The Dark Mod Forums

Status Of Texture Pack

Springheel

What has happened to those DVDs of textures we got? Is anyone actually working to get them in game? Does anyone other than BT actually have access to them?

Why on earth would we put it in the video??

Anyway.... It would be nice to make use of them. If we could at least make them accessible, we could always give them to beta-mappers to create normals.

In the promo video? Are we going to credit anyone else for the things that get used? I don't know why we'd single out that one person--it's not like the textures are the focus of the video.

Well, of course we would in the mod credits.

Have we actually even USED any of his textures yet? I thought once we got them we'd see a huge pile of new textures being added to the mod every week, but that simply hasn't happened.

Indeed, it's very strange - it's been several months and very little info. Our communication is not the best it seems. :) Even if work is/is not proceeding on textures, we should probably all be aware, so that we know if we can/should assist. And they certainly don't have to (and shouldn't) come all at once, in case it's being "saved up" for a big release - we have CVS afterall, and that's what it's for. Good textures could be inspiring world building.....

When I looked them over on his website I saw literally more than a hundred that would be very suitable to our needs. I don't know whether they had normals or not, but making decent normals isn't a huge job. I'd be happy to churn out a few on a regular basis if I had access to them.

Part of the problem is that nobody is really in charge of textures right now. Renzatic hasn't posted in months, and it seems like all our other texturers are busy mapping or learning how to model. (which isn't such a bad thing, but it means no-one is working exclusively on textures)

True. At least whilst Renz is away and BlackThief is intermittantly present and mainly modelling, we need a new TEXTURE CHIEF.

I'll have a quick poke around people I know and then perhaps we can start advertising for members again. We may have more chance in getting someone if they think they're going to be in charge of the whole department, or at the very least it might make Renz envious enough to come back.

Anohter problem is that none of us know which textures have already been normal mapped etc, so it's easy to be working on the same ones twice.

I have them and coukld produce a few normal maps from some of the more THiefy ones, but which ones have been done already?

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

ORGANIZATIONAL EFFORTS POWER UP!

Okay, I need to know the status on the realtexture set. Does anyone have it besides BT and Spar?

I've seen some of BT's recent efforts, I'll need to catalog his and get the most recent version of the mod. It has the textures packed in right?

Based on what I've seen, we're flying ahead in the coding department, but our art assets are really lagging behind. I'm gonna look over everything over the next few, make a few posts, try and get some info on what everyone is working on at the mo, and I'll whip the texture department back into shape.

I'll even start contributing myself come wednesday and thursday. ;)

Oh yeah, and someone PM me my password...I kinda forgot it. :P

As named in the original packs (my converted textures have more descriptive names), these are the ones that are ingame (some of the normals might need reworking in a couple of them eventually). They're not CVS'd yet, they've just been sitting around for a while :wub:

Pack 3

vh37

none16

vh28

vh01

vh29

hor18

hor10

Pack 1

rfs02

You should definitely put them on CVS so they'll be available to our beta-mappers next release.

I guess in this case you have to ask modetwo for a new one. Anyway, even admins wouldn't see your password. They could reset it though. If this is what you mean, I can do this, if I ever find the admin password again. :) But NH can, he is doing all this tricks all the time. :)

Gerhard

I guess in this case you have to ask modetwo for a new one. Anyway, even admins wouldn't see your password. They could reset it though. If this is what you mean, I can do this, if I ever find the admin password again. :) But NH can, he is doing all this tricks all the time. :)

Better ask modetwo, I don't think we're supposed to mess with that stuff since the hack. :) I'm also not going to be at home for a few more days, so I don't have my access codes with me. ;)

Eh, I'm managing. ;)

Yeah...go ahead and reset it if you get the chance. If not I can wait for Modetwo to come around.

And lastly, I don't understand why we don't just upload 1 realtexture disc at a time to the FTP. It's fairly large, but considering that we won't be beating the hell out of their bandwidth it shouldn't be too big a deal.