The Dark Mod Forums

"ongoing" objectives don't get checkmarked at end of mission

Skaruts

Not sure if this is a bug, or something that could be worked around in DR, but ongoing objectives don't get marked as completed at the end of missions. 

Here's a small video to illustrate this: https://i.imgur.com/qRkcmJ7.mp4

The "No kills" objective is the pre-made one from the mapstartpack_complete.pfb prefab. I didn't make any changes to it, apart from the displayed text.

I attached my test map here, where I've been experimenting with these objectives, and it's easy to reproduce this behavior in it (as seen in the video).

On a related note, TDM could display the complete list of objectives after the mission is completed (alongside the mission statistics). I think that would be a nice thing to have.

loot_obj_test.map

My FMs: By The Cookbook

I think it's probably right that the game doesn't presume when to check objectives or not, but it's really up to the mapper to design it. I think the simplest way to do this IIRC is to have the objective logic just fulfill the objective when all of the other objectives are fulfilled, but of course still irreversibly fail if the player kills. That should do the job.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

3 hours ago, demagogue said:

I think the simplest way to do this IIRC is to have the objective logic just fulfill the objective when all of the other objectives are fulfilled

How do you do that, though? I tried changing its success logic to make it depend on the "go to exit" objective, but that didn't make any difference. Still didn't get checkmarked at the end.

3 hours ago, demagogue said:

I think it's probably right that the game doesn't presume when to check objectives or not

I mean... it's the end of the mission. I don't think there's any assumptions to be made. If the player didn't kill by then, then the objective can only be fulfilled. Same for the loot one I made.

The "no kills" objective is different from the loot one, in that it's "satisfied at start" and "irreversible". If the player kills, the mission fails, rather than the objective. It's only not checkmarked from the beginning because it's "ongoing", I think.

But I still don't see any reason why it shouldn't get checkmarked at the end.

Edited by Skaruts

9 minutes ago, Skaruts said:

How do you do that, though? I tried changing its success logic to make it depend on the "go to exit" objective, but that didn't make any difference. Still didn't get checkmarked at the end.

I think it has to occur before the "go to exit" objective is triggered. That may just mean moving its place in the objective list, but another idea is to change the "go to exit" objective from that specific objective into triggering two arbitrary objectives in a row or triggering a script that triggers two arbitrary objectives, "objective1" (which checks the "don't kill" box) then "objective2" (which checks to "go to exit" box if all others are fulfilled).

This question has probably come up before, so run a search for it. I feel like somebody would have thought about this in designing the objective properties.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

What I'd like to see is being able to review the objectives when the mission is over, as extra pages on the Mission Statistics screen.

• Like 4

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

A House Call

The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

@demagogue I'm not being able to get them checkmarked, anyway. I used a trigger to see if they would, and they didn't (I used an extra dummy objective to be sure the trigger was working, and that one did get checkmarked). I suspect it may have to do with them being set to "ongoing". Like I mentioned before, the kills objective is already fulfilled from the start, anyway, and it's not checkmarked. 

Still, I don't think that would work. It just adds complications that I think are unnecessary. The kills objective could simply be checkmarked, but the loot objective (or any similar ones) couldn't. You'd have to check if the played actually did get loot or not. That would require some actual scripting, I suppose, which I don't think should be required for this  kind of thing.

I still think this is something that should be handled by the game. The issue here is simply there not being a visual feedback for the completion of "ongoing" objectives, and the completion of those is only at the end of the mission. The game should simply check whether or not the objectives were fulfilled and override the "ongoing" thing and checkmark them. 

Although, a player would only have a few seconds to see their objectives checkmarked. I think this would be more meaningful if the game allowed the player to review the objectives after the mission. If that was a thing, then those objectives wouldn't have to get checkmarked until after the mission. The issue above wouldn't be an issue.

Edited by Skaruts

• 7 months later...
On 6/5/2023 at 8:17 AM, thebigh said:

What I'd like to see is being able to review the objectives when the mission is over, as extra pages on the Mission Statistics screen.

If someone would make a modification of the mission statistics screen gui, with an extra button for looking at the completed objectives, is there a chance that this gets included in core?

• Like 1