The Dark Mod Forums

The Thief/dark Mod Universe

thestemmer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong, I love the Victorian setting of the Thief games, but I'm also very intrigued by the aspects of it that seem to hearken to a much earlier time period. I've always associated the religious struggle between the Hammers and the Pagans with the struggle between Christianity and the earlier pagan religions of Europe. Seeing as Christianity spread from cities, I'd have to assume that the Hammerite religion does as well, which makes sense given the nature of their beliefs. However, seeing as the Hammers seem to think of themselves as a threatened minority, one can only assume that the Pagans have the upper hand in terms of the number of followers. While Christianity was able to convert entire countries within a few generations, the Hammers do not seem to successful.

To me, this implies that the continent where the City exists is still a mostly rural, largely undiscovered place, not nearly as united as 18th century Europe. The few large cities would exist as islands in the vast wilderness, something like city-states. The uneasiness with which the city dwellers refer to "the forest" seems to me to suggest that they are afraid of it and the concepts it represents. Maybe that's why the fanatical industrialism of the Hammerites seems so appealing to them.

I'm sure that's all pretty improbable from an anthropological standpoint, but that's my take on it.

Edited by thestemmer

Have you guys seen this mod?

Excomunicated

Obscurus - Yes, TYROT is making that Excommunicated mod. I also wouldn't say he betrayed the Dark Mod, nor would I consider Excommunicated a rival. I'm doing some concept art for it every now and then, yet I'm primarily helping out with the Dark Mod.

The two mods are so different in vision and approach, though, that it is not competition. I've made these for Excommunicated so far:

surrealsky_by_Darkness_Falls.jpg

Mask_by_Darkness_Falls.jpg

Edited by Darkness_Falls

It's funny you shoul dmention that kwc, after the Dark Mod, we plan to use the toolset to make a rape simulator mod. You basically play a Jack the Ripper type character called Dr. Faustus in a steampunk Victorian setting, who prowls the steets at night raping prositutes and then cutting them up.

Faustus is mad - he thinks that regularly eating the bolied clitoris' of his victims will endow him with everlasting life.

It'll be called Dr. Faustus Comes to London, or Crimson Death.

Hey, that's actually pretty neat :blink: I mean, I don't think there has ever been a game like that. You'd top the charts, people :lol:

Think we'd squeeze through wth a 'teen' rating?

Bahh... Once you show the game to the folks at MPAA (or whatever it is) they'll be so hooked they won't even bother anymore :D I mean, who hasn't ever fantasized about going on a spree of ultra-violence and the good ole forced "in-out"? I know I have...

:P

(yeah i'm a fan of both monty python and kubrick)

• 3 weeks later...

THIEF UNIVERSE IS NOT SET IN THE VICTORIAN AGE BUT IN A MIDDLE AGE SCENARYand so I WILL NO PLAY The Dark Mode if set in that age.

First of all, let me admit I am an history prof. and have a medieval archeology degree. Second: I am a great fan of Thief games and universe since 1999 .

I can assure you that Thief 1 and Thief 3(not thief2) are set MOSTLY in a MEDIEVAL WORLD ( NOT VICTORIAN! ) although there is a presence of Magic and a misterious revolutionary technology for that period.

To prove this I suggest you to come in Italy and explore the many medieval castles and places still intact: it will seem like walk in the Thief world.

I respect all of you who prefer an almost modern scenary for the Dark Mod,

but I 've always matched (and I will ) Thief Universe with Middle Ages!

THIEF UNIVERSE IS NOT SET IN THE VICTORIAN AGE BUT IN A MIDDLE AGE SCENARYand so I WILL NO PLAY The Dark Mode if set in that age.

First of all, let me admit I am an history prof. and have a medieval archeology degree. Second: I am a great fan of Thief games and universe since 1999 .

I can assure you that Thief 1 and Thief 3(not thief2)  are set MOSTLY  in a MEDIEVAL WORLD ( NOT VICTORIAN! ) although there is a presence of Magic and a misterious revolutionary technology for that period.

To prove this I suggest you to come in Italy and explore the many medieval castles and places still intact: it will seem  like walk in the Thief world.

1)

What, so they had electricity and gas powered street lights in Mediaeval Italy did they? Thief was a mix of anachronistic elements. There were guards in mediaeval armour, with swords from the middle ages. There were rooms with architecture that was clearly inspired by 18th and 19th century European forms. Thief has steam engines, electrical generators, electric lights and various machinery which are clearly based on 20th century inventions. There are bits of architecture and textures that are clearly based on classical Greek and Roman architecture and art. Thief was always a hodgepodge of everything. It is an anachronistic fantasy setting that has taken from just about every era of European history.

