The Dark Mod Forums

DR Lighting Question

Deadlove

It seems my ambient lights are not correct.

In DR I have them set so the ends of the light boxes are both sharing the same line on the grid.

In TDM this shows up apparently as a black line at the intersection of each hollowed cube.

How can I get it so the ambient light is consistent from room to room?

Here is the map file:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5m3c3w1dscrmrp6/green1c.map

Thanks.

• Like 1

How can I get it so the ambient light is consistent from room to room?

First of all I really strongly recommend you read through the whole of the A to Z guide because a lot of the questions you have been asking are covered... here is the section on creating an ambient light: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=A_-_Z_Beginner_Full_Guide_Page_2#Ambient_Light:_Gloom_not_Doom

The problem with your map is two things, 1) you don't have an ambient_world set and 2) you can just have one ambient light and drag it to cover the whole map.

I'll read that section and adjust.

I'm aware that I should be reading the A to Z, but to be completely honest I'm just way more intrigued by messing with the program instead of reading the manual, even though it may be a bit counter productive in the long run, as I may have to unlearn bad editing habits. At the same time, it will help me develop a personal mapping style and not be "taught" how to use a program.

Thanks for the info. I'll try out the ambient_world light and see what I can manage.

I'll read that section and adjust.

I'm aware that I should be reading the A to Z, but to be completely honest I'm just way more intrigued by messing with the program instead of reading the manual, even though it may be a bit counter productive in the long run, as I may have to unlearn bad editing habits. At the same time, it will help me develop a personal mapping style and not be "taught" how to use a program.

Thanks for the info. I'll try out the ambient_world light and see what I can manage.

This is what it should look like: http://www111.zippyshare.com/v/PwRNYU0b/file.html

• Like 1

Yes, only one ambient for the whole level. And if you want different ambient settings for different rooms, you dynamically change that one light with this system. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Location_Settings

I don't think doing the A to Z tutorial will cramp your personal style since it's so basic, but if you like teaching yourself, you can do that and read the tutorial later.

The really important part where a tut is helpful is understanding visportals and leafs, then stuff like objectives and readables... You're lucky they are partly automated now. Originally mappers had to literally code those things in bit by bit where a tutorial was indispensible.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Goldwell, I noticed that you put the center of the ambient light surrounded by a cube so it is within the void. That's necessary I guess for leaks if the center of the light doesn't end up inside a room?

Goldwell, I noticed that you put the center of the ambient light surrounded by a cube so it is within the void. That's necessary I guess for leaks if the center of the light doesn't end up inside a room?

Yes that's correct, the light entity will trigger a leak if it's origin point is out in the void, I usually place a small hollowed out caulk box around it to avoid this. In addition I also find it easy to find if I need to change a setting quickly while testing and don't feel like waiting for the entity list to load each time I need it.

The A-Z tutorial doesn't impact building style, since it covers just the basics and gives you a technical skillset. The final product of my A-Z project was Return to the City (and a few discarded bits and pieces), quite different from Fidcal's Thief's Den. You are free to apply the tutorial's steps to your own ideas. In fact, you should! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

http://www.mediafire.com/download/538631zr63p7a33/green1g.map

It's coming along, looking a bit more detailed now.

I feel like I'm going to be asking for help testing every area of this mission to tweak it as it is being built. I don't want it to go haywire, it's better to have help coach me along the whole time than at the end get a list of 100 things wrong and feel dwarfed to be able to fix them.

As a newbie to DR, the one thing that constantly throws me is how much there is to look through to decide what to put in a level. I've been looking for spiderwebs, still can't find them. That program is filled with assets.

it's better to have help coach me along the whole time than at the end get a list of 100 things wrong and feel dwarfed to be able to fix them.

That's kind of the whole point of the A to Z guide.