The Dark Mod Forums

Mission Failed Concept

Springheel

@Gild:

Okay, I don't want to mess with your process, do whatever you think is best, as long as people commenting on it understand that the one they see ingame when they die/fail is not the latest version. I tried to keep only the essential buttons in restart.gui when I merged in your design, but later I noticed that extra stuff you were talking about. I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to GUIs. :)

About using the testgui to display guis, is there a way to make the console take up less of the screen? I tried that but because the console was halfway across the screen, I couldn't make it go away fast enough to get the fullscreen GUI effect when the skull comes in. I know I've gotten the console to take up less space on the screen accidentally, but don't know how to do it on purpose.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange to me that you need to close the console... here's what happens when I do it:

The first time I load up the gui, it immediately closes the console. Subsequent times I end up needing to re-save the file to update the timestamp, and then type "reloadguis". To make the console go up/down quicker, you can try "con_speed 0" (the default is "con_speed 3").

Not if they type "testgui guis/mission_failed.gui" at the console

Where do we get ahold of the mission_failed.gui?

It's actually called mission_failure I think, should be on CVS. @Napalm: There is one ingame that has the old D3 load/restart/main menu buttons, but it's using an older version of the gui. You have to use the testgui command in the console to see the latest version.

Finally got a chance to check out the latest version.

When you say "swirling", do you mean more like the D3 creepy textures? When I hear "swirl", I think of something spinning. I'll try doing what you've described.

Yeah, I mean more like the subtle smokey effect in the current D3 death screen. Right now the 'swirls' you added look like tumbleweeds bouncing around the screen. ;)

The chains are more subtle now, and look better. I still can't decide if I like them in motion or not...I'd probably have to see it with the text to be sure.

BTW, I've uploaded a new version of the text to guis/failedtext.tga. It's Carleton, and a little less flashy.

Also, the skull doesn't seem any faster to me in this version...?

Are we planning to have this screen stay put until the player hits a key, and then go to the main menu? I think it might be better if it just played quickly (say 5 seconds) and then automatically went to the main menu.

Is there going to be a separate "death menu" aside from the GUI movie? I guess the only benefit would be to include an option to "replay mission" option that takes you back to the pre-mission equipment screen. Otherwise you could only buy the mission equipment once after you completed the last mission and you'd be stuck with it. :) I can't remember exactly, but I think that's why T1/2 had that option. Also I think it listed mission stats up 'till death, but that's not too big a deal IMO.

Hmm, good points. Maybe we should do what D3 does, and put the options right onto the death GUI itself? We'd only need three--Replay Mission, Main Menu, and Mission Statistics.

That would probably require getting rid of the "Mission Failed" text, but that isn't really necessary anyway. Perhaps something like this:

failurescreen2.jpg

So are we close to replacing the old restart.gui with Gildoran's version? It seems like all we need to do to get it up to speed as a working menu is to put in the font Springheel used (which we probably already have on file) for the text option menu, and put in a dummy link for now to mission stats?

So are we close to replacing the old restart.gui with Gildoran's version? It seems like all we need to do to get it up to speed as a working menu is to put in the font Springheel used (which we probably already have on file) for the text option menu, and put in a dummy link for now to mission stats?

Yup, Carleton font is already on CVS. We should be able to swap it in at any time I believe. :)

So are we close to replacing the old restart.gui with Gildoran's version?

Well, Gil still has to sort out the 'swirly smoke' effect and decide about the chains, but I think that's it.

If we're going to have menu options right on the page, then we don't have to time it anymore.

Try the Carleton that we have already...mine was in bold, so if the regular font doesn't show up well enough I can always upload them as .tga files.

Is our plan to include this with the next Alpha release this weekend? I think we should go ahead and do it if possible--it seems like the only difficult thing remaining is the 'smoke' effect.

It should already be called in the code, we just have to make sure we get the button functionality in (so players can actually do something when they die) and then rename it to restart.gui since D3 is apparently hardcoded in the code we don't have to call that one.

We should put a functional Main Menu button in certainly. I don't think the Mission Stat gui will be done by the weekend, so maybe we should leave that button disabled for now.

Yeah that's fine, as long as we have restart and main menu it should be good enough for testing. Also @Gildoran, did you figure out how to reset the skull so it comes out every time instead of staying static after the first time you play the gui? This may have only happened when you restart the same mission but still should be fixed eventually.

Okay. Later on (not necessarily before the release), I'll probably need your help getting the mission success GUI to load as well. We have to shutdown the map and load the GUI somehow. It's tricky because some of the map shutdown seems to be handled outside the SDK.

It looks like your GUI overlay code relies on there being a player, right? That means we may not be able to call it after the map is shut down and the player object gets destroyed. I guess what we could do is pause the game (stop time and immobilize the player?) then overlay the mission complete GUI, and only shutdown the map when they load a new map (by choosing "continue") or exit to the main menu.