The Dark Mod Forums

My Mansion Loot

god_is_my_goldfish

And I'm saying a higher loot requirement doesn't add extra challenge, it just adds more of the same challenge, which gets borng after a certain amount of time.

For example, a hallway with 12 rooms on it and one guard patrolling up and down. If you have to search every single room to make sure you haven't missed any loot, then you have to avoid that same guard many times while going from room to room, but since you would have worked out his patrol method and timings by the time you'd entered the first room, the other 11 times it's just a tedious waiting game *yawn* with no risk at all.

IF we did have genuinely unpredictable AI, then yes, having to get all the loot would add extra challenge, becasue on all those other 11 room trips you'd have to watch him anew again to see if he's going to do something different, and the risk is greater - but we haven't got AI like that, we have repeating AI.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- but we haven't got AI like that, we have repeating AI.

We don't have AI at all yet, but random patrol routes are something we're definately going to have to work on. They were possible in T1,2 and in three from what I've read in the T3Editing forum. Just takes more work to incorporate them.

We should pay close attention to how they are handled in T3. You can setup multiple routes, give different difficulty settings more or less routes and give each route higher or lower priority, depending on the FM authors wishes. All AI are going to repeat to some degree but that can be made less obvious in Dark Mod I believe.

We already know D3 can handle random guard patrols, so implementing those is a must. We should also, as Ish said, include some randomness to the AI's actions while on those patrols. Stopping occasionally, looking around randomly, turning to face sounds rather than just stopping, etc. That will go a long way towards solving the "blackjacking is too easy" arguments.

That's also my opinion. I always said, instead of imposing arbitrary limitations, we should make the gameplay more interesting. And we already agreed to implement AI which can do random actions to some extent and use stuff, like sitting down on stools, etc. to make the appear more lively.

Gerhard

I was only musing/poking fun at the fact that some think that their preferences should be mandatory, while their anti-preferences should be made optional, but that same consideration is not extended to others. B)

Random patrol routes are very do-able, (and quite cool) in T3. They should definitely be a feature in TDM.