The Dark Mod Forums

Original D3 Models

BlackThief

Last night after I read the "modelling crisis"-thread I thought about, how to get some models done faster. So I looked for some original D3 models, which we could use with only a few tweaks and of course new skins. For example the boney-zombie (that's the one without clothes). It looks already similar to the original T1 zombies - we would just need a new skin for him.

Then the fat-zombie - you remember the fat cook in the first T3 level ? I think the zombie-model would be already great for a fat civilian (like a cook). All we'd need to do is adding shoes and a new skin/normal map. This way we'd already have 2 AIs. After that we could tweak the fat zombie again and make for example a fat aristocrat (?).

(of course we'd need new animations for the civilians)

What do you think ?

Edited by BlackThief

:P We've been planning on using the zombies since forever.

As far as using them for civilians, I don't know. I think we will want all of our human AI to have a consistent look and feel to them. It's something to consider though.

Edited by Springheel

We've been planning on using the zombies since forever.

I knew that ;) Just wanted to mention it again.

Do you still want to work on the zombie skin, or shall I try it ?

I think we will want all of our human AI to have a consistent look and feel to them. It's something to consider though.

of course they have to be tweaked a bit, but we could use them at least for the first release.

BTW I can't find the md5 files of D3 - any clue, where I can find them ?

edit: nevermind - I found em.

Edited by BlackThief

Do you still want to work on the zombie skin, or shall I try it ?

Well, when I open the zombie .dds files, I get this:

zombieskin1.jpg

I don't understand what the significance is of the repeating-into-infinity images. I also have a hard time telling what image belongs to what body part. I think I'm going to focus on the skybox for now, so if you'd like to tackle this, feel free.

Edited by Springheel

Would probably be best to open the dds file in DXTbmp first and then use the function to open it in your editor of choice. That way you won't get the Mip Maps going into infinity. I don't understand what that is for myself, but I'm sure it serves a purpose.

Edited by New Horizon

I don't understand what the significance is of the repeating-into-infinity images.

Isn't it obvious? This is for LOD. Level Of Detail. When the object is farther away you don't need so much details. If you calculate this automatically then it might look queer because the computer doesn't know about it. Providing these images will ensure that a character looks good no matter if he is far away or near.

Gerhard

Looks very cool to me. Is that the actual model?

<laugh> Looks like the body is mirrored also...he appears to have stigmata. :)

That's a pain in the ass, especially for zombies, who need lots of mucking up.

Edited by Springheel