The Dark Mod Forums

Textures missing... almost everywhere.

Crawdaddy79

Hey all - just wondering if it is normal for just about all the walls to be textureless.

Here is what it looks like after inputting the "testlight" command:

tdm01.jpg

tdm02.jpg

The mod appears to be coming along quite well so far... Been a long time since I've played Thief but ten minutes of this makes me want to break the game back out.

My guess is you're running at ultra video settings? Turn it down to High if so. Ultra looks only for .tga textures, and we're using .dds for most things.

My guess is you're running at ultra video settings? Turn it down to High if so. Ultra looks only for .tga textures, and we're using .dds for most things.

The Thief's Den config file should override the settings from Doom.

@Crawdaddy79: Is this after you change some settings, or right from the start?

What kind of hardware (esp. graphic card) and what driver do you have?

Can you please open the console, and enter:

condump console.txt

in it, then send us the console.txt file (it should be written to your Doom folder).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Glad to see that it isn't normal. :)

I went into Doom 3, changed the settings to "high" and applied it. I then renamed the DoomConfig inside the Theifs Den folder and started it up hoping to import the new config file... It seemed to, but there was no difference in the game.

Here is my console dump: http://www.crawspace.com/ss/errors/tdmconsole01.txt

My video card is a Radeon X1950XTX and I am using the Omega 7.12 Drivers (if I use ATI drivers, AA and AF don't work, so that's not an option).

My CPU is Athlon X2 4200+ with 2GB RAM.

I looked in the folders for a handful of textures that show up in the WARNINGs, and they are not in their respective folders...

I downloaded this one from shadowdarkeep - I will try a different mirror and see if the size is different.

Edited by Crawdaddy79

I went into Doom 3, changed the settings to "high" and applied it. I then renamed the DoomConfig inside the Theifs Den folder and started it up hoping to import the new config file... It seemed to, but there was no difference in the game.

Here is my console dump: http://www.crawspace.com/ss/errors/tdmconsole01.txt

My video card is a Radeon X1950XTX and I am using the Omega 7.12 Drivers (if I use ATI drivers, AA and AF don't work, so that's not an option).

My CPU is Athlon X2 4200+ with 2GB RAM.

I looked in the folders for a handful of textures that show up in the WARNINGs, and they are not in their respective folders...

When you unpacked the Thiefs_Den_v1.0.exe file were there any warnings or errors? If yes, then you need to redownload it and unpack it again.

Otherwise, the textures that are missing are probably the ones in DDS format.

Do the Omega drivers support compressed textures? If not you are out of luck :/

Edit: I see there are a lot of PK4s loaded from your base directory. Can you please remove them and try if that helps? Some might interfere with TD.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

You wouldn't want to import a default doom 3 config, you would lose all the TDM settings and configurations.

At any rate, our config file will over ride the doom 3 default settings. Must be some kind of driver issue, or a corrupt download.

I downloaded from a separate site, same files 'missing', reinstalled anyway, same results.

Regarding Omega drivers supporting compressed textures... I am 99% sure that they do.

(Also with the Omega 7.10 drivers there were the same missing textures...)

I also went into the TDM config and found that the compressed texture setting was set to "0". I changed it to 1, started up TDM (no textures again), exited, and found that the setting was reset back to "0".

It's more likely the config file though - I played it on ultra by mistake at first and all those same textures were black as they are .dds files.

Were exactly is the "Ultra" setting stored? Is it just a certain combinations of config settings? Then just putting in the TDM original config file will do the trick:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/DoomConfig.cfg

Were exactly is the "Ultra" setting stored? Is it just a certain combinations of config settings? Then just putting in the TDM original config file will do the trick:

http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/DoomConfig.cfg

I'm of the mindset that it is pulling settings from another config file (like what I was saying earlier about importing) upon startup - like the CustomH&W of 1680 x 1050.

I'll try removing other config files from other mods and see if they are interfering (somehow).

I also went into the TDM config and found that the compressed texture setting was set to "0". I changed it to 1, started up TDM (no textures again), exited, and found that the setting was reset back to "0".

Hmmm, so you aren't able to get the settings to stick?

These two are the most important.

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useCompression "1"

You might want to try dropping the resolution down to 640 x 480, shutting down and then saving those settings to the doomconfig.cfg in the Thiefs_Den folder, using the one that shipped with Thiefs Den of course.

I've found the configuration setup a bit tricky in doom 3 sometimes. Pretty sure I've seen the resolution accidentally change the inner settings. Worth a shot anyway.

I'm of the mindset that it is pulling settings from another config file (like what I was saying earlier about importing) upon startup - like the CustomH&W of 1680 x 1050.

I'll try removing other config files from other mods and see if they are interfering (somehow).

If you have other mods installed, they could be interfering.

Okay it's fixed.

Apparently, at one time or another I don't even remember... I either created or modified an autoexec.cfg and that is what was 'resetting' the settings to Ultra every time I started the game up.

:blush:

Ah good, I'll add this to the wiki page.