The Dark Mod Forums

Converting The Meshes To Edit Them

Domarius

I'd say there's every chance we have them, even without checking. I'm about to leave the house right now so I can't check yet.

Crap, I can't install Maya. Even though I'm installing to D:, it wants 500mb on C:, which I don't have, Fucked up installation if you ask me. Not sure what I'm going to do about this. In the worst case it will require a re-partition and re-format, and then bloat my system image file by 500mb, the retards...

Can anyone think of a work around? I want to re-direct whatever it wants on C:, to be on D:. Can I fool it somehow? Obviously I can't use drive management, since you can't change the system drive.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not even going to bother getting it then, if it's going to be one of those kinds of installs. I hate that kind of inept design bullshit. They get away with stuff like that because there isn't much in the way of competition or innovation in these gigantic, established, limited-audience applications. No need to do it right if there's no one else forcing them to improve.

Crap, I can't install Maya. Even though I'm installing to D:, it wants 500mb on C:, which I don't have, Fucked up installation if you ask me. Not sure what I'm going to do about this. In the worst case it will require a re-partition and re-format, and then bloat my system image file by 500mb, the retards...

Instead of repartitioning, you can simply point your TMP and TEMP environment variables to a different directory and it will work.

Gerhard

I'm not even going to bother getting it then, if it's going to be one of those kinds of installs. I hate that kind of inept design bullshit.

It's not an inept design, it's an inept system configuration. I never point my TMP variable to C because C is reserved for system files only. TMP stuff does not count as system stuff.

Gerhard

So wait.. it doesn't require C: at all, just temp space somewhere you can specify? I haven't tried the install, I was going on what was said. The original post said nothing about temp files, only that space was needed. Some inept program designs do in fact require space on the windows drive, because they dump shit into the system directories, as I'm sure you know.

Edit: nm, I see your reply above.

I was testing the character meshes on CVS, and when I tried to add a revenant and a prelate to a map, all I got was an empty box. Hauntcity still works, so the models must be there somewhere, but how do I access them?

@Dram - Yeah I already have removed my swap file from C: when I set up my computer. I have one on each of my other drives instead. C: is a 5gig partition which I keep an image of, so that I can dump the image back with all my installed programs etc. intact, before any shit off the net or any dodgey programs got to it. At the moment its full of a lot of temporary shit that will dissapear when I dump the image back. I have 2 gig free when I do that.

@Spar - Thanks for the tip. But as Sneaksie said, "The original post said nothing about temp files". It wants its "crucial program files" on C: as far as I can tell, the fucking retards...

There is no reason for this. None. It's inept design, plain and simple, no argument. All it does is render pretty pictures, its not like its some system critical app.

It probably has something to do with copy protection actually.

I'll post my progress in the maya thread.

It has nothing to do with copy protection. Obviously programs need TMP space, to store temporary data. This is GOOD design, because you know you can delete this content. So if your installer extracts o the TMP directory it is your problem, if it is on C because it shouldn't be there. Maybe it was bad from the installer to give you a wrong number. I haven't seen any such number when I installed, so it did not matter for me, but this is a different issue. If it would have said it requires 1G, would you have known what to do?

Gerhard

Noo. You'll have to read my post in the leigonary thread.

It's not to do with temporary files, its not to do with installation. These are permanently resident program files found here no matter where you specify the installation directory. Try it if you don't believe me.

C:\Program Files\Alias

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Alias Shared

C:\Program Files\GLOBEtrotter Software Inc

It's my suspicion it's got to do with copy protection, since this requires devious behaviour. There's no other really good reason I can think of why a program would want a specific hard coded directiory all to itself.

And of course you didn't see such a number - it only appears if you dont' have that space on C:.

I know all this because I care about what goes on my C: beacuse I don't want things fucking up.

I checked out the .mb files, and I can see the meshes in maya, and I can see the textures as pictures in the folder, but

I don't know how to re-direct the materials to point to the texture files.

I don't know how to view any rigging and play with it to see if its bending and weighted properly.

Anyone know how to use Maya?

lol.

yeah it's very useful for making adjustments to models and importing md5s

Thanks, care to help me out with my problems I posted there?

@dom change the view to x-ray and you should be able to see the bones. Then you can select them and try to rotate them. you can also check the hierarchy in the hypergraph window - press space and select window/hypergraph...

How do I change the view to x-ray?

I did the hypergraph view, and there are 3 grey boxes (camera views I assume, judging by their names) and one yellow one called "object0". I right clicked on it and selected "Expand" and nothing happened. If this is supposed to be a tree view that shows the heirachy of connected bones, then this doens't look good... looks like there are no bones.

Can you help me out with getting the textures to show up too?

I changed the view to smooth shaded and it's just showing up grey with no textures. Either I can't find the option to make textures visible, or the paths for the textures are incorrect (highly likely) and I do'nt know how to change them.

Also when I render I get a black screen, even though "Use default lighting" is checked. I tried adding a light but not sure if I did it right.

Also I don't know how to move around.

