The Dark Mod Forums

Goldfish's Silent Hill Poster Entries

god_is_my_goldfish

This is the first of a few different variations on the poster for the Silent Hill movie I'm entering into the official contest.

EDIT 12/20/05- Last batch!

Okay, I've got several now which are pretty much done, but I need some help in narrowing it down to just one to submit.

I redid the door thing much better, with several color variations.

Click on the images to see them larger, ignore the watermark as well.

th_door3yellow.jpg th_door3redDesat.jpg th_door3blue.jpg th_door3red.jpg

The Broken road one is here with some alterations to it as well.

th_brokenroadblue.jpg

Keeping in mind that I need a better tagline,

Which one would make you want to see the film most?

Click on the image to see it larger, ignore the watermark as well.

th_rustdoorV1.jpg

EDIT 12/12/05- Here's my new poster, again crits welcome

th_BrokenroadV1.jpg

Any feedback or critiscisms are very welcome :)

I'll post up the other ones as they get done, for more info on the movie go to:

http://www.welcometosilenthill.com

Thanks

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

Well, I suppose the most useful crit I can give is this definitley won't win, and that's for sure.

It just hasn't got that x-factor. It's hard to explain exactly what the x-factor is, but that's what judges look for. Thaa's competent work, but it's expected, there needs to be somehitng unusual and special about it.

I'd imagine there will be some pretty stiff competition as well,and some of those definitely will have the x-factor. so you really need to be in top gear for something like this. You need to grab the judges by the balls, becasue thy know the intent of a poster like this is to grab the public by the balls.

I think you need to start from scratch and think of something with more...well...more everything.

That's vague, but Chrst, if I knew exactly what, I'd enter the thing myself)

In fact, having recently won a competition wiht a model concept, I've got the contest bug, and may have a go at this as well...

Don't take this as negativity, it's just honesty. I have a natural eye for what looks good.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

What oDDity said. Looks very good but not very original.

Doesn't that film have zombies in it? This could be the cleaner locked in at work when everyone else has gone home.

How about a zombie saying: "Braaaaaaains... you won't need them to enjoy this sub-standard gore fest!"

The problem I have with both of them is that in looking at the posters I have absolutely no idea what the film is about. Is it zombies, ghosts, terrorists, or just a film about somebody who gets stuck in cupboards and likes looking at waterfalls?

A film poster needs to encourage people to watch the film who may not necessarily have heard of it before. To do this it needs to convey an impression of the subject matter, without giving too much away.

I was just about to say this. :) In the second image I don't even see any fright in here face. When I first saw it, it looked more to me like she is looking in wodnerment at something. The intial impression I got from this was that this is some kind of fantasy movie, rather than a horror flick.

Gerhard

Yeah, I'm trying to either emphasize the claustrophobic/lost feeling that the games have, but unfortunately the selection of images we were provided with weren't exactly prime material. <_<

I've still got one or two more up my sleeve, and the deadline isn't until the 4th of January, so I've still got time.

Okay, I've got several now which are pretty much done, but I need some help in narrowing it down to just one to submit.

I redid the door thing much better, with several color variations.

th_door3yellow.jpg th_door3redDesat.jpg th_door3blue.jpg th_door3red.jpg

The Broken road one is here with some alterations to it as well.

th_brokenroadblue.jpg

Keeping in mind that I need a better tagline,

Which one would make you want to see the film most?

I like the gold one best too. I kinda like the "welcome home" tagline as well. But I don't know anything about Silent Hill so it might be totally inappropriate. :)

This was a fun contest, I wish I could participate! I made one anyway, just for the hell of it. Turned out more like some bizarre modern piece of art ala Stanley Donwood than a movie poster though :)

artsy

and a variation

After looking through the photos, I think they should go with this one myself. Not so much horror but it's got a great deserted/spooky feel.

Is it a contest to get as much feedback as possible and tweak your original concepts to suit the desires of others? Or instead a contest to show what you can do on your own, creating an original, unique poster that you can call your own rather than a hodgepodge of everyone else's desires? I dunno, just seems weird to show the world what you're creating and ask for feedback. Most contests I've seen are such that you create something on your own, submit it as your own and hope you win. Otherwise, if you win this contest, does everyone who contributed to the idea get a piece of the pie?

I reckon just a picture of one of the dodgy hallways would be good. Simple, creepy, and a WTF factor. That is what the games are all about after all.

Implement this and win, and you've just won from someone else's idea. Thus, it goes back to my original point of wondering if it's normal, or the best thing, to involve others in what I feel should be an entry created by you alone (the artist). It's your eye that should determine what is best before submitting; not everyone else's. Otherwise, what show of talent is there if you tweak something or pick something just because others said you should?

Just thoughts...

Is it a contest to get as much feedback as possible and tweak your original concepts to suit the desires of others? Or instead a contest to show what you can do on your own, creating an original, unique poster that you can call your own rather than a hodgepodge of everyone else's desires? I dunno, just seems weird to show the world what you're creating and ask for feedback. Most contests I've seen are such that you create something on your own, submit it as your own and hope you win. Otherwise, if you win this contest, does everyone who contributed to the idea get a piece of the pie?

No, I agree, the reason I'm posting my designs here is two-fold,

One, to get feedback to improve them, and Two, to get a look at what ones would make people want to see the film. (Though few if anyone has actually given me anything in the latter category)

I'm not doing a completely different design because others don't like mine, but it never hurts if I can improve one. :)

I've got two final versions now, one of the door, one of the broken road. I'm going to ask around my friends and family to see what they think on them, then pick one to submit. I'll post them here after they're submitted.