The Dark Mod Forums

Angle Of The Bow When Firing.

New Horizon

The angle of the bow obstructs the players aim. It was something we asked oDDity to fix, but he refused to do so because he felt 'hindering the players view' would be a good gameplay element. Check out the Prey gameplay video, their bow is at a good angle for gameplay purposes. It's especially important the Dark Mod players be able to see what they're aiming at, since we're not giving them any type of aiming device, they are required to use the tip of the arrow.

Can we fix this without destroying what has been done already? Is it possible to angle the bow as it is being pulled back, without have to remake all the animations?

I can find out, show me some files I can edit. And a link to that gameplay video, to be sure I download the right one.

Using the original file, it shouldn't be too hard at all. Possibly even a minute's work in the best case. Worst case probably 30 mins. (Just animating time, not including any other faffing around with files etc)

If I have to go off some file that's been converted from the final game animation, it'll proably require re-animating from scratch, which will take 1 or 2 hours.

I think we should re-angle it to how T1/2 had it because it was the nicest imo, but thats just me. You could also check out the oblivion one - it was angled much like in thief, except the sneak attack.

If we were to use something similar, we could have that the bow is sideways when crouching (cos legs get in the way etc) and upright when standing.

I'm expecting a million flames my way now lol....

While we're at it, we could speed up the lowering of the bow after firing a tad as well, so that it's easier to track where the arrow goes. T2 had it lower a tad unrealistically fast, but it worked well to be able to follow through shots and watch the arrow.

I wouldn't mind seeing that in action, Dram.

While we're at it, we could speed up the lowering of the bow after firing a tad as well, so that it's easier to track where the arrow goes.

I agree. You can't really enjoy the full glory of the fire arrows because of the view obstructions.

So do you like my idea? *gets his hopes up*

Not exactly as stated. :) The T2 bow had sights, and I'm not sure the T2 angle would work as well if you're sighting along the arrow. I agree there should be a different angle though that allows you to sight under the hand a bit for the arced shots.

We've been over the bow angle endlessly. It's going to stay angled unless there's an important reason to change it. :)

I agree with Ish that the dropping could be sped up, however.

@Dram: In both of those Oblivion shots you posted, it seems to be aiming at an arbitrary crosshair position, not the tip of the arrow. So they can afford to move everything over from the point you're actually aiming at, because they have a crosshair, and T2 could do it because they had sights. On the other hand, we're using the tip of the arrow to sight, so translating the whole bow off-center like that doesn't really work for us.

@Dom:

Just go to the main site, www.prey.com, there is a video that plays on the front page. I'm really not sure what files would be required to change it on our end...I'm assuming we would have to reopen oDDitys player arms and possibley reanimate them...unless there is someway to do it from the .def files by simply having the bow arm rotated a bit. Not sure.

Fair enough. Well it does'nt concern me tooo much anyways, just as long as I can see wtf is going on behind my bow hand lol.

I was stuffing around with the model a while back (trying to get a sight on it hehe) and noticed that because the model is legible text you could remove parts of the model, change materials etc without opening it in a model editor. I actually removed the arrow from the model at one point to see what it was like. Funnily enough it was easier to aim, but anyways.

I think we should probably remove that arrow from there and have a floating lwo instead which moves in relation to the string - that way you could make interchangeable arrows easily - of course, you'd have to code in the arrow so it stays floating there.