The Dark Mod Forums

Using D3 Heads

Springheel

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with a def file :( I tried it like this:

model head_young2 {
mesh							models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h2.md5mesh
	modelOffset						 0 0 -7
channel eyelids					( Ruplid Rlolid Luplid Llolid )

anim idle						models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h2idle.md5anim
anim stand						models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h2idle.md5anim
anim blink						models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h2blink.md5anim
anim dead						models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h2death.md5anim
anim IPN_News						models/md5/heads/young/marscity/IPN_News.md5anim {
	frame 1							sound_voice sound/vo/video/video_ipn_news.wav								
}
}

I get a black box.

& this:

entityDef atdm:ai_citywatch_elite

{
"inherit"		"atdm:ai_humanoid"
"ragdoll"						"guard_base"
"model"							"tdm_ai_citywatch_elite"
"def_head"		 "head_young2"
	"modelOffset"						 "0 0 -7"
"head_joint"					"Head"
	. . .

and that one simply doesn't work.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"editor_var offsetModel" "Vector to offset the visual model from the movement bounding box."

I'm not sure it sounds exactly like what we want, since it sounds like it would leave the head's collision model in its original position.

These are the kinds of things that make me wonder if you're reading the thread before posting.

It's true, I don't pre-read as much as I should; its the limited time I'm trying to contrubute in, around uni and work. I figure its better to try to contribute something than nothing at all.

Have we looked at how much work it would be to modify our skeletons? I haven't done too much head movements in the animations, and motion builder makes it easy just to change that one body part anims without messing up the rest of the anim.

I think Black and Asian characters would look quite out of place in a medieval European based setting, except perhaps in very exotic roles like mages or foreign mercenaries.

If we're setting it up to use D3 heads, and if it's a matter of color adjustment on a hand texture, we might as well support them all. It's a tool kit; we don't dictate what people's FMs can be about.

Anyway, whatever, I was just saying something that came to mind.

If someone wants a non-standard skin texture for their FM then they can always do it themselves. :) Definitely not high priority, anyway.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I get a black box.

I don't know why you would get a black box. This should defintiely not cause a black box IMO.

& this:

entityDef atdm:ai_citywatch_elite

{
"inherit"		"atdm:ai_humanoid"
"ragdoll"						"guard_base"
"model"							"tdm_ai_citywatch_elite"
"def_head"		 "head_young2"
	"modelOffset"						 "0 0 -7"
"head_joint"					"Head"
	. . .

and that one simply doesn't work.

Of course this would not work. The modeloffset is for the head. What you did here was to put the model offset on the AI's body which would cause the body to be offset, if it were supported. I think the offset only works on heads anyway so in this case it would be ignored. Isn't there an entitydef for the head as well? Or was this the one where you get the black box? Maybe you get the black box, because this is a model definition and not an entity. But I don't think we can effect the parser as we don't have the code for this. I have to look if this part is also in the SDK. One other thing we might be able to do is, to put some code in the body spawnclass, and propagate the offset to the head when the body is spawned. That could work and wouldn't require a lot of coding, as the offset itself is already implemented anyway.

Gerhard

I'm not sure it sounds exactly like what we want, since it sounds like it would leave the head's collision model in its original position.

Did you check the collisionboxes? I haven't looked at this, because I only looked at the model, which worked fine with this.

Gerhard

You got the model to work with this? I haven't been able to yet. I get a black box just like Ascottk.

Did you check the collisionboxes?

I haven't been able to test it because it doesn't work for me yet. But I was looking through the editor variables in D3's npc.def file, and it listed modelOffset as moving the visual model but not the bounding box.

Isn't there an entitydef for the head as well?

I thought there would be, but apparently not. The heads are all defined as models only. I tried creating an entitydef for one to see if that worked, but I just got a black box with that method too.

I added the line:

// entity 2

{

"anim" "idle"

"classname" "atdm:ai_builder_guard"

"name" "atdm:ai_builder_guard_1"

"origin" "40 -112 0"

"angle" "90"

"def_head" "head_young"

"modelOffset" "0 0 -7"

}

But that still didn't seem to have any effect (head still floated in the air). Is that what you're doing?

Ah! Did I write this wrong? It's offsetModel not modelOffset. Sorry! :blush:

// entity 2
{
"anim" "idle"
"classname" "atdm:ai_builder_guard"
"name" "atdm:ai_builder_guard_1"
"origin" "40 -112 0"
"angle" "90"
"offsetModel"  "0 0 -7"
"def_head" "head_young"
}

Gerhard

Well that makes a big difference! ;)

A little fine-tuning needed, but that's quite good for a proof of concept!

head2.jpg

Now I'll try putting it right into the model definition and see what happens.

Hmm, no luck. When I try to add the following head:

model tdm_head_young_builder {

mesh models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h3.md5mesh

channel eyelids ( Ruplid Rlolid Luplid Llolid )

offsetModel 0 0 -7

anim idle models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h3idle.md5anim

anim stand models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h3idle.md5anim

anim blink models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h3blink.md5anim

anim dead models/md5/characters/npcs/heads/h3death.md5anim

}

I still get a black box.

I did some tests as well. It definitely doesn't work within the model definition, but it does work within the builders 'entity' def. Strange side effect though.

When I put offsetmodel 0 0 -7, in the entity def for the builder..the head did get properly readjusted onto the builders body, but then the builders feet also sank into the floor. Is there some way for us to alter the SDK to allow the offsetmodel command to work 'within' a model def? If the proper code was exposed, would it not be possible to copy that code into the area where model defs are handled?

"offsetHeadModel" "0 0 0"

It's already up on CVS, so you can download it.

I noticed a problem with this method though. The elite builder, that is in teh test_head.map works fine, but when the idle animation is playing and he turns his head sideways, then the head is not only rotated but also moved a bit. This causes it to clip through the armor. Quite noticeable when you stand right behind him and watch him with the torch to make him a bit brighter.

Also the idle anim seems to turn the head only to the right side. I watched it several minutes and it never turned left.

Gerhard