The Dark Mod Forums

New scroll gui, background, and olde worlde font

Fidcal

Uploaded a new scroll background with a gui and an olde worlde font suitable for a more formal letter or declaration HERE. If good enough can someone transfer it to SVN?

I've remembered I have a load of old freeware ttf fonts I can now convert. I'll try and do a few more over the next year but if anyone has any special request right now then let me know and I'll have a look through.

scroll_formal.jpg

The scroll background can use a better alpha-transition so that the edges don't appear rough. I've uploaded a modified version to your repository, so you can check it out.

In comparison to our existing parchment background, this one seems to be a bit pixelated, it appears a bit low-res. Do you have a more detailed version available? The colours are a bit washed out as well, they could use a bit more sharpness, but that's my personal view.

Agreed. I've just been setting it up in my mission and noticing the washed out look and the edges (fresh from doing icons where a black edge helps a tiny pale image to stand out if the background is light) The quality - this is a rip off from the actual model in game for which there was no readable background. All I could do was suspend a model in good ambient in-game and get as close as I could to fill the screen then snapshot it. Maybe if I repeat with higher res screen set? Or any other way? It wants to match the model.

I have a bunch of hi-res images that I plan on converting to readable guis. I didn't go ahead back a few months ago because we were still sorting out how the guis were going to work and how mappers would customize them.

Feel free to upload whatever images you want as placeholders--that will give me a good indication of what kind of images mappers want. Going though all the gui images and bringing the up to spec is part of what I'll do before release (I'm still working on character models right now).

I've re-enhanced the scroll I did earlier but in-game I am not certain if I don't done something stupid and captured the reverse side. It looks OK but some sharp eye will say the marks on the readable background are on the back of the model in-game! Not certain yet as I am still checking but might have to do the damn thing a third time.

I'm trying to determine the proportions of the displayed readable on-screen so I can get it to approximate the proportions of the model. This scroll seems to stretch/squeeze the original image (the entire image including alpha border) into something like 590 wide x 670 high (proportions.) Where is that defined? In the gui I see CONTENTS_WIDTH 300 and CONTENTS_HEIGHT 400 but that probably is the text area and doesn't seem to equate to the proportions I'm seeing.

Most of the existing readables background are square 512 x 512 and I'm wondering if they are the right proportions if they are subsequently squeezed into a 6 x 7 proportions box.

My original (see image above) is obviously too wide in proportion when compared to the model.

I'm not sure I get what you mean. Can't this be solved by resizing the scroll image within the TGA file? The overall image dimensions can stay the same (possibly 512x512), but the space occupied by the non-transparent scroll part can be resized, can't it?

I think (not sure though) it is the rectangle part in the gui:

windowDef backgroundImage {

WORLD_SCALE

rect -37, -10, 370, 420

background "guis/assets/readables/marble_grey"

matcolor 1, 1, 1, 0

}

the first two coordinates specify the position of the upper right corner of the rectangle, the other two the width and the height (so you can try to set them to something like 400, 400 and see if it helps).

That's due to the GUI texture on the model. The surface with the EntityGUI shader embedded into the model corresponds to a whole GUI screen (640x480). But the GUI doesn't fill the entire screen with text, that's why the EntityGUI surface is not fully covered either. It's a bit of a dilemma, but I guess it can be fixed by stretching the EntityGUI shader on the model a bit in the horizontal dimension.

If you really want to match the world appearance with the popup GUI, the EntityGUI scale and location must be adjusted for each GUI, which is tiresome. Maybe there is another way, I'd have to look into the worldscale stuff in Gildoran's GUI code.