The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone else think that killing an AI should make more sound?

kano

I don't mean sound for you the player to hear, I mean sound for nearby AI's to hear. They don't seem to be sensitive enough when one of their nearby comrades is slain, as long as they don't actually see it.

One example of this is on the new boat mission. I killed an AI sleeping in their quarters while someone was walking through the hallway and the AI out in the hallway didn't notice. If this were Thief, they definitely would have heard the sound.

Thoughts? I know that this is regarding game balance and is thus very difficult to get right.

The scream AI make when killed propogates to nearby AI.  I don't recall if sleeping AI make that scream though. 

Ah, okay, maybe that's it, then. One of the things I always loved about Thief was the huge difference in reaction of guards to a small sound vs a sudden huge noise made by the player. You would literally scare them if you e.g. landed on tile hard or hit a door with the sword and they previously didn't know you were there. Nice attention to detail.

I confess I was a door basher when I was young. It was the first thing I did if I didn't have the key and the lockpicks didn't fit.

Edited by kano

• 4 weeks later...

Don't care about killing noises as half the missions forbid killing - and blackjacking is faster and less noisy anyway.

But what about making the act of blackjacking emit some unavoidable noise too?
Got the impression, that only the body touching the ground emits noise - wich you can avoid on any flooring by grabbing the body in flight. I remember blackjacking AI literally right next to their comrades without them reacting at all while i heared the satisfying clonk on the victims head quite clearly.

The material-dependent noise of the blackjack hitting the head of an AI should be AI-hearable.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Status Updates

• Ansome

Finally got my PC back from the shop after my SSD got corrupted a week ago and damaged my motherboard. Scary stuff, but thank goodness it happened right after two months of FM development instead of wiping all my work before I could release it. New SSD, repaired Motherboard and BIOS, and we're ready to start working on my second FM with some added version control in the cloud just to be safe!
      · 1 reply
    • Petike the Taffer  »  DeTeEff

I've updated the articles for your FMs and your author category at the wiki. Your newer nickname (DeTeEff) now comes first, and the one in parentheses is your older nickname (Fieldmedic). Just to avoid confusing people who played your FMs years ago and remember your older nickname. I've added a wiki article for your latest FM, Who Watches the Watcher?, as part of my current updating efforts. Unless I overlooked something, you have five different FMs so far.
      · 0 replies
    • Petike the Taffer

I've finally managed to log in to The Dark Mod Wiki. I'm back in the saddle and before the holidays start in full, I'll be adding a few new FM articles and doing other updates. Written in Stone is already done.
      · 4 replies
    • nbohr1more

TDM 15th Anniversary Contest is now active! Please declare your participation: https://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?/topic/22413-the-dark-mod-15th-anniversary-contest-entry-thread/

· 0 replies
    • JackFarmer

@TheUnbeholden
      You cannot receive PMs. Could you please be so kind and check your mailbox if it is full (or maybe you switched off the function)?
      · 1 reply