Thief Character Re-sized, And Demo Of New Data Structure

Domarius

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I already said I tried creating an entitydef for it and it still didn't work. There's something off somewhere.

It doesn't make it any easier to figure out when there are now two different theif.def files. One is tdm_ai_thief.def, which has all the material info that should be there. The other one is tdm_thief.def, which has no entity information whatsoever.

After updating it works even less than before. Now I just get a black box.

edit: Well, I think I see the problem. The animations and model have been put in the models/chars folder instead of the models/md5/chars folder, which is where the def file correctly points.

edit: I'll fix it on CVS.

edit: Hmm, can't tell whether it was successfully fixed on CVS or not, as it didn't register as a new location for the files. You may have to move it manually if it didn't work.

I consider this all an annoying use of my time. :angry:

Just noticed that there is a high poly version of the Thief jacket in there....jacket_high.lwo, that needs to be reduced to something manageable, currently it's two megs in size. The textures for the Thief also need to be reduced to our current standards, the majority of them are 4 megs in size.

I finally got the thief working. It appears to be the right size, but shouldn't the feet be placed directly on top of the origin, the way the elite model is? Otherwise the character will be floating off the ground, won't he?

origin.jpg

I finally got the thief working. It appears to be the right size, but shouldn't the feet be placed directly on top of the origin, the way the elite model is? Otherwise the character will be floating off the ground, won't he?

Yup, he needs to line up with the origin point...otherwise he won't be properly grounded.

For some reason everyone is assuming the worst of me instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Let's start from the top.

Why do you assume that, if it doesn't work on your machine, it should work on another?

Why do you assume that, I would tell someone to check it out to see that it works, if I didn't already see it working on my machine? Did I say "Well it's not working on my machine, see if it works on yours." No. I said "try now, he should be an entity" etc. obviously I've changed something. Your comment shows how little you think of me. Thanks.

It doesn't make it any easier to figure out when there are now two different theif.def files. One is tdm_ai_thief.def, which has all the material info that should be there. The other one is tdm_thief.def, which has no entity information whatsoever.

This isn't my fault!! There is NO tdm_thief.def on my computer!! This is a bug with CVS - check here where I already asked about it and tried to solve it.

I'm sorry but this bug is on CVS and external to me, there isn't a thing I can do about it.

After updating it works even less than before. Now I just get a black box.

edit: Well, I think I see the problem. The animations and model have been put in the models/chars folder instead of the models/md5/chars folder, which is where the def file correctly points.

edit: I'll fix it on CVS.

edit: Hmm, can't tell whether it was successfully fixed on CVS or not, as it didn't register as a new location for the files. You may have to move it manually if it didn't work.

I don't know what to tell you. The files ARE in models/md5/chars/thief on my computer, and I did commit them, and I DID remove the ones from models/chars/thief from CVS. And it works in the editor, and in the game. I confirmed it. Try synching again I guess.

Don't beleive me? This is what happens in Tortoise CVS when I click "Commit" on the models/md5/chars/thief folder.

post-10-1160260563_thumb.jpg

So if the files actually aren't on CVS - I can't do a thing about. CVS is telling me the ARE there, so if they aren't, it's a bug with CVS.

Wow, what a surprise, there's a problem with CVS...

I swear he was on the ground in Maya. Ah I see now - he IS on the ground in Maya, but because I resized manually (and this was before I was aware of the origin bone when I did it), the origin bone has been moved down somehow during the scaling. I can easily fix this. Of course doing it in Maya is the long, hard way, but this was before I knew about the Def file setting.

I consider this all an annoying use of my time. :angry:

You didn't have to try to fix it. You might feel :angry: but you have no idea how I feel after spending ages getting this right, sacrificing my social life to get this done around uni work and my day job, CONFIRMING it works on my machine, and then having people assume I'm an idiot when something goes wrong.

This isn't my fault!! There is NO tdm_thief.def on my computer!! This is a bug with CVS - check here where I already asked about it and tried to solve it.

I'm sorry but this bug is on CVS and external to me, there isn't a thing I can do about it.

I don't know what to tell you. The files ARE in models/md5/chars/thief on my computer, and I did commit them, and I DID remove the ones from models/chars/thief from CVS. And it works in the editor, and in the game. I confirmed it. Try synching again I guess.