But if you average out the elements found in Thief, you wind up mostly in a Victorian or Edwardian setting, with a few bits here and there out of place, and a few buildings that are still the original mediaeval ones .

I don't know what university you obtained your degree from, but it clearly wasn't a very good one, as a cursory read of a few history textbooks reveals that you don't know what you are talking about. Also, as "an history prof.", you should know that a large chunk of European architecture is built upon ancient mediaeval buildings (and older), that have been added to and altered through the ages. It is the more recent additions that tell you what era Thief is set in, and it is obviously a Victorian world that has retained a lot of architecture, art and weaponry from the Middle Ages...

2)

The TDM team have always stated that TDM IS NOT THIEF, but like Thief. If you don't like what TDM is, don't play it by all means, but you seem to be labouring under some misconceptions, which if dispelled, might enable you to enjoy TDM for what it is...

I am a Zoologist by trade BTW, so feel free to dispute anything I have said, I might have read my textbooks the wrong way up ;) ...

I could forgive the terrible spelling and grammar as you may not be a native English speaker, but the attitude displayed above is straight out of grade three. And for someone who is supposedly a history professor, you sure have glossed over a LOT of details to classify the Thief setting as medieval.

Manzok, for one thing why should we omit T2 from the discussion of the Thief universe? Because its full of Victorian era stuff like gaslamps and phonographs? It doesnt make sense.

And T1/T3 had more than just a smattering of non-medieval influences. The guards uniforms in T3 struck me as being more Roman in appearance, for one thing.

Nobody forces you to play it. ;)

We don't.

Good. Because we are not making Thief, we are making The Dark Mod which is inspired by Thief. Since Thief is owned and copyrighted by LGS / ION (or whoever holds it at the moment) it is good for us if TDM is recognizable different than Thief. :)

Gerhard

Ok , thanks for the replies.

I just tried to say my personal opinion about the (victorian)way The Dark Mode is growing.

So, the Dark Mode WILL NO take the place of T3editor as it is going to change the typical Thief (MEDIEVAL ORIENTED) setting which is one of the main reasons

of Thief great immersivity .

Then, I DID NOT SAY Thief was set in Middle ages: I said Thief is set in a world which is surely INSPIRED by the medieval SOCIETY and ARCHITECTURE, although there are many elements taken from other historical periods and from fantasy which set Thief a MEDIEVAL FANTASY game.

In a few world ,Thief universe is more Medieval than Victorian for many aspects which I prefer not to list.

So,  turning Thief in a Victorian 'setting'  could be wrong in the same way would be Thief4 set in a 21th century world .

Although as you said TDM is a Thief-mode : everyone is free to create even a car racing game based on Thief .

Goodbye

1st, it is The Dark Mod, not The Dark Mode.

2nd, Why on Earth would it be wrong to set it in a generally Victorian period, when most people seem to agree that it is already a quasi-Victorian/pseudo-Mediaeval/Steampunk setting to begin with? Hell, the Angelwatch section in T2 was very obviously based on the 20th century Art Deco movement! I think you need to dust of some history and art books and have a good read...

Ok , thanks for the replies.

I just tried to say my personal opinion about the (victorian)way The Dark Mode is growing.

So, the Dark Mode WILL NO take the place of T3editor as it is going to change the typical Thief (MEDIEVAL ORIENTED) setting which is one of the main reasons

of Thief great immersivity .

If you wan't to map for TDS, by all means do so, but to say that a game set in a mediaeval world is more immersive than one set in a Victorian age is laughable. For that matter there is no reason why a Thief-inspired game set in 21st Century Cairo (just for example) would be inherently any less immersive than any other time or place - it is the story, plot, attention to detail and gameplay that makes it immersive. I still find Half-Life and Thief 1 & 2 to be immersive even though the graphics are getting pretty dated, they were so well crafted that they just suck you in, that is what immersion is about.

Then, I DID NOT SAY Thief was set in Middle ages

Yes, you did!

I said Thief is set in a world which is surely INSPIRED by the medieval SOCIETY and ARCHITECTURE, although there are many elements taken from other historical periods and from fantasy which set Thief a MEDIEVAL FANTASY game.

In a few world ,Thief universe is more Medieval than Victorian for many aspects which I prefer not to list.

That is not what you said, and in very few worlds indeed is that true! If you are so sure of this assertion, then surely you would develop a more detailed exposition of your point of view, after all that is what this thread topic is about. The fact that you don't suggests that you haven't really thought your positon through very well, and your petulant posts have not helped your case at all.

There was...but that was shortly before Eidos folded, so I doubt we'll see his ideas carried through anytime soon.

I'll see if I can find a link.

Yes, you will supply a link so that I can hate this man for all eternity ^_^

PS is there any user guide or manual document about how to use this new type of forum?

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!