The Dark Mod Forums

Make an existing model moveable: gargoyle_fetus_pose.ase

Bikerdude

Afternoon

I have tried making the following model moveable -

- models/darkmod/decorative/statues/gargoyle_fetus_pose.ase

If I use the atdm:moveable_custom_item enity I get a collision related crash/error on map load, I then tried the old trick of using a different entity that has the origin in the same location and is roughly the same size. I dont understand why Im getting the collision error, as the model as a collision mesh.

- atdm:moveable_pot_small

but then I have the issue where the item dosent frob highlite.

Any idea's would be welcome.

Hmm. I've not used the moveable_custom_item, but I've got the similar grabable_custom_item working before now. 2 things spring to mind:

- try adding a "clipmodel" spawnarg and choosing another model -- choose any model for an existing moveable of similar size, and see if that works. Then you know the problem is the cm for the gargoyle.

- try deleting your .cm file before dmapping. I've heard that dmap fails to overwrite it sometimes when you're messing with collidable objects.

Ok that fixed it but the bloody model still isnt frob highlting, any idea's..?

Give the moveable a spawnarg of "frob_distance" set it to "10" and set the "frobable" spawnarg to "1"

I'm treading into unfamiliar territory here, but recall something about the shader also needing to have a frob highlight stage, and not all models have that? Perhaps that pertains to here...

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

I'm treading into unfamiliar territory here, but recall something about the shader also needing to have a frob highlight stage, and not all models have that? Perhaps that pertains to here...

That's true because whenever I create custom textures I usually add the following into the material file to ensure it highlights when in focus.

// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
       {
               if ( parm11 > 0 )
               blend      gl_dst_color, gl_one
               map              _white.tga
               rgb              0.40 * parm11
       }
       {
               if ( parm11 > 0 )
               blend      add
               map              textures/other/Tudor_Window
               rgb              0.15 * parm11
       }

So I guess you would have to check if the textures used on that model have that code included in their material files.

According to the model viewer gargoyle_fetus_pose.ase uses two materials "bc_gargoyle" and "tdm_collision_stone" and just having a quick look at the material file for "bc_gargoyle" shows the following:

bc_gargoyle
{

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle_ed
diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle
bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle_local

// TDM Ambient Method Related 
{ 
if (global5 == 1) 
blend add 
map models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle 
scale 1, 1 
red global2 
green global3 
blue global4 
} 
{ 
if (global5 == 2) 
blend add 
program ambientEnvironment.vfp 
vertexParm 0 1, 1, 1, 1 // UV Scales for Diffuse and Bump 
vertexParm 1 1, 1, 1, 1 // (X,Y) UV Scale for specular 
vertexParm 2 global2, global3, global4, 1 

fragmentMap 0 cubeMap env/gen1 
fragmentMap 1 models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle_local // Bump 
fragmentMap 2 models/darkmod/props/textures/bc_gargoyle // Diffuse 
fragmentMap 3 _black // Specular 
}

}

So unless i'm missing something the gargoyle model wont highlight with that material.. I guess you would have to somehow get the model to use a different texture which has the frob highlighting code included. That or there might be something else i'm missing here.