The Dark Mod Forums

Parrying Animation for Melee Combat

Ishtvan

Anyone else have a problem with changing it to combat_idle? Or perhaps even combat_ready?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else have a problem with changing it to combat_idle? Or perhaps even combat_ready?

I don't. :) Combat_idle sounds like something a Zen Monk[tm] might do - you know, just moving his arm ever so slightly to the left, crushing the skull of an attacker en passant...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Another reason why we might want to rename it is that we actually will need a version of the "idle" animation with the weapon out, for AI that have returned to their guard stations after being fully alerted.

Perhaps we should name this one "combat_ready" and the other one "idle_alert".

Well "combat" is too generic. I think it needs to be sword because that's what the animation is doing - holding a sword. The hammer's combat idle, or the tree beast combat idle, are going to be very different from each other and not interchangeable.

Plus there is already a list of idle_* anims for the AI, eg idle_torch.

Check SVN, the citywatch now has 8 new anims;

attack_left

attack_right

attack_overhead

attack_thrust

parry_left

parry_right

parry_overhead

parry_thrust

I was going to also add them to the player, but I got confused - there is tdm_ai_thief, and tdm_player_thief, but only one md5\chars\thief folder. I would like to know which def file and which folder the player model uses?

I assume the player and the AI are sharing the same animations, but the AI is ignoring some of the anims (like crouch). The player model is using the tdm_player_thief.def, the model is called model_player_thief.

Well "combat" is too generic. I think it needs to be sword because that's what the animation is doing - holding a sword. The hammer's combat idle, or the tree beast combat idle, are going to be very different from each other and not interchangeable.

That's true, we may eventually have different animations for different types of weapons, though that isn't strictly necessary (none of the previous Thiefs did). Perhaps we should call it "combat_idle_sword".

Plus there is already a list of idle_* anims for the AI, eg idle_torch.

Yes, that's why I don't want it to begin as "idle_*".

Won't the player 'hands' have to be done separately? Those will work for the third person model, but not the hands. Just thought I would bring that up in case it was being over looked.

Just to keep everyone up to date - I already sorted this out in a PM with Ish and squill. I assigned the first person anims (view models) to squill.

@squill - from memory, we lost the original files for the view models, but it was not an issue - Dram (I think it was him) just imported the md5mesh and md5anim into 3DS max. You can find the importer/exporter somewhere, maybe in the wiki - I've used it myself and for meshes at least, it seems to work perfect.

He was adjusting the bow firing anim for us.

@Spring - yeah that makes sense. I've put "combat_" before them and committed to SVN. So now it's;

combat_idle_sword

combat_attack_left

combat_attack_right

combat_attack_overhead

combat_attack_thrust

combat_parry_left

combat_parry_right

combat_parry_overhead

combat_parry_thrust

Still having trouble getting the animations onto the player mesh. Doom is saying # of joints don't match.

I'm at work and can't check for certain, but here's a post I made where I asked Dram in a PM where he got the source for them, and he'd replied that he'd imported the md5s. It was in August last year and we had oDDity's files by then.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=6365

And here's the thread where he worked extensively to adjust it to our liking, with pics and everything.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/index.php?showtopic=5889

When I was first playing around with the 1st person stuff, I had to import them to max. They may be in oDD's files too but I haven't look through those in a while. I might have the converted stuff, I'll take a look but this term at school's been a major PITA.

I've got a bunch of bj, sword and bow .mb files in my version of Odd's pack. I think what Dram was saying in that other thread was that the original bow animations *with the bare-armed thief* were lost, not that the current first person ones were lost.

If people need the .mbs I can upload them somewhere.

I've got a bunch of bj, sword and bow .mb files in my version of Odd's pack. I think what Dram was saying in that other thread was that the original bow animations *with the bare-armed thief* were lost, not that the current first person ones were lost.

If people need the .mbs I can upload them somewhere.

yeah that would be great, also keeps the export workflow the same, instead of having to use different methods to animate/export.

Ok, I'll bundle just those directories tonight unless someone beats me to it. Anyone with Odd's pack should have them.

i've added a few parry animations to svn:

models\md5\weapons\broadsword:

parry_left -> goes back to sword idle

parry_right -> " "

parry_left_hold -> stops at block position

parry_right_hold -> " "

created a weapons_viewmodels folder in model_scr with source animations and the anim rig for the broadsword viewmodel.

model_src\weapons_viewmodels:

sword_REF.mb

Animation rig on which i added some controls.

sword_idle_pose.mb

sword idle pose of existing idle

swordmesh.mb

using for exporting (temp)mesh