFU! (you drive an STi? <3 I've got an '02 bugeye wrx, brother has a '10 STi hatch)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it actually did originate from STFU. :D My friends shouted that out once (like 15 years back) in jealousy when I made a huge record in Mario Party and was an ass about it! ^^ And well, that became my nickname. I just added the "i" for ease of pronunciation and my friends created further derivates like Stiff or Stiffson.