The Dark Mod Forums

LeotheLion: Application

LeotheLion

Hi,

I practice modeling now and then, so I may as well model something that would help this mod, which I have been following for a while (Thiefs 1-3 are among my favorite games.)

Some recent work is shown below in spoiler tags because the pictures are big.

CONCEPT WORK

so8xt1.jpg

27ywphe.jpg

STRUCTURAL MODELING

Respective to above concept work.

2nsrz7q.jpg

2ypk6r6.jpg

2ajyzjm.jpg

CHARACTER MODELING

Cloth articles high polygon mesh for details.

2587b74.jpg

oanksp.jpg

and a low poly mesh (and the rest of the model) for real-time use.

28hlyld.jpg

Best regards,

Leothelion

Hi Leo. We're not in any need for new characters any longer as we had a great selection of characters modeled by oDDity and they are capable of being redressed in many ways.

If you're interested in object modeling, I could open up an application for you. It's difficult to get a feel for your work from the renders as they look extremely clean. Do you have any ingame doom 3 renders of some work you've done?

Hi Leo. We're not in any need for new characters any longer as we had a great selection of characters modeled by oDDity and they are capable of being redressed in many ways.

If you're interested in object modeling, I could open up an application for you. It's difficult to get a feel for your work from the renders as they look extremely clean. Do you have any ingame doom 3 renders of some work you've done?

Hi,

I could do object modeling no problem.

I'll post some object work a bit after 4 today.

Anyways, I do not have experiance with the doom 3 engine in particular, but I have Modo301 so I can convert all my .obj files into .lwo.

Hard Object Examples:

Door Handle

27ycv8p.jpg

Lock for Door Handle

5p1q8w.jpg

Soft Object Examples:

Low poly mesh hat, robe, pants, and band for closing robe.

nosfaa.jpg

[EDIT: tree model has been reworked substantially, this morning. Scroll down to alter post.]

Edited by LeotheLion

When you say "low poly" tree, how many tris are we talking? We still do need some bare trees just like the one above.

When you say "low poly" tree, how many tris are we talking? We still do need some bare trees just like the one above.

About 800 quads. I can add smaller braches to increase detail or remove branches to lower the count.

I can go up or down because I retain editable subdivisions. I can go down to 300 quads for a decently smooth tree with a few less smaller branches.

Speaking of which, does Doom 3 support normal maps?

Edited by LeotheLion

Speaking of which, does Doom 3 support normal maps?

Yes. You can have specularmaps, bumpmaps, cubemaps, mirrormaps (reflections) and "animated" render stages to some extent, plus various blend modi (add, blend, alpha, etc.).

D3 has a built-in renderbump and renderbumpflat command to create normalmaps from hipoly models, but there are other tools which are faster (xNormals, for instance). I'm sure you'll know a way to create normalmaps from your 3D app too.

I reworked the tree a bit during this morning. About 2400 quads including the ground. Rocks can be 60 quads each If I just add a bit more detail and then map each one with 1024 x 1024 normals.

EDIT: Oh yeah, should mention that the image compression is distorting the thin branches a bit, so click the image to see full size 900 by 800 view.

3521bf4.jpg

2rh4iso.jpg

x5xs94.jpg

Sorry, but that's a pretty cartoonish-looking model for a something with that many polys. It doesn't look like any kind of real bird at all, let alone a finch. When was the last time you saw a bird with round airplane wings?

Your tree shows some promise, though I'd like to see what it looks like textured. But you definitely need to make more use of photoreference in your organic work.

958851.JPG

Just a quick tip, LeoTheLion, we need separate models, so it is best if you work on one thing (tree or bird) at a time. Also, static things (like trees) are much easier, because f.i. for birds we do not really have code for them at the moment.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tree looks OK, but it's still too high poly. You don't really need to model those thin branches. They should be texture with alpha channel. That will give you nicer fine detail to the tree (if texture is good, of course) with lower polycount.

If you're not used to game art it might take you a while to accept the compromise you have to go for with the details of a mesh. Texture is where you can/should put all detail.

Bird looks like built of several meshes. I'd say they would look better (and probably animate better) as one continous mesh. (wings are just sticked to the body at this moment).

Oh, and try to post images of smoothed models - that's more how we see them in game.

Bird looks like built of several meshes. I'd say they would look better (and probably animate better) as one continous mesh. (wings are just sticked to the body at this moment).

Oh, and try to post images of smoothed models - that's more how we see them in game.

Does doom 3 smooth the model by using a shaders?

Also, static things (like trees) are much easier, because f.i. for birds we do not really have code for them at the moment.

I will make some architecture work.

I'll fix and incorporate the bird.

I've also cut the polycount significantly, to 904 quad including the tree branches and the bird.

D3 only accepts models with tris, so that will double your poly count. 1800 polys is probably a little on the high side for a tree, though it might be okay with a simplified shadowmesh.

Does doom 3 smooth the model by using a shaders?

I'm not 100% sure about the smoothing (so anybody who knows better feel free to correct me).

D3 can import ASE and LWO file formats. ASE file format is what our 3DS and Blender users are exporting to, and I think D3 is smoothing the entire mesh in that ASE model. You don't need a special shader for that, it's just applied to all the vertex normals during import.

I'm not sure what happens to LWO meshes.

.lwos are not smoothed by default. You smooth each surface to whatever amount you desire in the surface editor (using LightWave).

All game engines support smoothing... maybe Quake 2 did not - I can't remember now...

Yes, LWO files give you bigger control over the smoothing. It can be done also in some convertion application (like Deep Exploration). So even if you don't work in Lightwave you don't have to deal only with ASE files.

I'm pretty sure you cannot affect the amount of smoothing in Doom by adjusting it in LW though, it's either on or off I think (but then it's ages since I've done any modleing for the doom engine :/

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm pretty sure you cannot affect the amount of smoothing in Doom by adjusting it in LW though, it's either on or off I think

I can verify that it does make a difference. If smoothing is too high you start get weird shadows on most objects, which are fixed by reducing the amount of smoothing. That's the reason the citywatch has that black shadow on his butt, because the smooth value on the mesh is set at 180. Lower it to around 90 and it goes away.

OK, I've taken your guys advice on poly count for a new model of an entrance to some ruins:

[EDIT: these are also viewport screenshots so theres no AA.]

2z9lfnl.jpg

2hcdaw3.jpg

So here's the stats; 157 quads for low poly version, ~400K quads for high poly which would be converted into normal map.

LPM

i3sx2g.jpg

HPM

243mats.jpg

Also, how do objects generated in CAD, such as the picture below, work out in the doom 3 engine, because the CAD works on double-sided polygons and in some programs it causes faces to load reversed and not visible.

mj2075.jpg

The problem with models like that ruins entrance is that it is really only useful if it is *exactly* what the mapper wanted. Since mappers are probably going to have their own ideas of what size, shape, and look they want for their ruins, they're more likely to just make it from brushes and patches.

Very specific architecture like that is not very useful unless it's specifically requested by a mapper.

As for the CAD question, I have no idea. But again, those stairs could very easily be made using brushes in the game editor, which would then allow mappers to make them the exact size and length that they want.

Btw, can you keep the image sizes down to a reasonable width? 600 should be fine.