Which Concept Do You Prefer?

Springheel

Which Concept for Loading Screen  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Concept?

• Option #1 (forest/clock/city)
    • Option #2 (gears/pendulum)
    • Don't like either one

Ok, we're trying to settle which screen we want to use as a "loading" screen.

That means it will appear as the game first loads, and will also appear as the default 'mission loading' screen (though FM authors can replace the second one with their own content).

Neither of these concepts has been fully tweaked yet--there is a lot of flexibility about animated effects, position of the title, etc.

Option #1 is the forest vs city motif, with the clock in the center.

gui_loading1.jpg

Here is how it might look animated (though there was another option with glowing clock-numbers rotating which was also very cool).

Version 1 18megs

Option #2 is a gear and pendulum motif.

loader3.jpg

animation - Is the animated version.

I like the first one much better. I think the 2nd one has so much circular movement on it that it will make text hard to read. Plus I don't like the visuals of it nearly as much as the first one, in general.

Oops - just saw the poll, so have now voted. Comment is still valid b/c people may not think of the "hard to read" aspect of the 2nd one before voting.

You posted while I was struggling to get the poll to work. Go ahead and vote. :)

the 2nd one has so much circular movement on it that it will make text hard to read

I'm not sure what text you're thinking of, but just to be (ridiculously) clear, this is the loading screen, not a menu screen.

I disagree with the design that both startup (game) and loading (mission) have to share the same art. Doom3 starts up with the logo and hellknight, then mars, then finally, missions load with a teaser image.

My OMG COMPLEX vote, not reflected in the options, is:

1. that the moody, dark clock over tree/city be the startup screen. The why:

It is more showy, fancy and artistic. It's a good splash for the user to look at as the game is starting up (it's just a shame that doesn't take very long). The clock is good here, because the time doesn't really matter - so it can tick real seconds, ominously. The user just has to wait, and it always takes the same amount of time anyway, so they'll know what to expect.

and,

2. the gears as the default mission load. The why:

The gears are more simplistic, and to a point. They won't distract the player from thoughts of the mission (if on a reload). The screen is hypnotic, dramatic, focused - driving forward, making progress - action. That, I think, goes perfect with mission loading progress. (*cough* piston progress meter *cough).

This is rooted in them being different though - two screens for two purposes. The gears are no good for startup - too plain; but they're better for mission load - focused and tension-building.

That said, to throw things completely off, I also liked the tree/city screen (sans the clock) as a menu item.

Thanks for being rediculously clear; it never hurts to be rediculous. I still like the first, on artistic merit and the cool vibe it gives off.

I don't like the bas relief effect, or whatever it's called, of the 2nd one. It seems to 'easy-Photoshop-effect'-ish.

Dom I agree with you. Artisitically speaking I like the first concept better, with the exception of the fast swinging thing in the clock. IMO it's a bit to fast and nervous.

The second animation is much smoother and not so hectic overall.

We can also randomly choose between the two on loading missions. I would prefer this anyway, because I would love to see the first one as well. :)

Conceptually I think the two go together quite fine.

Gerhard

I also say there is no reason to choose between them, one can be used for startup and one for misison loading.

THe clock one will need to be changed a lot though, since the shiny detailed 3d metal really does not fit with the dark muddy surroundings. It's bad design. THe clock will have to be toned down and simplfied.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I actually like the contrast of the brass parts with the rest, and agree with the idea of making this the start-up while the more toned down one would better fit for the loading screen.

Consider, if we're making everything the same hue we end up with Quake 1-everything-is-brown-age. That's bad, imo.

I'd like to see the nature vs. machines theme a bit more emphasized, fancy a bit lichen on the second example.

I have no problem with using two different loading screens if that's what people want to do.

I also appreciate the contrast of the brighter clock. We will have to redesign it, though I recognize most of the images there from google searches for 'clockwork' I did a while ago.

Sorry, I didn't mean to use them both as mission loading screens. The clock would be the game loading screen, and the gears would be the mission loading screen.

Yes we do. There's a huge thread about it about two messages below this one.

• 2 weeks later...