The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude's stuff

Bikerdude

For every bottle in your wine rack entity you add these args to it:

"def_attach" "wine_bottle"

"pos_attach1" "wine_holder_1"

"attach_pos_name_1" "wine_holder_1"

"attach_pos_origin_1" "0 0 15"

The last argument is the offset from the Wine Rack's origin.

http://wiki.thedarkm...itle=Def_attach

This whether it's easier to do this or add SEED spawnargs is probably a matter of degree but the

SEED spawnargs would allow you to have the game choose bottle skins at random so there's that and

you wouldn't need to figure out all the attach_pos_origin offset values.

Edit: And yes, every like kind of model (wine bottle) could be one entity and the rack another. If you used random

skinning SEED would make this into two entities vs your 11 ;)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Random_skin

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I dont follow..?

I mean a model like the following. It's a single model, 22 bottles, and only 157KB.

Mine as 3x the amount of bottles

That was just an example. You can put as many bottles as you like in it.

Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Hard to say. LWO models are binary so they take up less storage whilst ASE is plain text.

If I understand what you did correctly, you made FS geometry in DR then exported it as an ASE?

If that's the case, you almost certainly did not make a high-poly wine bottle then bake a normal map to

a lower poly bottle to save on tris. That could also account for your large ASE size.

I might put my money where my mouth is not that my family is out on vacation out-of-state and build my

own SEED version of this prefab for comparison.

That was just an example. You can put as many bottles as you like in it. Maybe I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Is there a way to merge models like that without learning to use a specific modelling program like Blender? Biker made his prefab in DR. I've tried making a couple of models in DR too in the past, but like Biker I found I'd generated massive ase files, 100s of times bigger than the map file where I built the model (and which must have held just as much information).

Is there a way to merge models like that without learning to use a specific modelling program like Blender? Biker made his prefab in DR. I've tried making a couple of models in DR too in the past, but like Biker I found I'd generated massive ase files, 100s of times bigger than the map file where I built the model (and which must have held just as much information).

http://wiki.thedarkm...tching_entities

Works at run time, with dynamic allocation of models up to the limit, and recompiles the merged model when LOD stages change (or never).

You aren't even limited to the same model or entity type.

Edited by Tels

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 months later...

Sorry if this is bringing back some sorta broken record but:

If you export as ASE from DR then import into Blender then export as OBJ from Blender does the same problem

happen?

ie. it's a Lightwave import format issue rather than DR specificaly?

I don't have Blender so can't try that.

Bugger I could sworn someone said Lightwave could import .OBJ files.

Well, since Biker is the one who wants to get this working and Blender is free... @ Biker? :P

Er no, Ive tried blender and its to over complicated. I havent touched since getting a cave model working for STAC.

Bugger I could sworn someone said Lightwave could import .OBJ files.

Er no, Ive tried blender and its to over complicated. I havent touched since getting a cave model working for STAC.

You don't need to make anything, just try importing one of your DR ASE's into Blender then export it as OBJ.

No modeling required.

There are only ase importer/exporter available for specific versions, and some of them are bugged, so this may not be the best approach.

If you want me to, I can try to write an obj export script for DR tomorrow.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

There are only ase importer/exporter available for specific versions, and some of them are bugged, so this may not be the best approach.

If you want me to, I can try to write an obj export script for DR tomorrow.

Yes please!!! and if it works correctly I will ask Greebo to remove and replace the existing .OBJ export option. So finally team members and other mappers can give Springheel models he can work with!

Okay, will do so.

Here ya go. Remove the txt ending and place it in your DR folder under scripts/commands. Enjoy.

Any update on this site?