The Dark Mod Forums

A few suggestions to speed up workflow in DarkRadiant

Hello Dark Modders!

I've been fiddling around in DarkRadiant for the last few days and have suggestions for a few basic workflow improvements from another version of Radiant that I'm familiar with. I'm not sure how easy these would be to implement or how much programming support is available for DR at the moment, but I figured I'd just put them out there :) Here they are:

1. Middle click on a surface to apply texture and alignment to selected surface(s): The only way I've found to transfer texture and alignment from one brush/patch surface to another is by selecting one surface, Edit > Copy Shader, deselect, select the second surface, Edit > Paste Shader. My suggestion is to streamline that cumbersome process by allowing the user to select the surfaces/brushes to receive the texture/alignment and then middle click a surface to quickly apply the texture and alignment from that surface to the selection.
  2. Alt + left click drag to move objects: Currently to move (or translate, if you prefer) a selected object you need to left click and drag somewhere on the selection in the orthographic views. My suggestion is to allow the user to hold Alt while left click + dragging to only move the selection (no resizing), no matter where on the orthographic view one clicks. This allows one to move things around quickly without having to take time to home in on the selected object, which is especially helpful for small selections or while zoomed out.
  3. Marquee select vertices: While in vertex edit mode (hotkey V) currently one must left click + drag on individual vertices in a patch and move them one at a time, and there is no way to select multiple verts that I was able to find. My suggestion is to allow selection of multiple verts via marquee select (Shift + Alt + left click drag). If my suggestion #2 above were implemented as well one could then use Alt + left click and drag to move all selected vertices together. If repeated marquee selections could add or remove verts from the current selection that would be excellent also.

These are small workflow speed-ups, but when you're using these basic functions constantly they can add up to a lot of saved time while building. If any of these functions are already possible in DarkRadiant by some means I haven't yet discovered then please ignore :) Thanks.

Edited by Krypt
  • Like 1

1. Middle click on a surface to apply texture and alignment to selected surface(s): The only way I've found to transfer texture and alignment from one brush/patch surface to another is by selecting one surface, Edit > Copy Shader, deselect, select the second surface, Edit > Paste Shader. My suggestion is to streamline that cumbersome process by allowing the user to select the surfaces/brushes to receive the texture/alignment and then middle click a surface to quickly apply the texture and alignment from that surface to the selection.
  2. Alt + left click drag to move objects: Currently to move (or translate, if you prefer) a selected object you need to left click and drag somewhere on the selection in the orthographic views. My suggestion is to allow the user to hold Alt while left click + dragging to only move the selection (no resizing), no matter where on the orthographic view one clicks. This allows one to move things around quickly without having to take time to home in on the selected object, which is especially helpful for small selections or while zoomed out.
  3. Marquee select vertices: While in vertex edit mode (hotkey V) currently one must left click + drag on individual vertices in a patch and move them one at a time, and there is no way to select multiple verts that I was able to find. My suggestion is to allow selection of multiple verts via marquee select (Shift + Alt + left click drag). If my suggestion #2 above were implemented as well one could then use Alt + left click and drag to move all selected vertices together. If repeated marquee selections could add or remove verts from the current selection that would be excellent also.

1. Middle mouse click is copy shader, shift + middle mouse click pastes the texture natural, ctrl + middle mouse click pastes it projected
  2. Press w to enter translation mode, press w again to get back to normal mode
  3. hold down shift while dragging to select multiple vertices.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

mouse click is copy shader, shift + middle mouse click pastes the texture natural, ctrl + middle mouse click pastes it projected

I didn't realize you could do that.

1. Middle mouse click is copy shader, shift + middle mouse click pastes the texture natural, ctrl + middle mouse click pastes it projected
  2. Press w to enter translation mode, press w again to get back to normal mode
  3. hold down shift while dragging to select multiple vertices.

What do you know, all of this functionality already exists and is easy to use once you know the hotkeys. My suggestions have been made moot, but at least Springheel and I learned something new :) Thanks for the info, Obsttorte!

I didn't realize you could do that.

When holding down the shift, ctrl or alt key the available functionalities for the several mouse-clicks are shown in the lower left corner of DR. ;) That's how I've discovered it.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

DR is like Photoshop...you can use them for years and still find out new things you didn't know about. :P