The Dark Mod Forums

Portrait Of A Thief

Springheel

This is something I started back when I thought I'd work on some mission briefing art this summer. Realizing now how far away the campaign really is, I'm not going to be doing anything of the sort for some time. Thought I'd post the portrait anyway. Maybe it could inspire someone to come up with a name.

thief1.jpg

Yeah, it's good work but not the sort of person I had in mind for the thief at all. That would be like getting Antonio Banderas or George Clooney to play him in a movie instead of some gritty character actor.

I'd prefer something olde englyshe sounding like Cynric or Wælþeof or Farrell

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Sorry, but I agree with oDDity in that the face is not what I was envisioning either. He does seem a bit too Hollywood'ish for our needs. Also, for cutscenes in our campaign, I don't want our mod suffering the same fate as T3 where the thief's face is shown non-stop in the cutscenes. It ruined the mysteriousness of Garrett for me and others. More shadow should fall over his face in that drawing, imo.

Hmm, interesting reactions. :) I thought, as a former noble, he would have the look of good breeding, but I didn't think I made him look -that- suave.

My thoughts from a post a long time ago...

"I think our thief should have a little scruff... some 'five o'clock' shadow, if you will. After all, we're talking about a dingy, oily, etc. environment and I don't think it's as realistic to have a squeaky-clean, clean-shaven thief. He's just getting by on odd jobs anyways and probably doesn't care too much for personal hygiene. Even though his nose and mouth will likely be covered by cloth eventually, texturing underneath with some scruff might still be a good idea."

Unless the campaign storyline doesn't mesh with an unkempt character, I think he should be a little unkempt. Scruff is one way, but since our thief will mostly have his lower face covered, adding some overall dirtyness, oilyness, grimyness to his face would be cool, imo.

Also from long ago, I liked in T2 when the guards would sometimes mumble something like, "Oof, good lord, what's the smell? Smells like a rat died... hrmph..." when you got near them. I know that's not a verbatim quote, but something similar. Hopefully you remember and liked it when they said this on rare occasion. I'd like us to look into doing this for DarkMod as it added another element to the AI -- they were subtly reacting to you being nearby -- but they never knew what it was or that it was Garrett so it wouldn't put them on alert. I just feel this is a polishing touch that I appreciated and was sorry to see not present in T3. Thus, another vote for why 'dirtyness' would be good to have.

I had always assumed they (the guards) were talking about themselves with those comments, in fact i know they confirm that with a line like "What's that smell, smells like old meat. Oh it's me... Hmmmm"

Plus a good thief isn't going to go around smelling like rotten eggs.

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Well, a destitute one would; back in those times probably even moreso, imo. Not rotten eggs, just unbathed for a few.

On the contrary, would you prefer he wore cologne and deodorant? I'm sure that wouldn't give him away ;)

I don't remember the "oh, it must be me" line addenda you mention. I don't remember ever hearing that. If I did, it must've only been once. Does anyone else remember the exact quotes?

I always took their remarks of "what's that smell" to mean they were smelling Garrett and they just didn't realize it they were.

I don't see any reason why a successful thief would be any smellier than a guard.

Are you sure there weren't at least a couple of different variations on their 'smelly' quote? I seem to remember 2 or 3. Oh well, I could be dreaming. Regardless, the quote you gave, Domarius, still is inconclusive (imo) as to if the guard is referring to himself, or something in his surroundings. In fact, that quote could be taken either way. I don't see it as being as conclusive as all of you all think.

Let's just drop this. We won't come to an agreement on this. I personally saw it as an enhancement to somehow incorporate smell into our campaign -- without 'really' incorporating it -- and this was a way to do it. It would add to immersion as our thief would give the illusion that he affects his surroundings not only by sight and sound, but also by smell. All it would take is the voice actors to create a verbal line or two. Done deal.

I was thinking back to Garrett, who sometimes steals loot just to pay rent and get by month to month. I thought he was more of a grungier character than you all do. And it's a fact that you can't smell your own body odor nearly as well as you can someone else's... so just because a guard hasn't showered for three days doesn't mean he couldn't smell someone else's ripeness. In fact, it's more likely he'd smell someone else's than his own.

You feel this is unrealistic, so no biggie. Let's just move on. If our thief is successful and showers every day, then more power to him.