The Dark Mod Forums

Darkmod Questions

KalasMannen

Hello!

I've been visiting your site every now and then and reading in the forums for a while now, and i must say that this looks really promising! As the thief fan i am, i've played through The dark project and The metal age, but not Deadly shadows yet. I don't like the whole idea about thir person, i think it kinda ruins the Thief feel, but i might try it sometime.

Anyway, i have a few questions to you about the way this game is developed and the features it'll have.

Will there be zombies like in The dark project? I've seen a few threads mentioning this, but i didn't find an answer to it.

What about the feel of the game? Are you trying to recreate the feel of the dark engine (or whatever it was called) from TDP, TMA? By that i mean the simple climbing (mantling?) edges that were to high to jump onto, peeking around corners and such.

Lockpicking? Will it be like in the other games (i don't know how lockpicking worked in TDS, but i was same thing right?) Hold down use button until unlocked or change pick?

I really enjoy the thief games, but it's a pain in the ass to get it working on a modern computer! I had to download a whole kit of tweaks and read on forums on how to run it on my p4 HT, took me a day to get i working, but i still love the story and feel of it.

I wish you the best of luck, and i hope that things go smooth!

P.S

Excuse me for my bad english, hope this is readable ;)

D.S

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

Will there be zombies like in The dark project? I've seen a few threads mentioning this, but i didn't find an answer to it.

Yes there will be pretty much everything and a few other things from T1/2.

What about the feel of the game? Are you trying to recreate the feel of the dark engine (or whatever it was called) from TDP, TMA? By that i mean the simple climbing (mantling?) edges that were to high to jump onto, peeking around corners and such.

Yes, mantling will be there, so will leaning, and so will rope arrows, water etc.

Lockpicking? Will it be like in the other games (i don't know how lockpicking worked in TDS, but i was same thing right?) Hold down use button until unlocked or change pick?

This is where it's a bit different. As far as i remember, there will be 2 methods you can use for lockpicking, choosable in the main menu. #1 is the T1/2 classic style and #2 is a more complex, realistic way, in which you have to get the right torque etc to get the pins to set; basically based on RL lockpicking.

I really enjoy the thief games, but it's a pain in the ass to get it working on a modern computer! I had to download a whole kit of tweaks and read on forums on how to run it on my p4 HT, took me a day to get i working, but i still love the story and feel of it.

Tell me about it lol, the movies like to stuff up often lol. Yeah, the story is kickass.

I wish you the best of luck, and i hope that things go smooth!

Excuse me for my bad english, hope this is readable ;)

Thanks, and no, your English is fine :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

This only sounds better and better! Liked the thing about classic/realistic lockpicking, that sounds really interresting, hope it makes it into the final product though :).

I can't wait to mess around with the tools and see what i can create. Last time i was mapping was for q1 :P

I liked opening a lock in Still Life. Is TDM the same?

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

There will no doubt be further discussions about lockpicking as we haven't coded it yet.

There will no doubt be further discussions about lockpicking as we haven't coded it yet.

really? :huh:

i was secretly hoping it would be included in the next release. :(

oh well, gut ding will weile haben*, as we say.

kind regards

gleeful

* good things take their time

Nämen tjenare tjenare, vart kommer du ifrån då? :)

Tja! Visste inte att det fanns svenskar bland folket här! Kommer från Örebro :P

As for the lockpicking, true that lockpicking isn't the most important thing, maybe it's more important to concentrate on the over-all feel of the map rather than just door to lockpick. It's a cool idea though with the realistic lockpicking. Adds a little challenge to it, rather than just holding the button down and wait.

Edited by KalasMannen

A mapper could design an entire map without needing to know exactly how lockpicking is going to work, so we've left it off the priority list right now. The system we eventually use will be more than the 'hold down and wait' T2 system (though that will probably still exist as an option) but how realistic it will be is still up for debate.

Bara jag från Sverige (Varberg) Modetwo (killen som har servern med forumet) är norsk, så han fattar vad vi säger.. :)

Jaha, det var som katten! :D

Har lyssnat på Soundtracket, du hade visst med en och annan låt där :P Är det du som ska göra ljueffekter och sånt eller?

Heh, jo, jag bossar runt över kanske 4-5 personer som gör musik och ljudeffekter. Själv gör jag mest effekter, så jag hade bara en låt med på soundtracket tyvärr. Svårt att hinna med.. :)

Tror jag ska slänga in några ljudeffekter på volym 2, så jag får glänsa lite. :D

Nothin going on here folks. No plotting for world domination or anything, promise

Heh, jo, jag bossar runt över kanske 4-5 personer som gör musik och ljudeffekter. Själv gör jag mest effekter, så jag hade bara en låt med på soundtracket tyvärr. Svårt att hinna med.. :)

Tror jag ska slänga in några ljudeffekter på volym 2, så jag får glänsa lite. :D

Nothin going on here folks. No plotting for world domination or anything, promise

Tufft! :laugh:

Ser verkligen fram emot att få se hur moden tar sig, gillade soundtracket skarpt!

oh sure :P

something about modetwo i saw a bit up, i'm guessing he's sven as well, damn you all, plotting *starts watching suspiciously*

:P

Bloody Swedes, I'm getting my Swedish-English dictionary out, so watch it with the conspiring and plotting! ;)

Sona si Latine loqueris!

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare...

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.