The Dark Mod Forums

Ai Model List

Springheel

I've been thinking about how many character models we're going to need overall, and came up with the following list. These are just guidelines, of course. I've tried to stick with the 'amateur/pro/elite' idea for each faction. We'll be able to swap heads and use different skins to get variety, and I've put stars beside the models that I feel will need more than one body-type (thin/fit/fat).

Guards (6)

House * (Corth)

Professional

City Watch (oDDity)

Elite (oDDity)

City Watch Elite

Female Professional

Builders (5)

Acolyte

Builder Guard (oDDity)

Prelate (oDDity)

Priest * (oDDity)

Forger *

Townsfolk (8)

Nobleman * (Alan9000)

Noblewoman * (oDDity/Diego)

Male Commoner *

Female Commoner *

Male Thug * (Diego)

Female Thug *

Maid *

Male Servant *

Pagans (5)

Hunter (re-use commoner model)

Male Warrior

Female Warrior

Male Shaman *

Female Shaman *

Berserker

Mechanites (5)

Scientist *

'Civilian' Bot (oDDity)

Simple Bot

Combat Bot

Elite Bot

Other (7)

Male Mage *

Female Mage *

Founder

Female Gypsy *

Male PC Thief (oDDity)

Female Thief

Male Thief

Monsters (7)

Revenant (oDDity)

Zombies (re-use D3?)

Belcher (oDDity)

Spider * http://math.uc.edu/~chalklr/My%20Photos/Wi...en%20Spider.jpg

http://website.lineone.net/~nigin/images/M...bigger%20ns.jpg

Craybeast

Treebeast

Wolfwere

Rat

Now, we will probably wind up with ones not on the list, or multiple versions (we already have 1.5 noblewomen, frex) but as is, this comes out to over 40 AI models, not counting making different body types. Is this realistic for a year's work, or do we need to make some cuts?

Well, we've already got about ten models approaching game-ready status, and that's after about four months or so. At that pace it will take about a year and a half to get through the list, but that's probably about right. And we could probably get away with only half of that list for our first release.

I haven't started on the city watch elite, but I've done a basic mock up of the elite mercenaries (or private elite guards if you like, the people the rich nobles hire).

I've also done a worker bot.

I don't think we should use D3 zombies since we're doing upwards of 70 AI models already *faints* another one isn't going to matter.

I say seventy becasue you have listed 45 there, but only have 'noble man' or noble woman' 'female servant', 'townsperson' etc down once, but of course we're going to need several differnt of each of those, you can't just have one female model populating the entire town or one noble man populating every house in the city. Ok, you can just reskin them, but it's best to do variation in the actual models.

Plus, you haven't listed all the various characters from the plot which will require special models.

And also to take into consideration are all the extra heads.

Whether it's realistic to expect we'll get these done in a year is irrelevant really, since they are all necessary for a fully functional Thief toolset.

THe way to look at it, is that we have to get them done before we release the toolset.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Animations are not so much of a problem, since a lot of these can share a lot of the same animations.

I guess the assessment would be: Same modelers doing more work.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Pull the other one :D

Modeler role call: Oddity (present and correct), DeepOmega (seems to have brief periods of activity amongst long periods of abscence, Atti (objects only), alan9000 (doesn't post much, but he seems to be getting the noble done behind the scenes alright), Diego (fine), Corth (fine).

Should be OK, but then things are quiet around Easter anyhow.

I think our main target should be one character ingame animated fully, before the May 1st milestone.

EDIT: SPAR HAS BEATEN ME AGAIN :o

I will have 3 characters in the game by May 1. I'm not sure what you mean by 'fully animated' They will have a basic set of animaitons, but nowhere near all they will eventually need.

I'll be doing these animatons myself as well, since none of the animators ever do any.

Edited by oDDity

- Emil Zola

character models site

you can't just have one female model populating the entire town or one noble man populating every house in the city. Ok, you can just reskin them, but it's best to do variation in the actual models.

I was thinking we'd have different body types for those to give us some variety. Swapping heads and different textures will go far, but you're right, the more the better. Consider the above a basic list, then.

Can you makr the ones with + which are currently in the pipline?

The ones with names after them have had significant work done on them.

I think our main target should be one character ingame animated fully, before the May 1st milestone.

That's far too ambitious. All we need for the first milestone is basic patrol animations (ie, walking). It would be nice to have a few mansion characters in game by then as well (noblewoman, house guard, etc).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm completing the Builders first. I've done the low res prelate, priest and guard. Any ideas for what the Acolyte and forger look like? I liked the look of the forgers in TDS, we should take note of them.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Has someone started the forger already - I see a star marking it.

I've decided to complete the models by faction, becasue it's the best way to cut it up into managable chunks, and makes it feel like we're getting somewhere when I can chalk a faction of the list.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Acolytes are the novices of the order. They are the equivelant of servants in a mansion--unarmed noncombatants. As for what they look like, a simple hooded robe would be fine...in fact a red-robed version like the prelate without the metal would be ideal.

I liked the forgers from TDS too. Nobody has started one as far as I know. The stars just mean they should come in different body types (a fat forger, thin forger, etc).

also, if concepts exist for any of them, could we get a link beside the name? That could be really helpful.

Just about all the ones with concept art have been started/finished already. I'll try to update them as new concept art is added. it's probably about time for some new ones.