The Dark Mod Forums

Fish Shaking Anim

Domarius

Note this post is edited so posts made before the latest version may no longer be relevent. Scroll down to see where I posted the version number.

Version 3

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/movies/Do...s/ShakeFist.avi

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/movies/Do...eFistNoStep.avi

"Fish shaking." Hehe. That's the best typo I've seen all week! :D

Anyway, constructive criticism, in order of importance (most to least):

The fist is moving way too fast - it's whizzing back and forth like a jackhammer. Slow it down a bunch. Maybe three shakes a second or something like that would be better.

The left arm needs to move up and down during the shake (since he's shaking his left fist).

The body turn is also too fast.

I think the right arm moves back and up too far.

The head could do with moving a bit, just to make it look less stiff.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Argh - I pick on people's typos all the time, so you guys have every right to do the same to me, hehe... especially Fish Shaking, god damn... how did I miss that. I know there are puns coming.

Thanks for the feedback, I think those are all good ideas. I remembered something else I was going to do - increase the amount of shake gradually at the start, and decrease it towards the end. Right now its linear, it starts off and ends at exactlythe same amount of force.

And yeah I am going to move the fist up, then down, for the duration of the shake.

I agree with the rest except the speed of the turn. I'll give it a go and se how it looks, but I originally imagined a sharp movement.

i think the turn the turn of his body is ok... it's just the fist shaking like a mixer.

also like the small bounce back movement of his right arm when turning.

when making the fist movement you could add a small shaking to the body

you can also add a small step of his left leg to enforce his pose.

Okay I posted version 2. Note the edited post at the top.

God, I tell you what - I'm lucky I have Motion Builder!! If I only had one layer (a la Maya) and wanted to add that footstep when I had developed the anim this far already, I would have had to go and edit every single keyframe of the hip and the hands to shift them all forward for the footstep movement!! But with MotionBuilder, I just added a new layer, and created the footstep movements seperate on that, et voila, the guy steps forward WHILST shaking his fist! I love this app.

Okay I posted version 2. Note the edited post at the top.

God, I tell you what - I'm lucky I have Motion Builder!! If I only had one layer (a la Maya) and wanted to add that footstep when I had developed the anim this far already, I would have had to go and edit every single keyframe of the hip and the hands to shift them all forward for the footstep movement!! But with MotionBuilder, I just added a new layer, and created the footstep movements seperate on that, et voila, the guy steps forward WHILST shaking his fist! I love this app.

hehe cool very handy... well i've just got one week to go for my internship and then i'll probably give motionbuilder a try.

i think it looks more dynamic with the added footstep. I was also thinking, if you bend his upper body a bit forward he could look even more threatening, but i'll leave that up to you of course.

Yep, I think it looks pretty good. The shaking might be just a tad too fast still, but nothing serious.

Could you save a version with the step and without? The step looks appropriate for threatening the player, but one without the step could be used during conversations to show anger (will we be able to tie specific animations to specific conversations?)

The shake speed - there is a key frame on every frame, for the duration of the shake. I tried expanding the length, but it just got ... odd looking. Unless I evenly spaced them out one every 2nd frame, which was too slow, you noticed it stopping and starting, like a bad frame rate, didn't look right at all. Ahhh... if I turned off Frame snapping, it might interpolate it and look right...

But anyway, if you shake your fist viciously, it moves about that fast... Mine does. Maybe it just looks unnatural in the animation for some reason, not enough secondary movements.

Also - yeah I'll just disable the Step Forward layer - stepless version done :)

Tomorrow though.

Version 3, see post at top of thread.

Ah, I just went with slowing down the existing shake. Turning of frame snapping worked great!

And making the no-step one was as simple as disabling the "step forward" animation layer, like I said. :)

I exported them, now they're animations in CVS.

...man, they look so stiff in the game... I want to re-visit these in the future.

I exported them, now they're animations in CVS.

...man, they look so stiff in the game... I want to re-visit these in the future.

do you work with a kind of Curve/Graph editor in MB for your animations? If so check your animation curves. The curve editor is your friend ;) seriously. Getting smooth animations is all about controlling your curves.

Unfortunately the fbik rig in Maya sets linear curves when keyframing which i have to set manually to spline. That's one of the reasons why i don't like working with the fbik skeleton that much.

do you work with a kind of Curve/Graph editor in MB for your animations? If so check your animation curves. The curve editor is your friend ;) seriously. Getting smooth animations is all about controlling your curves.

Unfortunately the fbik rig in Maya sets linear curves when keyframing which i have to set manually to spline. That's one of the reasons why i don't like working with the fbik skeleton that much.

Well they look smooth enough to me in MB - it automatically curves the animations using bezier or something, that's what setting I left it on. It has a graph editor, but I only go to it if there's some serious wierd problems.

Maybe if that's lost somewhere in the conversion, that's the problem?

What do you guys think, do you think it looks smoother in the vids up there, than in the game right now?

In the Doom 3 console, type testModel tdm_ai_citywatch_elite, and then type nextanim till you see the fist shaking anim.