The Dark Mod Forums

Realtextures

Fingernail

And specifically, where to stick them.

Priorities: we have to keep them separate somehow, and make it obvious precisely WHICH textures are from realtexture.com

The best way to do this is to give them an extension, RT_ to the filename. If it's a prefix it won't interfere with the _local and other suffixes.

Additionally the material files should be separate. Again, an RT_ prefix should suffice.

ie. rt_walls.mtr

and textures: rt_wall1_d.tga

That should help make it obvious which are which.

I'm starting on pack 3 (the largest one, I have them all now). All come with heightmaps which I'm converting to normalmaps with not much tweaking at the moment. The priority is to get them ingame and working. Then if there are problems with how they look, we can alter them. But I think most should be perfect.

fing, if you have a university available locally you might be able to jump on one of their computers and upload via a few cd's you bring with. That's what i did to upload the T2X breifings and cutscenes, as my home has a whopping 11k upload rate. <_<

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

• 4 weeks later...

So what's the status of these textures? Our beta-mappers are justifiably asking for an updated build, and we should include a number of new textures.

So what's the status of these textures? Our beta-mappers are justifiably asking for an updated build, and we should include a number of new textures.

I was wondering about the updated build. Should we wait and release it at the same time as the new movie so that our new assets and systems will remain a surprise? Spar also mentioned that he will likely have time to merge the new 1.3 Doom 3 SDK into our code base in a few weeks, so we should definately wait until after that so everyone is on the same page. :) I would say Christmas is a good time to get everything out in the open.

Non beta mappers are wondering about textures as well. :blush:

I see what looks like some new stuff (even beyond textures) in BT's map - when do those get added as well?

I think we'll see those added once BT's life settles down a bit. :) He has been uber busy lately, same with Renz who is working something like six days a week right now. Hopefully soon though.

I would like to get a male and female voice set completed by Christmas as well.

I was wondering about the updated build. Should we wait and release it at the same time as the new movie so that our new assets and systems will remain a surprise?

I don't understand why we would rob our beta-mappers of three months of work with new tools for the sake of a 'surprise'. I would think we'd want them to have better assets asap. The better their maps look, the better we look.

I don't understand why we would rob our beta-mappers of three months of work with new tools for the sake of a 'surprise'. I would think we'd want them to have better assets asap. The better their maps look, the better we look.

Well, I wasn't saying we should do this. I was simply wondering 'if' we should. I'm just thinking in terms of the new systems we've recently added and also the upcoming 1.3 merge. We really shouldn't release a completely new package to them before we have completed the merge. Perhaps we could do a minor update with some new textures and props to bridge the gap but I don't think we should release a completely new alpha at least until after the merge. If the merge is completed well before Christmas and the movie..all the better, we can package it up right away...providing it's stable. That way, they'll get to play with the new environmental sound features. I don't want to rob them of anything Spring, but if we're going to give them an updated alpha lets just make sure we give them the best one possible. I'm just as anxious to get it into their hands as anyone but we shouldn't rush.

There are pros and cons until waiting for the merge with 1.3:

Pro: It would allow our mappers to use portal skies and setup EAX sound environments for their maps.

Cons: Obviously we have to wait until it's done. It might break some of our other code add-ons which would add on to the time it takes to get our code up and running after the merge.

Personally, I think we could just release the current build we have now along with our updated texture structure and no one could complain. I don't see what's wrong with more frequent updates, but less polished, rather than giving them nothing for months so that we can have a polished update. This is after all an alpha and far from the final release. That's just my opinion though, I can understand the arguments against that as well.

Before we do that, we should ask them how they feel about upgraiding to 1.3. We can eitehr give them a new release before or after the merge. If more them don't want to upgrade, we can just as well give it to them sooner. If not, then they will have to wait until after the merge. Releasing it with the movie might be nice, but then again, it's still an internal release anyway, so the 'surprise' wont matter for most people.

Gerhard

Personally, I think we could just release the current build we have now along with our updated texture structure and no one could complain. I don't see what's wrong with more frequent updates, but less polished, rather than giving them nothing for months so that we can have a polished update. This is after all a beta and far from the final release. That's just my opinion though, I can understand the arguments against that as well.

I think it's fine to release it earlier as well but felt we should also entertain the idea of holding off for something more complete. Either way, beta mappers will be getting something new. :)

Releasing it with the movie might be nice, but then again, it's still an internal release anyway, so the 'surprise' wont matter for most people.

True enough...I wasn't thinking that part through properly.

I would like to hold off though until the lightgem is finished. As I don't see any big problems right now, this may be not so long away now, and it would be cool to have this tested properly, considering that this can cause a lot of problems with the current implementation.

Gerhard

I would like to hold off though until the lightgem is finished. As I don't see any big problems right now, this may be not so long away now, and it would be cool to have this tested properly, considering that this can cause a lot of problems with the current implementation.

I've been following your progress and it sounds great. I guess one of the downsides is that it still has to swap the rendershot to the hard drive? Too bad Brian wouldn't let something slip about how to get around that one huh? ;)

I wasn't assuming that we'd be packaging all our new systems, actually. I was just thinking it would be a package of new models and textures. I think that's all the beta-mappers were asking for. I don't think they care right now about whether they can shoot water arrows or anything. It would be nice for them to eventually be able to test their maps with mantling, etc, working, but I agree that could wait for a few months.

Ah. That's cool, didn't know. Good to hear Renz is not, in fact, pushing up daisies. :P

Damn, that's morbid. :P

I think we should only release code to the beta mappers that we consider complete...or at least complete enough so that it's useable without being too buggy. If mantling, the lightgem code, and all the other miscellaneous features that have been added since I dropped off the face of the earth 3 months ago are near complete then I don't see a reason why we shouldn't go ahead and throw them in.

But one thing is for sure, we definately have to package and send the realtexture set to em. Hell, I'd like to have em too now that I think about it. ;)

I'm adding more realtextures as I go, basically.

A few grass ones in, some roof (we lack decent roof tile textures IMO), a window or two, some walls, etc.

I'll consolidate my efforts over the coming week since I now have nothing to do, as my University and Music College applications all got sent off on Thursday \o/

Glad to see you back man, I had thought you had quit or something ;)

Nope, just busy...still am actually.

Fing, is there any way I can get ahold of the full DVD set? I can wait til it's filtered into the mod, but I'd prefer to have the whole thing. If anyone is willing to send em to me via AIM/MSN/ICQ/FTP I'd be more than happy.

Oh yeah, as for the old BT links...is it still going, are there more seeders now? I could try and give it another go there.

Didn't we have some people willing to do some texture grunt work? We should we giving some of these to them. Look at what Gleeful has been able to pull off with his own textures and making models out of brushes. Imagine if he had our new texture pack and BT's latest mansion models to work with--we'd be able to post screenshots that would have TTLG drooling from their ears.