The Dark Mod Forums

Gimp: text handling and fonts...

Bikerdude

Is it just me or is the text handling and fonts tool in Gimp just completely shit and cumbersome

In Windows Paint -

• create a text box,
  • click on the list of fonts and then type the first few letters of the name of the font I want.
  • I can see what the font is going to look like in the font name.
  • see all of the windows fonts I have installed.

In Gimp -

• create a text box but can't change the font in the mini toolbar attached to the textbox.
  • cant type-to-search in the font list.
  • cant see what the font I want is going to look like in the font list, I have to type some text in my text box.
  • dosent show all of the windows fonts.

How is such a basic function of a graphics application so user unfriendly...

There are a lot of usability issues with GIMP that keep me from making the jump. Layer boundries are a good example. Why does the end user care what size a layer is? Just expand the layer size as I paint outside it. It's unnecessarily complicated. Then there are features from Photoshop that I miss like layer groups, adjustment layers, proper color modes and yes the text editing tools in GIMP suck.

I end up using an collection of apps for whatever they do best. Inkscape for vector work. Mischief for sketching. I haven't settled on something for photo editing.

Edited by rich_is_bored

I recently went back to use GIMP to try to make some conceptual diagrams and found that the interface has

become more confounding than I remembered it from a few years ago. Then the default Paint app in Windows 8.1

is missing some options that were present in Windows XP so I've given up for a spell.

I figured since this topic was stirred, I would checkout the status of Gimpshop (a version of GIMP where the interface

was rearranged to look and act like photoshop) but found that it went stale a few years back and (worse) some

malware\adware outfit bought the gimpshop domain name and is hosting a version packaged with ads.

However, another enterprising developer has taken a stab at this type of functionality in a project called Gimphoto.

I'll be checking this one out shortly.

http://www.gimphoto.com/p/download-windows.html

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I'll be checking this one out shortly.

http://www.gimphoto.com/p/download-windows.html

Suffers from the same shit font/text control as gimp, uninstalled.

And Inkscape is also a non starter, the font control is non standard and lumpy and it dosent correctly recognise one of my windows fonts, so uninstalled.

Seems PS is the way to go, but even that is no mis behaving for some reason, I'm gettiing weird freezes atm.