I'd look up some tutorials but I've run out of "DarkMod" time for the week and really have to get this assignment done. I was hoping for some qiuck answers here.

Thanks, care to help me out with my problems I posted there?

Sure. Err..what questions were those again?

I know how to use that thing inside out so if you need to know how to do this or that then pop me a line and I'll help. This is about milkshape of course - I don't have maya yet, nor am i in any rush to learn it.

Thanks man, that's really good to know... any chance of me getting some help?

How do I change the view to x-ray?

I did the hypergraph view, and there are 3 grey boxes (camera views I assume, judging by their names) and one yellow one called "object0". I right clicked on it and selected "Expand" and nothing happened. If this is supposed to be a tree view that shows the heirachy of connected bones, then this doens't look good... looks like there are no bones.

Can you help me out with getting the textures to show up too?

I changed the view to smooth shaded and it's just showing up grey with no textures. Either I can't find the option to make textures visible, or the paths for the textures are incorrect (highly likely) and I do'nt know how to change them.

Also when I render I get a black screen, even though "Use default lighting" is checked. I tried adding a light but not sure if I did it right.

Also I don't know how to move around.

I'd look up some tutorials but I've run out of "DarkMod" time for the week and really have to get this assignment done. I was hoping for some qiuck answers here.

xray:

at the top left of your perspective window: shading/x-ray

if there are no "joint" boxes in the hypergraph then there're no bones I guess...

regarding the textures:

you have to enable hardware texturing in the shading menu and to change the path to your texture image just open the hypershade window (window/rendering editors/hypershade). there all materials are listed - select one and a menu on the right should open, there you can change the path to the texture file.

I checked out the .mb files, and I can see the meshes in maya, and I can see the textures as pictures in the folder, but

I don't know how to re-direct the materials to point to the texture files.

I don't know how to view any rigging and play with it to see if its bending and weighted properly.

Anyone know how to use Maya?

I have download about 20 to 40 CDs of Maya video tutorials, including character rigging and animation. :) They are quite old as they were for Maya 5, but I think it should still work. Now if you tell me a place where I can conveniently upload them ...

I was quite fluent with Maya a few years ago, but then I switched to Blender, and didn't do anything with it anymore. Yesterday, when I installed Maya again, I noticed that I have forgotten most stuff. :|

Gerhard

@Dram - Ahhh I see - sorry, I used to have a post there saying "Yoink! Don't know how I missed that" and quoting your link to Milkshape. But I edited it straight away and changed it to the one you see now, where I'm asking for help with Maya. You're replying to the old one, I thought you were replying to the new one.

I think I should hesitate more before posting.

@BlackThief - Thanks! I got the priest all textured, we can safely say we have the Priest and the Prelate. I don't think the bones were ever done. So that's something we'll have to do ourselves.

spar don't want to bug you again, but while you're at it. maya 5 would be nice, since it seems to work best with d3. I gave it up with 7, since I spent now almost 5 hours trying to get the shit into d3....

Are you saying I downloaded Maya 7 for nothing? :(

Also, I'm going to need a new modeller to work with me. Are you able to rig the characters, then export them to .fbx for me to download (with the accompanying texture files) and then re-import my animated .fbx and get it into Doom 3?

spar don't want to bug you again, but while you're at it. maya 5 would be nice, since it seems to work best with d3. I gave it up with 7, since I spent now almost 5 hours trying to get the shit into d3....

I must look if I have still the discs around. After all, it's several years that Maya 5 came out. I take a look.

Gerhard

@ dom are the normalmaps included? otherwise it won't help much, since it'd be almost impossible to recreate the normalmaps without the highres model.

I just learned the very basics of rigging last night, so yes I hope I'll be able rig characters and get them ingame soon...I just need an older version of maya

@ spar don't really get what you mean? do you already have maya 5 on a disc or what?

I just checked my discs. It's Maya 4 that I have, not 5. If that helps I can send it to you. It's 3 discs for the installation. I also have 36 video tutorials for Maya 4, which include all kind of stuff like character modelling, riggin, texturing, rendering, deformers, etc.

I also found 7 CDs of professional textures, as well as more then 100 3D models, where at least part of them are suitable for us. The disadvantage is, that they may be recognized, so I'm not sure if we really should use them.

Gerhard

@Dram - Ahhh I see - sorry, I used to have a post there saying "Yoink! Don't know how I missed that" and quoting your link to Milkshape. But I edited it straight away and changed it to the one you see now, where I'm asking for help with Maya. You're replying to the old one, I thought you were replying to the new one.

I think I should hesitate more before posting.

Yes I did wonder where it went lol

Oh no... normal maps... the only other thing I can see is a sub folder called .mayaSwatches, and it has

builder_priest.mb.swatches

and then a .swatch file for each of the jpg textures.

What are those?

If they are not it, then I guess someone will have to take the low res mesh and add detail to make a high poly version...

I guess oDDity never needed to upload the hi-res versions of anything.

With the rigging, you should take much care to get the objects bending in the best way possible at the joints, since oDDity knew how to best structure the meshes to bend well in the right places. So you should make the most of it.