The Dark Mod Forums

Amd2000 -- Lightgem

Springheel

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But yes, I think the compass ring can be placed on the gui, and the overlay can be a more static image. We'll see if the image qualities clash. :)

How do you mean that? The compass ring being moveable and the gem itself being static? Not sure what you mean by "the overlay being static".

I thought that the lightgem is a full 3D object that will twist and turn with the players movement.

Gerhard

Spar: The idea is that we might use a 2d image of the gem and put it on top of the compass. It wouldn't look any different (theoretically) and would take less rendering power. Then, to change the colour, we could just transition between several different .jpg versions of the gem.

The compass itself has to stay 3d so it can spin.

Edited by Springheel

The compass itself has to stay 3d so it can spin.

I don't know if this is a good idea. This would mean that the gem itself would stay locked but the compass ring would move around it? I wonder how that will look in-game. I must check how this is done in T3. Didn't they do it the same way? BlackThief said that they used something like 16 textures with different colors.

Gerhard

yeah they did it like in T1/2. the lightgem is a object and the texture of the object changes.

It wouldn't look any different (theoretically) and would take less rendering power.

I don't think that it'd took rendering power because the world arround you doesn't have any affect to the lightgem. just the texture changes.

offish can you please send me the textures you used ? I don't have lightwave so I can't open them.

email BlackThief@gmx.net or upload them to the ftp.

yeah they did it like in T1/2. the lightgem is a object and the texture of the object changes.

It wouldn't look any different (theoretically) and would take less rendering power.

I don't think that it'd took rendering power because the world arround you doesn't have any affect to the lightgem. just the texture changes.

oofnish can you please send me the textures you used ? I don't have lightwave so I can't open them.

email BlackThief@gmx.net or upload them to the ftp.

Edited by BlackThief

I don't have to textures for the lightgem and blender can't open/find them either, so I can't work on it till oofnish sends them to me.

I don't understand this. Can't you use some other textures for the UV mapping?

One problem though. I'm not sure if the ASE file can handle more then one texture file. I think I read something to that effect so you might investigate this on the D3 board.

Gerhard

actually I could, but when I use something different I don't know if it looks good with the final texture.

One problem though. I'm not sure if the ASE file can handle more then one texture file. I think I read something to that effect so you might investigate this on the D3 board.

well can't we just change the texture like you did with the frobhighlight ?

actually I could, but when I use something different I don't know if it looks good with the final texture.

Well, the final textures would be applied via the material so this wouldn't matter.

well can't we just change the texture like you did with the frobhighlight ?

Of course. But I don't know how this is done when more than one texture is used. How do you tell Doom3 where each texture should go? UV mapping just tells the engine how to apply a texture, but not which one should go on a particular spot.

Oh! Or you must combine the multiple textures into a single one and then UV map this, right?

Gerhard

oh, I think I missunderstood that. I thought you were talking about, how to change the texture of the lightgem, when you're in light/shadow.

Well, the final textures would be applied via the material so this wouldn't matter.

well UV-mapping isn't so easy to do. it's hard to do that without the finaltexture....hard to explain though.

Edited by BlackThief

I don't know if this is a good idea. This would mean that the gem itself would stay locked but the compass ring would move around it? I wonder how that will look in-game. I must check how this is done in T3. Didn't they do it the same way? BlackThief said that they used something like 16 textures with different colors.

Calm down. Just let oofnish have a crack at it so you'll see what we're talking about.

The Gem is perfectly round - you won't see it move even if it is fully rendered in real time. Therefore it is a waste of resources, and will look much better as a static image that has had a lot of nice pre-rendered effects applied to it, and look better than it could in real-time, and use less resources to boot. It can be a high enough detail image that the difference between it and the compass ring wouldn't be noticible. Oofnish is going to try it out to see if we can get away with it.

It may even be easier to control with programming, since it will just be a series of frames that show a dark gem gradually becoming a lighter gem. The glow at full brightness could be a wonderfully radiant effect that you just couldn't do in real-time.

I'm just skinning the lightgem. Of course I do this for myself and not for you, because you can expect how it will look when I do this. :)

I noticed a severe problem with the model from oofnish. It is hollow. Doom 3 can not render this because it doesn't accept doublesided polygons. So for all models that are built they always need a seperate bottom even if you think it will never be seen. In the case of the lightgem this is of course not really true, because it depends on the players position what you can see. If the player turns around enough the bottom might be seen a little so it will need it anyways.

Gerhard

It may even be easier to control with programming, since it will just be a series of frames that show a dark gem gradually becoming a lighter gem. The glow at full brightness could be a wonderfully radiant effect that you just couldn't do in real-time.

This is how it was done in T3. The compass was a 3d object and the gem itself was skinned with 16 different stages of the gem from light to dark.

In the case of the lightgem this is of course not really true, because it depends on the players position what you can see. If the player turns around enough the bottom might be seen a little so it will need it anyways.

I don't understand this comment...the lightgem should never move in any way other than rotating around the center gem.

I don't understand this comment...the lightgem should never move in any way other than rotating around the center gem.

No. When you look at T2 then you will notice that it tilts (or is it yaw?) as well, indicating the players absolute world orientation. So if you look upwards the compass moves accordingly. Nevertheless, the engine doesn't know that and it would accept that model. You always have to have solid models with proper thickness. No single polygonthick models.

Gerhard

I know it did in T2, but we don't want that in the mod...otherwise when you are looking straight ahead you won't be able to see where north is. We are basically following the T3 model, where the compass only rotates, not tilts. I'm not arguing the model shouldn't be finished though.

I know it did in T2, but we don't want that in the mod...otherwise when you are looking straight ahead you won't be able to see where north is. We are basically following the T3 model, where the compass only rotates, not tilts. I'm not arguing the model shouldn't be finished though.

The model that is uploaded can not be used. Either somebody cleans it up or models it from scratch. It has a lot of vertices which are pretty uselessand geometry that looks quite strange. All on the underside.

Gerhard