The Dark Mod Forums

2.10 Subtitles

boissiere

I had subtitles correctly set up for a mission (at least I think), but they don't show up in-game. Would be nice to some info in console.

The use case is The hare in the snare mission intro. I followed the info from the wiki page, but the subtitles don't show up in mission intro.

I also encountered previously with the mission intro from mission Written in stone that although there was something wrong with the srt file, the subtitles didn't show up without error.

There are a lot of things that could be wrong, so currently I have only trial and error in such situations.

Edited by datiswous

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, datiswous said:

@stgatilovdo you have a testcase where using fromVideo in a subs file actually works? I tried this with mission The Hare in the Snare and couldn't get the subtitle to show. Then I extracted the audio from the video and used that in the subs file and it worked.

I'm pretty sure I tested this case.

Note that subtitles display only if there is appropriate GUI.
If you have your own overlay or own GUI file, then you might be missing proper #include of subtitles.

15 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Note that subtitles display only if there is an appropriate GUI.

I don't think it's using it's own gui for the intro video and it works fine if an audio file is used instead of the audio from the video. I don't think there's another mission that uses fromVideo and has subtitles included. I don't actually know any other mission that uses fromVideo.

So I was wondering what you tested it on.

Edited by datiswous

As a test I used this guide to make changes to mission Written in Stone so it uses the audio from the video file instead of the seperate audio file. (+ change to fm_root.subs)

Before the change, the subtitles show up. When I do the edit, I still hear the audio, but the subtitles are gone.

Either I'm doing something wrong, or this feature is currently broken.

Edited by datiswous

Ok I got it working. The reason is that it's explained wrong in the wiki. The wiki example says this:

subtitles fm_briefing {
    verbosity story
    srt "fromVideo video/briefing/briefing.mp4" "video/briefing/briefing.srt"
}

and

One complicated case is when you have an FFmpeg-based video with embedded sound. In this case write path to the video file, prepended with fromVideo keyword and space, just like you do in the sound shader. See fm_briefing in the example above.

But it should actually state the video briefing material, instead of briefing video file.

Correct? It must be, because now it works correctly, also in The hare in the snare.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Ok I got it working. The reason is that it's explained wrong in the wiki. The wiki example says this:

subtitles fm_briefing {
    verbosity story
    srt "fromVideo video/briefing/briefing.mp4" "video/briefing/briefing.srt"
}

and

But it should actually state the video briefing material, instead of briefing video file.

Correct? It must be, because now it works correctly, also in The hare in the snare.

I'm a little surprised that a direct file reference doesn't work but OTOH many Doom 3 conventions prefer def inheritance over direct file references. For example, particle textures.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

21 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Note that subtitles display only if there is appropriate GUI.
If you have your own overlay or own GUI file, then you might be missing proper #include of subtitles.

The debrief has it's own gui.  Can the subtitles be included for that gui?

For example by adding this?

//stgatilov #2454: display subtitles
	#define SUBTITLES_NAMEPREFIX BriefingVideo
	#include "guis/tdm_subtitles_common.gui"

Actually, maybe I should first test if the subtitles don't show up.. Is there a way to cheat a mission ending, so I don't have to play the whole mission?

Edited by datiswous

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

Ok I got it working. The reason is that it's explained wrong in the wiki.

Yes, exactly.

There is single code piece which handles "fromVideo", and it accepts material name, as FFmpeg video wiki says.
And the virtual sound sample is named like "fromVideo {mymaterialname}", by this name you assign subtitles to it.

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

The debrief has it's own gui.  Can the subtitles be included for that gui?

For example by adding this?

//stgatilov #2454: display subtitles
	#define SUBTITLES_NAMEPREFIX BriefingVideo
	#include "guis/tdm_subtitles_common.gui"

Yes, but you need to change the SUBTITLE_NAMEPREFIX to something unique, or you'll get a ton of warnings about name collisions.

24 minutes ago, datiswous said:

Thanks. But the end briefing doesn't show with that cheat, probably because it uses an internal end mission gui that is part of the mission. I wonder if tdm_end_mission does not also skip regular debriefings.

I think standard debriefing video should not be skipped.
As for debriefing, we don't have anything like that yet in core.