The Dark Mod Forums

The Sky

bob_arctor

After playing Darwinia (You guys not in the Uk know what that is right? Google it, worth getting, coming out on Steam now) I have had a thought. Few games bother with making the sky good. Darwinia did in its own interesting way, Thief put loads of effort in for the time, and Boiling point had a quite a cool day/night sky. But Thief (classic natch, TDS had only one state of sky) is still the best (Blast you Nvidia card!) with moving clouds going over the moon like in real life.

Think about other games, like Vice City or other GTAs. That had an amazing city maybe but a CRAP sky, really low res, a massively overdone sun and moon, all stretched and fuzzy.

So modern games only do a skybox image for the sky. Rubbish. Not good enough for Thief. But will TDM have a cool sky with moving clouds and stuff, maybe a few different types, high res, etc. despite the doom3 engine?

Boiling Point? Xenus Boiling Point?

I liked morrowind sky, if it wasn't always the same.

Too late to save us but try to understand

The seas were empty -- there was hunger in the land

We let the madmen write the golden rules

We were just Children of the Moon

We're lost in the middle of a hopeless world

Children, Children of the Moon watch the world go by

Children, Children of the Moon are hiding from the Sun and the Sky

© The Alan Parsons Project - Children of the Moon

Yes you can do all of that bob_arctor :)

As pak said, the 1.3 merge introduces portal skies, which function in pretty much the same way as Unreal 1's skyzone. This means that you could put the "sky camera" right next to an npc in another section of the map, and in the main part of you mission you would see him there, doing his idle animation (of course, he would be in the sky, and it would look kinda wierd, but anyway.

So yeah, portal skies are looking to be very good :)

I remember playing Serious Sam on low config... It looked like I was walking around a giant box or something... I could make out the edges. With sky texture on the ceiling... Didn't look too good, I felt somewhat imprisoned. Are we really in just a box while playing..?

The heXen sky was a little strange too - it was OK, but if you looked right up there was a big black hole... And sometimes it turned one type of grayish color.

So are you going to put a lot of effort into the sky? I don't actually mean 3D skyboxes and the like which I have seen in Source, I mean actually putting in animated sky features, high detail, moon stars clouds, and maybe a few different options available to FM designers?

It's something important I find, and people here seem to agree, like the example with Morrowind.

Also: Weather?

Half the time you are talking, I don't even know whether you are serious or not...

Well, I don't know whether Thief has meteor showers?

The skies in hexen edge of chaos that bloodrayne made up already looked incredible and that was before the 1.3 patch.

Can you put the sky dome behind the portal sky? So you have an alpha texture or something for the portal sky so mountains and such block the"sky" from the players perspective? Of course then people will try to noclip out to the mountains :)

And how do you know what sky is there? There is only one screen with a sky, and it doesn't look good to me. And there are just those 6 screens and trailer...

I agree, the sky can be one of the most immersive parts of a mission if done correctly (some games in recent memory would be Half Life 2 and Resident Evil 4 has some pretty mood setting sky scenes).