That's just plain weird, because I synced up with CVS and all the files are in models/chars for me as well and not in models/md5. How often do you sync with CVS? To me it seems like something that might happen if local CVS repository gets too out of date at some point, and then all hell breaks loose or something. Are you still on dial up Dom? If you are, then nuking your darkmod folder and starting fresh isn't an option. I usually do a fresh Checkout every two months or so...just to keep things clean.

:) I feel your pain, but you seem to have had the absolute worst luck with CVS from the very beginning. Once I messed around with it for a bit, it was fine and now that I use Tortoise CVS...life is a dream. I just don't know why you have had so many problems with it. It's like it's allergic to you or something. ;)

• I'm on cable internet.
  • I'm using Tortoise CVS.
  • Every time I update, I right click on the darkmod folder and click update.
  • Every time I commit, I right click on the darkmod folder and click commit, and double check the file list to make sure nothing that shouldn't be there is there.

Is there anything else I could possibly do better?

And Spar, I'm willing to work out what's wrong, but I will be extremely offended if you assume it's user error just because there is no explanation at the time. There has to be a reason.

I could be wrong about this, but I often found that when I only used 'update'...it didn't always download all the files...only updated existing files. I usually just right click on the doom3 folder and choose CVS Checkout. Even if that's not the case and I'm wrong, I think it's usually good to do a full checkout at least once a day.

But it has been downloading new files, I've seen them come through in the log, and if they weren't, then I wouldn't have things like snow, and the new texture layout, etc. which have required new files.

But my problem is about me uploading files and CVS not actually getting them but saying it did.

I'll do the checkout feature in a short while, after I commit the adjusted Thief mesh.

Yup, and I would even suggest nuking the whole darkmod directory...right clicking on doom3 and doing a full checkout while you sleep tonight. That way, any glitches between you and CVS should be eliminated and you'll see what everyone else is seeing. A discrepancy must have developed between your system and the repository somehow.

This isn't my fault!! There is NO tdm_thief.def on my computer!!

I never said it was your fault. All I said is it makes it harder to figure out the problem.

I don't know what to tell you. The files ARE in models/md5/chars/thief on my computer, and I did commit them,

Well, it's quite strange that it isn't being downloaded that way for people.

Was this model manually resized or with ascottk's resize option? Might be a side effect of the resize option.

Gerhard

Why do you assume that, I would tell someone to check it out to see that it works, if I didn't already see it working on my machine? Did I say "Well it's not working on my machine, see if it works on yours." No. I said "try now, he should be an entity" etc. obviously I've changed something. Your comment shows how little you think of me. Thanks.

You said that you haven't seen this option or at least that was my understanding from it, so I wondered how you could have tested it, if you didn't even have known about it before.

It's certainly not a bug from CVS.

Don't beleive me? This is what happens in Tortoise CVS when I click "Commit" on the models/md5/chars/thief folder.

post-10-1160260563_thumb.jpg

So if the files actually aren't on CVS - I can't do a thing about. CVS is telling me the ARE there, so if they aren't, it's a bug with CVS.

You might remove your local copy, check it out again, and apply teh changes that you did. I'm sure it would work then.

Actually most problems I have seen so far with CVS are not because CVS is buggy, but because it is not properly used. I use at the same as everybody else, but I haven't seen any problems so far.

Gerhard

And Spar, I'm willing to work out what's wrong, but I will be extremely offended if you assume it's user error just because there is no explanation at the time. There has to be a reason.

I don't know what the problem is, since I don't see how you work with it. If you work as you just listed, then everything should be fine. Do you move around the repository a lot? Copying it between two computers or such? That can easily break it, and in that case you must make sure that you first sync, then make a diff to your local copy and then apply it to the repository version and commit it.

Gerhard

I could be wrong about this, but I often found that when I only used 'update'...it didn't always download all the files...only updated existing files. I usually just right click on the doom3 folder and choose CVS Checkout. Even if that's not the case and I'm wrong, I think it's usually good to do a full checkout at least once a day.

There is an option that says to create new folders if they don't exist. And another option that says to delete stuff that is no longer in the repository.

Gerhard

But my problem is about me uploading files and CVS not actually getting them but saying it did.

I'll do the checkout feature in a short while, after I commit the adjusted Thief mesh.

If you get a confirmation mail, then you can be pretty sure that it was uploaded. The confirmation is ONLY sent if the commitment was successfull.

Gerhard